Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What's your unpopular opinion?

Old 06-19-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

while we're on the topic of decriminalizing drugs:

all non-violent drug offenders should be released from our prisons today. It is a racket designed to siphon billions of dollars out of public treasuries and does nothing to make you or I any safer.
Old 06-19-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
Well, it is a good thing the FBI killed a big proponent of the world-ending scourge.
woo hoo! i made an unpopular one!
Old 06-19-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brizz
while we're on the topic of decriminalizing drugs:

all non-violent drug offenders should be released from our prisons today. It is a racket designed to siphon billions of dollars out of public treasuries and does nothing to make you or I any safer.

I have to agee with it whole-heartedly.....
Old 06-19-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
woo hoo! i made an unpopular one!
I wouldn't take me as the barometer of popular opinion. Although, I am pretty sure you aren't really happy MLK was killed.
Old 06-19-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't take me as the barometer of popular opinion. Although, I am pretty sure you aren't really happy MLK was killed.
of course not. and his greatness extends far beyond his affiliation with any church.
Old 06-19-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

unlike these folks:

Old 06-19-08, 11:12 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Grown men who play online video games are time-wasting idiots.
People who watch more than(on average) one hour of TV a day are foolish.
Old 06-19-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Drill Alaska already...should have been done years ago.
2. Keep our money here to help us for a change.
3. ADD and ADHD are real and fuck you if you think they're not.
4. Close our borders. Your country sucks? Fine. Go to Canada. I'm sure they'd love to have you.
5. UFOs are not real, aliens are not real.
Old 06-19-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by bhk
Grown men who play online video games are time-wasting idiots.
People who watch more than(on average) one hour of TV a day are foolish.
What about grown women who play offline video games?
Old 06-19-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
There's no soup kitchen or food bank in your area?

I just got a email from a local food kitchen saying they are close to turning people away, because they do not have enough food in reserves.
Old 06-19-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Nearly every opinion stated in this thread is popular, and you'll find no shortage of people to agree with any of them -- .
Organ harvesting farms? I would think most people would be against cloning for the purposes of having organ farms.
Old 06-19-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen
I agree with whoever brought up ADD and ADHD. I think those "conditions" are more the result of lazy parenting than anything else, and if parents and teachers would just discipline kids and keep them in line, there wouldn't be a need to put them on harmful drugs.
Yeah, come spend the day with my 11 year old. You have no idea what you are talking about. ADHD has nothing to do with lack of parenting or being lazy. It's a real condition and it's people like you that make my job harder than it needs to be. And the medication he takes isn't the least bit harmful for him, thank you very much.
Old 06-19-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by crazyronin
n00bs...

*ahem* If you are on Welfare, you do not get to have a television, radio, attend movies, concerts, or theater performances, or own any kind of vehicle. The only food you should be allowed to have is a nourishing but tasteless paste. The government will dole it out to you so that you are only allowed the caloric intake to maintain your weight. Plus you're not allowed to vote. Or breed.
Ok, that's awesome.
Old 06-19-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Coffee and beer taste awful.
Old 06-19-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Yeah, come spend the day with my 11 year old. You have no idea what you are talking about. ADHD has nothing to do with lack of parenting or being lazy. It's a real condition and it's people like you that make my job harder than it needs to be. And the medication he takes isn't the least bit harmful for him, thank you very much.
yes. while I do agree it is way way way over diagnosed/medicated, this backlash that supposes it doesn't exist is just as irresponsible. Our daughter was driving us to an early grave and doing very poorly in school until we had a full assessment done and she ended up on adderall. it was like a miracle. and now if she doesn't take it in the mornings she's a frenetic nightmare and can't control herself at all. and it wasn't just affecting us, she herself was frustrated by it and felt bad for not being able to sit still for more than 2 seconds. it was severely affecting her self-esteem and made her question why she couldn't just be "normal."

It's very real.
Old 06-19-08, 11:29 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

What about grown women who play offline video games?
If they're surgeons, no. Even if they're men.
Old 06-19-08, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Organ harvesting farms? I would think most people would be against cloning for the purposes of having organ farms.
Depends if it's like The Island where we're growing actual people for slaughter, or a situation where we are growing organs only.

Speaking of The Island, I'd like to have us grow clones of beautiful people. When clones reach the age of 18 or so, rich old people can have their brains transplanted into the new sexy body.
Old 06-19-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kstublen
*a bunch of stuff I agree with*
You sir, have the right idea.
Old 06-19-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yes. while I do agree it is way way way over diagnosed/medicated, this backlash that supposes it doesn't exist is just as irresponsible. Our daughter was driving us to an early grave and doing very poorly in school until we had a full assessment done and she ended up on adderall. it was like a miracle. and now if she doesn't take it in the mornings she's a frenetic nightmare and can't control herself at all. and it wasn't just affecting us, she herself was frustrated by it and felt bad for not being able to sit still for more than 2 seconds. it was severely affecting her self-esteem and made her question why she couldn't just be "normal."

It's very real.
...and its not just for kids. I dont think I was every diagnosed as a child because I always did well in school, but I cant seem to finish projects and I'm easliy distrac
Old 06-19-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

+5 for incorporating the smilie.....
Old 06-19-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never said ADD and ADHD do not exist, but I do think in a lot of situations it is just lack of responsibility and discipline by parents and other authority figures. Our society today is too dependent on drugs as the ultimate solution to fix all of our problems. And while these medications may not be harming children now, I would be interested to see what happens to these kids when they are adults and having kids of their own. I'm thinking more in the long-term here.

Also, here is another one, although I doubt many people have considered it enough to form a general consensus. In any case, I think that if people are truly serious about suicide, they should do it outside a hospital so their organs can be used for people that want to live.
Old 06-19-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i somehow think that if someone is selfish enough to take their own life, they arent going to be very concerned about whats happening with their organs.
Old 06-19-08, 11:55 AM

Why not take it a step further, and offer suicides at the hospital? You check in, they put you under, remove all your usable organs while you're still alive, and then euthanize you.

Unless you're young and attractive -- then they can scoop our your brain and drop in the brain of somebody with a terminal illness (see my post above).
Old 06-19-08, 11:57 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
I was the one who brought it up...but I DID NOT say it wasn't real. Far from it. I am saying that doctors (and educators) use that as a blanket defense, rather than looking for the real problem. My bro is ADHD and he was on drugs for years and it left him a little unbalanced in the beginning, but it helped him. Where as my friend's brother, who was mis-diagnosed, attempted suicide when they pulled him off the drugs. And that is where the system breaks down. Not every kid is hyper.
Old 06-19-08, 11:58 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I just got a email from a local food kitchen saying they are close to turning people away, because they do not have enough food in reserves.
Thank you. I was also going to make that argument, but apparently my original answer wasn't good enough.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.