Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone use $2 bills...and if so, where do you get them?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Anyone use $2 bills...and if so, where do you get them?

Old 06-19-08, 01:13 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Heart of the Heart
Posts: 9,021
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone use $2 bills...and if so, where do you get them?

I've decided I'm going to start using $2 bills to do my part to increase circulation of this rarely used and misunderstood demonination. The question is, where can I get them in bulk? I stopped by my bank the other day and asked if they had any...and was told that they "had two or three." I told the teller I'm looking for 2 or 3 hundred or more, and he didn't have much information on how they could get that many. Fortunately I was able to use the microsoft 35% cash back deal to score 300 $2 bills on Ebay the other day for $1.56 each. Any ideas how I can get more???
Old 06-19-08, 01:57 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,741
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ask another teller... any bank should be able to order some for you (well, not ANY bank, you'd probably need to have an account there first).
Old 06-19-08, 03:20 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 1,225
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't usually go out of my way to get a hold of $2 bills; however, I've always heard that you will want to order them ahead of time from your bank. They are still the denomination with the smallest print run so a typical bank may not have many on hand at any given time.

Michael
Old 06-19-08, 06:01 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Mankal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,687
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my bank order them for me in the past when I took them on a cruise or Vegas to use as tips
Old 06-19-08, 07:57 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,325
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I never get them or use them, that goes for that useless dollar coin as well.
Old 06-19-08, 08:09 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 7,566
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Last time I was at Monticello you could pick them up as they were often given as change if you paid cash.
Old 06-19-08, 08:30 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 124,079
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
I have a friend who always has a stock of them and uses them for tipping.
Old 06-19-08, 08:50 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 5,947
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you should try to pay off your Best Buy bill with them.

Man arrested, cuffed after using $2 bills
Old 06-19-08, 09:01 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,915
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone was selling 25 attached $2 bills for $55 on ebay the other day. I did a search for attached dollar on ebay as I have 4 one dollar bills that are attached in numerical order and was wondering if they had any value, apparently not as this guy had 25 attached two dollar bills and didnt even have a bid on them with a day or two left.
Old 06-19-08, 09:07 AM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,214
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just checked eBay for $2 bills and it's nuts - people pay more than the bills are worth e.g. someone has bid $9.99 + $3 shipping for 5-$2 bills.

So, all you need to do on there is pickup some uncirculated $2 bills from the bank, place them in groups of 5 ($10 total cost). Then put on there $3 S&H, but mail with just a stamp ($.50 for envelope and stamp).

Even after eBay fees, you still make out with a buck.
Old 06-19-08, 09:45 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Heart of the Heart
Posts: 9,021
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
I just checked eBay for $2 bills and it's nuts - people pay more than the bills are worth e.g. someone has bid $9.99 + $3 shipping for 5-$2 bills.

So, all you need to do on there is pickup some uncirculated $2 bills from the bank, place them in groups of 5 ($10 total cost). Then put on there $3 S&H, but mail with just a stamp ($.50 for envelope and stamp).

Even after eBay fees, you still make out with a buck.
Yeah, seems a few people make a business out of it on ebay. I actually bought 3 100 packs for $236 each. That's a 16% profit (less fees.) Obviously I wouldn't have bought them if I wasn't getting 35% back.
Old 06-19-08, 09:47 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Heart of the Heart
Posts: 9,021
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fiver
I don't usually go out of my way to get a hold of $2 bills; however, I've always heard that you will want to order them ahead of time from your bank. They are still the denomination with the smallest print run so a typical bank may not have many on hand at any given time.

Michael
Yeah, only 1% of all bills printed are $2. I guess I'll need to speak to the bank manager and ask if they can order a brick (10 x 100) for me. That should hold me over for a few years.
Old 06-19-08, 09:54 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
McHawkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: America Empire
Posts: 14,752
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went on US Treasury website and they recommended me to go to http://www.moneyfactory.gov/. Unforuntately, there's no $2 note available there. But they do have $2 note uncut sheet.
Old 06-19-08, 10:05 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,439
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
Someone was selling 25 attached $2 bills for $55 on ebay the other day. I did a search for attached dollar on ebay as I have 4 one dollar bills that are attached in numerical order and was wondering if they had any value, apparently not as this guy had 25 attached two dollar bills and didnt even have a bid on them with a day or two left.
Interesting. You can go to the engraving and printing office here in D.C. and they have a whole gift shop where you can buy any bills you want, cut or uncut, etc at face value. They also sell 1 million dollar bags of money, shredded for like a dollar. Sounds like this guy is trying to pull a fast one, I think you can probably order from the government all the stuff online.


As for the $2 bills, as someone else said, any bank should have them. I usually get $50 worth of them when we go on a cruise as someone mentioned. When your handing out tips, etc it's a lot easier to just grab one bill out of your pocket and hand it over instead of flipping through all the money the person isn't going to get.
Old 06-19-08, 10:38 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,915
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
I just checked eBay for $2 bills and it's nuts - people pay more than the bills are worth e.g. someone has bid $9.99 + $3 shipping for 5-$2 bills.

So, all you need to do on there is pickup some uncirculated $2 bills from the bank, place them in groups of 5 ($10 total cost). Then put on there $3 S&H, but mail with just a stamp ($.50 for envelope and stamp).

Even after eBay fees, you still make out with a buck.
You might want to insure or delivery confirm that too. Thats another 60 cents, or 14 cents if you use paypal's shipping service, plus the cost of toner.

Say you still make $1 on a $13 investment, thats about what 7-8% isnt worth anyone's time. Not really the heist of the century

I try to get 30-100% on anything I flip on ebay.
Old 06-19-08, 04:41 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by emanon
I think you should try to pay off your Best Buy bill with them.

Man arrested, cuffed after using $2 bills
According to the Sun report, the police arrest report noted one employee noticed some smearing of ink on the bills. That's when the cops were called. One officer reportedly noticed the bills ran in sequential order.
OF COURSE THE INK SMEARED. This is where the Best Buy employees FAILED at recognizing legit currency...REAL currency uses ink that never completely dries. You can always smear it. The older the money, the harder it might smear off, but you can smear it on to paper if you press down on it.

And of course they ran in sequential order...they are RARELY USED and they are NEW. Fake bills would more than likely have the SAME SERIAL NUMBER over and over again.

IDIOTS. I swear they don't teach kids about money in schools anymore. Reminds me the time I had some half dollars to pay for a slushie with at a candy store in the mall and the clerk had to ask her manager if they were real.

There is a similar Taco Bell story regarding 2 dollar bills I am too lazy to Google at this moment, but it's about as outrageous. Best Buy should have waived the fee after all of that and then some.

I will keep that in mind if I ever decide to start printing my own money..Best Buy employees think smearing ink on currency is a sign of a fake! My laser printer will use ink that dries quickly and they will HAVE to think that is real!

Last edited by calhoun07; 06-19-08 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 04:57 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,150
Likes: 0
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Taco Bell
In a story, documented on Snopes.com, a Taco Bell patron attempted to pay for a burrito with a two-dollar bill. The cashier and the store manager both refused to accept it as valid U.S. currency, believing that there was no such thing as a two-dollar bill. When the patron then said that the only other bill he had was a fifty-dollar bill, the manager said that since it was less than an hour to closing, he didn't want to open the safe. When the patron insisted on paying with it, they called the security guard, who then explained that two-dollar bills are actually valid U.S. currency.
Use of $2 bills to show economic impact
Because $2 bills are uncommon, their use can make a particular group of spenders visible. A documented case of using two-dollar bills to send a message to a community is the case of Geneva Steel and the communities in the surrounding Utah County. In 1989, Geneva Steel paid its employee bonuses in $2 bills. When the bills began showing up everywhere, people recognized the importance of the company to the local economy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...wo-dollar_bill

Old 06-19-08, 05:07 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 761
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any halfway decent bank should be able to get some for you. Call them in advance next time.
Old 06-19-08, 05:28 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 4,771
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I've decided I'm going to start using $2 bills to do my part to increase circulation of this rarely used and misunderstood demonination. The question is, where can I get them in bulk? I stopped by my bank the other day and asked if they had any...and was told that they "had two or three." I told the teller I'm looking for 2 or 3 hundred or more, and he didn't have much information on how they could get that many. Fortunately I was able to use the microsoft 35% cash back deal to score 300 $2 bills on Ebay the other day for $1.56 each. Any ideas how I can get more???
Explain to me how you managed to buy $600 in currency for $468.

1. Buy money with money
2. Use Microsoft 35% cash back
3. Profit!!!
Old 06-19-08, 05:47 PM
  #20  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,214
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
You might want to insure or delivery confirm that too. Thats another 60 cents, or 14 cents if you use paypal's shipping service, plus the cost of toner.

Say you still make $1 on a $13 investment, thats about what 7-8% isnt worth anyone's time. Not really the heist of the century

I try to get 30-100% on anything I flip on ebay.
Well aren't you special.
Old 06-19-08, 07:36 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Heart of the Heart
Posts: 9,021
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Palaver
Explain to me how you managed to buy $600 in currency for $468.

1. Buy money with money
2. Use Microsoft 35% cash back
3. Profit!!!
It was a sweet deal. There are people selling 100 packs of $2 bills on ebay for $236. I purchased three units for $708 + $10 for insurance on the shipment. Microsoft was offering 35% off everything on ebay (using Buy It Now and checking out with PayPal) on Monday and much of Tuesday. So I paid $718.50 through paypal and will get $248 (35% of $708) refunded to me in 60 days. Net cost is $470 for 300 $2 bills, or $1.56 each!
Old 06-19-08, 07:45 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 3,512
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the only place to get $2 bills was from grandparents...
Old 06-22-08, 03:43 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Heart of the Heart
Posts: 9,021
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gilbertr76
I thought the only place to get $2 bills was from grandparents...
Yeah, that's where I got mine.

Picked up another 300 $2 bills for $468. Hopefully 600 should hold me over for a while.
Old 06-22-08, 03:53 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard using $2 bills was like some sort of unspoken swinger/gay/fight club? meet up thing.
Old 06-22-08, 05:23 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Working for Gizmonic Institute
Posts: 10,428
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I heard using $2 bills was like some sort of unspoken swinger/gay/fight club? meet up thing.
$3 bill...

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.