Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What's your unpopular opinion?

Old 06-19-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by brizz
while we're on the topic of decriminalizing drugs:

all non-violent drug offenders should be released from our prisons today. It is a racket designed to siphon billions of dollars out of public treasuries and does nothing to make you or I any safer.
I agree 100% on that one.

And since we are on the topic of letting the innocent go free...

All state prosecutors should work with Project Innocence to free all the people wrongfully convicted of crime they did not commit.

The justice system (and laws) should absolve all people exonerated by new evidence and stop saying "we can't fix it" bullshit.
Old 06-19-08, 12:03 PM

When's the last time somebody in the United States starved to death? Barring being trapped somewhere and unable to get help, of course. To imply that our situation here is in any way comparable to what's happening in third world countries is absurd.
Old 06-19-08, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jpoppe
Thank you, sir -- you are a gentleman and a scholar. I applaud you.

The same can be said for all of the money we just fucking give away to all of those other continents who have suffered through earthquakes, tsunamis, and other natural disasters. We have our own domestic issues here in America and we're taking a backseat to people who don't even want our fucking help.

I will also add that any celebradouches who adopt children from anywhere other than America should be kicked in the taints.

In summation: America first, everyone else a distant second.

I'll step down off my soapbox now.
Say it loud and say it proud my brothers and sisters. Believe it or not, I once got in a fist fight over that one. And it is always the same answer from these people (and remember i am about as liberal as they come), "well the government can help our people". Fucking bullshit. If the government did their goddamn jobs, no one would be poor, hungry, or in need of health care. But what do I know?
Old 06-19-08, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
When's the last time somebody in the United States starved to death? Barring being trapped somewhere and unable to get help, of course. To imply that our situation here is in any way comparable to what's happening in third world countries is absurd.
I am not comparing the two. I find is absurd that no one wants to help other Americas. Because it is now even more American to help out other countries and let our own people suffer. Go to New Orleans...you want to see how bad it can be here? Or come to my hometown, where we are all still recovering from 9/11. And tell them about how bad other people have it.
Old 06-19-08, 12:10 PM

You act like there are no charities or help for people in this country, which is nonsense. There are plenty of great organizations to help people out. Could more be done? Absolutely. But that shouldn't stop us from lending a hand overseas where people are DYING. Why can't we do both?
Old 06-19-08, 12:13 PM

You act like there are no charities or help for people in this country, which is nonsense. There are plenty of great organizations to help people out. Could more be done? Absolutely. But that shouldn't stop us from lending a hand overseas where people are DYING. Why can't we do both?
And you act like there are decent honest people helping these people. My people come first, period. When New Orleans, NYC and Iowa get rebuilt, then I will think about the kids in Africa. Until then, they are not getting anything for me.
Old 06-19-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven

Anyone who gives sports more than a passing interest is pretty sad
Take out "sports" and put in "video games" and I am with you.
Old 06-19-08, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Second
Old 06-19-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton
Thank you. I was also going to make that argument, but apparently my original answer wasn't good enough.

Donations have been way down the food bank said. I am sure it has to do with the economy, and people maybe hanging onto surplus food, rather than donating it.
Old 06-19-08, 12:17 PM

Anybody on a DVD forum who makes fun of other people's geeky hobbies is a hypocrite.
Old 06-19-08, 12:20 PM

Anybody on a DVD forum who makes fun of other people's geeky hobbies is a hypocrite.
Second
Old 06-19-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I'd argue that at least with video games, you are a participant. With sports, you are either sitting in the stands (or worse, watching it on TV) and getting excited over a child's playground game that other people who make more money than you ever well are playing.

Pretty pointless. I used to have a roommate who was crabby for hours if his sports team lost that day. I always reminded him that the team didn't give a shit how his day went. Didn't seem to help
Old 06-19-08, 12:22 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Donations have been way down the food bank said. I am sure it has to do with the economy, and people maybe hanging onto surplus food, rather than donating it.
Yes, so much so that they are close to turning people away, because they do not have enough food in reserves.

That doesn't sound like they're turning away people or out of "reserves". That plea sounds like every single food bank mailing I've received in the last 20 years. Strangely enough, they've never run out.
Old 06-19-08, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
I'd argue that at least with video games, you are a participant. With sports, you are either sitting in the stands (or worse, watching it on TV) and getting excited over a child's playground game that other people who make more money than you ever well are playing.

Pretty pointless. I used to have a roommate who was crabby for hours if his sports team lost that day. I always reminded him that the team didn't give a shit how his day went. Didn't seem to help
That is fair...although when you are in the crowd cheering at a game, you are a participant. To a degree. Keep in mind I am from Jersey and the rules here are different when going to a sports event...it is about if your team wins or loses, it is how drunk you get and how many cops it takes to pin you down.
Old 06-19-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
And the medication he takes isn't the least bit harmful for him, thank you very much.
Just wait until your grandkids have flippers
Old 06-19-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think y'all should just SHUT THE HELL UP!!!
Old 06-19-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
And you act like there are decent honest people helping these people. My people come first, period. When New Orleans, NYC and Iowa get rebuilt, then I will think about the kids in Africa. Until then, they are not getting anything for me.
It is generally much cheaper to feed the Africans than to solve poverty. Sally Struthers told me I could feed an African kid with a couple of bucks a month. In America a number of people below the poverty line own their own home, car, etc. Also, look at the return on our money spent for some of the New Orleans aid. Money paid to roofers went through tons of subcontractors to the point where only pennies on the dollar of aid were actually going to help. I tend to think that simply by being born in America, most people have won the lottery compared to most Third-world countries.
Old 06-19-08, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
It is generally much cheaper to feed the Africans than to solve poverty. Sally Struthers told me I could feed an African kid with a couple of bucks a month. In America a number of people below the poverty line own their own home, car, etc. Also, look at the return on our money spent for some of the New Orleans aid. Money paid to roofers went through tons of subcontractors to the point where only pennies on the dollar of aid were actually going to help. I tend to think that simply by being born in America, most people have won the lottery compared to most Third-world countries.
And I do agree with that...doesn't make it right though. I understand how it all works, but everyone seems to think that it is fixed once the first batch rolls out. That ain't the case. My former boss (and good friend) has gone to New Orleans 4 times in the last two years and nothing has changed. He just gets more and more depressed each time he goes down there.

And the kick in the teeth was, my company would not let him use if vacation time to volunteer. They said if we was going abroad it would have been fine. Talk about fucked up. I was going to quit when I heard that, but they changed their minds.
Old 06-19-08, 12:35 PM

And the kick in the teeth was, my company would not let him use if vacation time to volunteer.
As written, this doesn't make sense. Since when do employers limit what you can do with vacation time?
Old 06-19-08, 12:40 PM

As written, this doesn't make sense. Since when do employers limit what you can do with vacation time?
It was a policy. I don't recall the exact details but they gave him trouble because he needed to burn a personal day on top of the vacation time (two weeks plus one day I think).

EDIT - I do remember another detail. He went down the first time about 4 days after it happened...the suddenness of it I think also played into it. It was a battle for sometime.
Old 06-19-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And I do agree with that...doesn't make it right though. I understand how it all works, but everyone seems to think that it is fixed once the first batch rolls out. That ain't the case. My former boss (and good friend) has gone to New Orleans 4 times in the last two years and nothing has changed. He just gets more and more depressed each time he goes down there.

And the kick in the teeth was, my company would not let him use if vacation time to volunteer. They said if we was going abroad it would have been fine. Talk about fucked up. I was going to quit when I heard that, but they changed their minds.
What kind of a retarded company do you work for that only lets you take your vacation if your destination meets with their approval?

*edit* NM, I see Groucho beat me to it.
Old 06-19-08, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by andicus
What kind of a retarded company do you work for that only lets you take your vacation if your destination meets with their approval?

*edit* NM, I see Groucho beat me to it.
A company that cares about the bottom line only
Old 06-19-08, 12:54 PM

A company that cares about the bottom line only
But how is their bottom line affected by how you use your vacation time (unless you're using that time to go and sell secrets to the competition)? I guess I'm still missing something here.
Old 06-19-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keep in mind I am from Jersey and the rules here are different when going to a sports event...
I feel like you're the keeper of the New Jersey Rulebook, but you're only authorized to distribute one page at a time.
Old 06-19-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If the government did their goddamn jobs, no one would be poor, hungry, or in need of health care. But what do I know?
Well maybe in UtopiaLand.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.