Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

George Carlin dead at the age of 71

Old 06-24-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
well here's his most poular rutine on youtube
Does anyone know what DVD this is from?
Old 06-24-08, 02:07 AM

George Carlin had such a great mind. He could take things in normal life and turn them into a barrel of laughs. I often wondered how he came up with the stuff for his act. Here's my favorite piece of his.

"Stuff"

Actually this is just a place for my stuff, ya know? That's all, a little place for my stuff. That's all I want, that's all you need in life, is a little place for your stuff, ya know? I can see it on your table, everybody's got a little place for their stuff. This is my stuff, that's your stuff, that'll be his stuff over there. That's all you need in life, a little place for your stuff. That's all your house is: a place to keep your stuff. If you didn't have so much stuff, you wouldn't need a house. You could just walk around all the time.

A house is just a pile of stuff with a cover on it. You can see that when you're taking off in an airplane. You look down, you see everybody's got a little pile of stuff. All the little piles of stuff. And when you leave your house, you gotta lock it up. Wouldn't want somebody to come by and take some of your stuff. They always take the good stuff. They never bother with that crap you're saving. All they want is the shiny stuff. That's what your house is, a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get...more stuff!

Sometimes you gotta move, gotta get a bigger house. Why? No room for your stuff anymore. Did you ever notice when you go to somebody else's house, you never quite feel a hundred percent at home? You know why? No room for your stuff. Somebody else's stuff is all over the goddamn place! And if you stay overnight, unexpectedly, they give you a little bedroom to sleep in. Bedroom they haven't used in about eleven years. Someone died in it, eleven years ago. And they haven't moved any of his stuff! Right next to the bed there's usually a dresser or a bureau of some kind, and there's NO ROOM for your stuff on it. Somebody else's shit is on the dresser.

Have you noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff? God! And you say, "Get that shit offa there and let me put my stuff down!"

Sometimes you leave your house to go on vacation. And you gotta take some of your stuff with you. Gotta take about two big suitcases full of stuff, when you go on vacation. You gotta take a smaller version of your house. It's the second version of your stuff. And you're gonna fly all the way to Honolulu. Gonna go across the continent, across half an ocean to Honolulu. You get down to the hotel room in Honolulu and you open up your suitcase and you put away all your stuff. "Here's a place here, put a little bit of stuff there, put some stuff here, put some stuff--you put your stuff there, I'll put some stuff--here's another place for stuff, look at this, I'll put some stuff here..." And even though you're far away from home, you start to get used to it, you start to feel okay, because after all, you do have some of your stuff with you. That's when your friend calls up from Maui, and says, "Hey, why don'tchya come over to Maui for the weekend and spend a couple of nights over here."

Oh, no! Now what do I pack? Right, you've gotta pack an even SMALLER version of your stuff. The third version of your house. Just enough stuff to take to Maui for a coupla days. You get over to Maui--I mean you're really getting extended now, when you think about it. You got stuff ALL the way back on the mainland, you got stuff on another island, you got stuff on this island. I mean, supply lines are getting longer and harder to maintain. You get over to your friend's house on Maui and he gives you a little place to sleep, a little bed right next to his windowsill or something. You put some of your stuff up there. You put your stuff up there. You got your Visine, you got your nail clippers, and you put everything up. It takes about an hour and a half, but after a while you finally feel okay, say, "All right, I got my nail clippers, I must be okay." That's when your friend says, "Aaaaay, I think tonight we'll go over the other side of the island, visit a pal of mine and maybe stay over."

Aww, no. NOW what do you pack? Right--you gotta pack an even SMALLER version of your stuff. The fourth version of your house. Only the stuff you know you're gonna need. Money, keys, comb, wallet, lighter, hanky, pen, smokes, rubber and change. Well, only the stuff you HOPE you're gonna need.

Old 06-24-08, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by abrg923
Does anyone know what DVD this is from?
You are All Deseased

That was the first exposure of Carlin to me. I remeber watching it in the kitchen with my mom, with me not getting most of the jokes, and her turning it off after a couple of minutes (i was about 12 or 13) It was probably after the 'relax bruno, you smell like an anchovies ****' line which crossed it.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 06-24-08 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-24-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm happy that I had the chance to see him a few years ago, before "Complaints and Grievances" I believe. I was a little surprised that he seemed in a good mood- warm to the crowd and all. I was used to his "older/meaner" thing, and I guess if all you've ever seen are his HBO specials, you really didn't get the complete picture of him. He seemed like he'd be around forever...

I was thinking on the way to work as I was listening to "You Are All Diseased" that it would've been great to hear an update on 'airport security'. RIP George
Old 06-24-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This morning on XM 150 they played his Unmasked interview at 7am CST. What a great commute I had. Fastest hour I ever spent in my car. A great introspective on his career and life if you can get a chance to listen.
Old 06-24-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

June 25th and 26th, HBO2 will be presenting 11 HBO George Carlin specials:

http://www.hbo.com/events/george-car...eat_main_image

The June 25th line up, in particular, looks awesome.
Old 06-24-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn. I wish I still had HBO. I'm tempted to get that special DVD set of all his specials through DDD, but probably won't. This would've made that decision even easier.

I remember watching the religion bit of that special with my ex. Her mom was doing something in the kitchen and I was the only one laughing. I never found out if it was their strong Catholic beliefs or that they enjoyed "comedies" such as "The Pacifier."
Old 06-24-08, 08:35 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Wow, someone deleted my post about not believing in Corporate America but still going to work every day. What's that all about??

It was a joke!!
Sorry about removing your post, but it quoted a threadcrap that was removed, so it didn't seem to make sense when you excluded the quote. It was not a reflection of your post.
Old 06-24-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

someone deleted my post too?

wow. HOORAY FOR CENSORSHIP! Carlin would be proud!
Old 06-25-08, 12:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
someone deleted my post too?

wow. HOORAY FOR CENSORSHIP! Carlin would be proud!

Old 06-25-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

O'rielly is a hypocrite.
Old 06-25-08, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I miss him already.

In the same interview I mentioned a few posts up, he was asked what he would want on his tombstone, to which Carlin replied "He was just here a minute ago..."

One of my favorites: football and baseball
Old 06-25-08, 04:58 AM
Banned

Just to make a note (for those of you who don't own the SNL Season 1 DVD box set) - this saturday, NBC is airing the first episode of NBC's Saturday Night with George Carlin as host.
Old 06-25-08, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525

O'rielly is a hypocrite.
It's a spice in my stew Gotta love George
Old 06-25-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still miss him

I didn't hear about it until Monday morning, but I was floored when I did. He's a personal hero of mine and it's sad to see him go. I almost saw him live this year in East Lansing... but I had to give up the tickets at the last minute (I knew I'd regret that). I'll have to finally pick up that "All My Stuff" set.

Wherever he is (smiling down, screaming up, or with his holiness Joe Pesci), he'll be missed.

Here's one of his simpler, but one of my favorite bits of his:

And I finally found that "Unmasked" interview, if anybody hasn't heard it. Here's the site, along with some other interviews as well (Brian Regan, Lewis Black...) Enjoy.
http://brianbednarski.com/unmaskedRadio/
Old 06-25-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
this saturday, NBC is airing the first episode of NBC's Saturday Night with George Carlin as host.
That'll be something to see, especially if they have anyone interesting saying a few words beforehand.

Carlin admitted that he was high on cocaine for that show, for those of you who didn't know already.
Old 06-25-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega
Sorry about removing your post, but it quoted a threadcrap that was removed, so it didn't seem to make sense when you excluded the quote. It was not a reflection of your post.
Got it - thanks for the info!
Old 06-25-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't get all the love for him. He was a hack that stole Lenny Bruce's act when he died.
Old 06-26-08, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme
I still miss him

I didn't hear about it until Monday morning, but I was floored when I did.
I was moving into my new apartment this weekend, had too much "Stuff" and needed more room, and also didn't hear the news till Monday. Certainly brought me down for a bit. After the news I relived a bit because I knew that Kevin Smith would surely post something touching and slightly crude about Carlin. He soon posted his feelings on the beloved comic. People may think that Jersey Girl was a waste of film but Carlin was a shining star in that overlooked film. I will certainly be picking up all his specials in the near future.
Old 06-26-08, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
I have his entire "Little David Years" box set on my mp3 player, and listen to it quite often. I grew up listening to those same records, and I always enjoyed his sense of humor and his insight on pretty much everything he took on. He had a unique way of looking at the smallest, trivial things, and was just the right combination of serious and goofy.

I was extremely shocked when I read that he had passed on, and that night at work I listened to one of his albums. Coincidentally enough, it had one of his routines about death on it, and I had to wonder as I was listening...did he get the two-minute warning?

One thing I'll always remember about him is one of his appearances on the Tonight Show that nobody I've talked to seems to remember themselves. He came out and said absolutely nothing for five minutes. He just stood there and looked out at the crowd, and all he did was occasionally change the expression on his face just slightly. But he did it in such a way that it only got funnier and funnier, and at the end the crowd gave him an ovation like he had just told the funniest joke you'd ever heard in your life...and he hadn't said a word! It's one of those things where I've never seen it since, nobody else seems to remember it, but I remember it being so different, and the way people reacted to him I knew there was a reason he was as big as he was, and that was the reason I got into his comedy. Does anyone else remember that appearance?

RIP George. You were one of the great ones, and your influence will continue to be felt for years to come.

Originally Posted by waporvare
He was a hack that stole Lenny Bruce's act when he died.
Whatever.
Old 06-26-08, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Venusian
Let's try this again.

Use this thread to discuss Carlin's life and whatever, but NOT the merits of his work. Basically think of it as a tribute thread. If you want to discuss the merits or lack there of of his work, start another thread.
Old 06-26-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the tip... Mod.

Last I checked, this thread is full of his fans "discussing his life or whatever," and this IS a tribute thread, so I'm really not sure why you're choosing to post here.

(You can always go start the "George Carlin is in Hell" thread. Knock yourself out)
Old 06-26-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

removed reference to religious article sidetrack

I completely regret not seeing him in Vegas.

Damn

Last edited by VinVega; 06-26-08 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-26-08, 07:50 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Dave7393
Thanks for the tip... Mod.
I probably don't see eye to eye with creekdipper on a lot of issues, but he's absolutely correct here. The religion debate can be had in several other threads. This one specifically asked in the 1st post that it not be sidetracked and I appreciate him keeping it that way considering his own opinions on the topic.

That being said, creekdipper, if you see a post that doesn't look right or violates forum rules, please report it to the mods. Thanks.

I've removed the tangential post with the religious article in it and any posts referencing it. If we go down this road again, we'll have to lock the thread and just end the Carlin remembrance threads.
Old 06-26-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega
I probably don't see eye to eye with creekdipper on a lot of issues, but he's absolutely correct here. The religion debate can be had in several other threads. This one specifically asked in the 1st post that it not be sidetracked and I appreciate him keeping it that way considering his own opinions on the topic.

I've removed the tangential post with the religious article in it and any posts referencing it. If we go down this road again, we'll have to lock the thread and just end the Carlin remembrance threads.
So he himself obviously saw no problem introducing religion into the other Carlin thread, but is offended if someone is critical of Fred Phelps (of all people) in this one?

Okay.

That being said, creekdipper, if you see a post that doesn't look right or violates forum rules, please report it to the mods. Thanks.
With all due respect, since he made several of his own posts that didn't "look right" in the other (locked) thread, I suppose he would know what to look for.

Moving on....

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.