Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What's your unpopular opinion?

Old 09-05-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: What's your unpopular opinion?

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Bacon belongs on everything.
My issue with it on pizza is that it overpowers EVERYTHING, and all I can taste is bacon.
Old 09-05-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
My issue with it on pizza is that it overpowers EVERYTHING, and all I can taste is bacon.
not sure I see the problem here. Sounds more like a solution or feature than a bug....
Old 09-05-19, 10:23 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with you Joe. I love bacon, but it's a mixed bag on pizza, especially when the quality of said bacon can vary so much.
Old 09-05-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
not sure I see the problem here. Sounds more like a solution or feature than a bug....
What's the point of spending all the money on a meat lovers pizza if all you can taste is bacon?
Old 09-05-19, 01:05 PM

Speaking of bacon and pizza...

"Canadian Bacon" is just ham, baby! Don't be fooled by the clever marketing name!
Old 09-05-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's the point of spending all the money on a meat lovers pizza if all you can taste is bacon?

Ok now Im on the same page. I was thinking the complaint was Bacon pizza tasting like bacon, not a meat lovers tasting only of bacon...
Old 09-05-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
There is no such thing as "talent".
I agree.
Old 09-06-19, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
After spending an unholy amount of time this weekend trying to do household DIY stuff, my latest unpopular opinion is that we need to stop telling people that they can do anything if they just put in practice and hard work. There are simply some things that some folks are going to be more talented at than others. I could start taking drawing lessons right now, and after 5 years there would still be people on DeviantArt or whatever that can whip up a cocktail napkin doodle a hundred times better than anything I could make because I don't have the drawing talent.

Telling kids, especially, that they can do anything if they just put their mind to it, is a vicious lie.

*EVERYBODY* should get the opportunity to try things, but they should also be taught that if you realize it's not working, then stop wasting your time and money and try something else.

I have made it clear to my wife we will be hiring someone to finish remodeling our condo.
There is so much truth to this statement and a lot of source of frustration to young people. It's not that anyone can become anything if they put their mind to it. It's anyone has the opportunity but not necessarily the ability, fortitude, talent etc.
Old 09-06-19, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
I agree.
Okay, you can call it innate ability.

If I put in the same number of hours of practice as Roger Federer, I still wouldn't be able to win Wimbleton. I wouldn't even be a top-100 player. The top-100 players all work as hard as Roger Federer, and they can't beat him. They have something I don't, and he has something that they don't. I call that missing something "talent".
Old 09-06-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post

If I put in the same number of hours of practice as Roger Federer, I still wouldn't be able to win Wimbleton. I wouldn't even be a top-100 player. The top-100 players all work as hard as Roger Federer, and they can't beat him. They have something I don't, and he has something that they don't. I call that missing something "talent".
And with this, I agree. (Pardoning your misspelling of Wimbledon. )

All things being equal, some people are just better at some things than other people.
Old 09-06-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, that makes sense. I do like it on pizza, but as the only topping so I can savor it without worrying about the other toppings.

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post

Thank you, well said.

Practice and learning will improve things, but you can't force the "spark" that some people have.
Old 09-06-19, 05:32 PM

Both Michael Jackson and Madonna are overrated in a purely objective sense.
Old 09-06-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Banh Mi is a terrible sandwich
Old 09-06-19, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Banh Mi is a terrible sandwich
I know, right? Itís just a ham sandwich. Whenever we get pho my wife always gets that and it seems so bland when Iím enjoying the big noodle bowl.
Old 09-09-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I know, right? Itís just a ham sandwich.
Wherever you are buying them is doing it wrong or your wife is having them leave off a lot of the ingredients.

On this topic, pho is highly overrated. Sure, it is a pleasant lunch on a cold winter day (like any other hot soup), but it just isn't all that remarkable. I am especially bitter since every "Vietnamese" restaurant that is anywhere near my office basically just serves pho and virtually nothing else. Good Vietnamese food is so damn amazing.
Old 09-09-19, 09:39 AM

Yeah if your Banh Mi sandwich is "bland", you need to start going to another place.
Old 09-09-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The other stuff we get from there is good, like the cold egg rolls with the shrimp in them and peanut sauce and the noodle bowls, so maybe the banh mi just isn't their strong suit, though my still loves it.
Old 09-13-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, so the wife wanted to go out and we ended up at the pho place and of course she got a banh mi and I tried a bit .... and it tasted okay. Maybe it was a different kind or something but I could see why she likes it.
Old 09-14-19, 02:52 PM
Political Exile

My unpopular opinion is that solar power is not anywhere nearly as "green" as its supporters want us to believe. For each MWh of electricity that is produced, solar power creates 300 times as much toxic waste as nuclear power.
Old 09-14-19, 08:14 PM

But that's not an opinion, that's a fact that's difficult to confront. And it's not just about sonar panels but of e-waste, overall. The solar companies are looking into ways to handle this better.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h-toxic-waste/
Old 09-15-19, 11:01 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by story View Post
But that's not an opinion, that's a fact that's difficult to confront. And it's not just about sonar panels but of e-waste, overall. The solar companies are looking into ways to handle this better.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h-toxic-waste/

Thank you for the link.

Sometimes a fact and an opinion can overlap. It's a very popular opinion that solar power is clean. Therefore, it's a very unpopular opinion that solar power is not clean. It's an opinion, and it's also a fact.
Old 09-15-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you don't know it's a fact, it's an uninformed opinion.
Old 09-15-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Gay emojis are easy to find.
Old 09-15-19, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
My unpopular opinion is that solar power is not anywhere nearly as "green" as its supporters want us to believe. For each MWh of electricity that is produced, solar power creates 300 times as much toxic waste as nuclear power.
That's very true, and as story has proved, also a sad fact. The problem, as I see it, is that batteries and a cheap way to store the energy produced by solar means, are expensive and inefficient, both in terms of resources used to produce them, and polluting to manufacture.

There does not seem to be a good solution in sight. Solar energy, on paper, feels good, but in practice and in reality is quite bad. Greedy companies, expensive to put in, ineffiicient (only about 25% efficient presently), and even more of a pain, because even with full solar energy panels installed, you still can't disconnect from the grid entirely. So tight is the collusion between the state and the power companies. They claim safey / fire hazard issues, but that's total bullshit. They still charge a ridiculous and expensive monthly minimum usage "connection fee" even if you use 0 Kwhr per month. That's the worst and most unattractive part of going fully solar, at least to me.