Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What's your unpopular opinion?

Old 01-11-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What's your unpopular opinion?

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Well then, I guess this is my unpopular opinion:

I believe our criminal justice system should be more like Norway.
Whoa! I was watching a documentary awhile back, and one of the people being interviewed, a Norwegian musician, was in prison for killing a fellow musician in cold blood. He was sentenced to 21 years (eventually he was paroled after 14 years) and I swear that the prison he was in looked like a country club, and he had a tremendous amount of freedom compared to what he could expect here and he was in there for murder. He was even able to record and release albums while in prison. Don't get me wrong, I'm very fond of Norway, and I think Canada is similar to them in many ways, but their criminal justice system (at least for violent crimes) is way too lenient in my opinion.
Old 01-11-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
How sad, I had hoped you had dropped it. As much as I enjoy a feisty debate, I don't like it much when things get mean-spirited. Oh well...

Which was:

Did you elaborate on your views? Nope, just this. Is this is what you call disagreeing? One minute later you (jokingly, I can only hope) suggested that I was a rapist. Without revealing too much about my personal life, I have very good reason for being offended when someone insinuates that I am a rape apologist. This is doubly true when the comment is based on a careless out of context misstatement of what I was saying to begin with. You then doubled down on this mischaracterization not just once but twice. And if there was any doubt at all about what you meant, you later eliminated it with your "rape rape" comment.

So, Giantrobo, please don't lie.
I'm taking this over to the actual Rape Thread...before Mods jump in again.
Old 01-11-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Whoa! I was watching a documentary awhile back, and one of the people being interviewed, a Norwegian musician, was in prison for killing a fellow musician in cold blood. He was sentenced to 21 years (eventually he was paroled after 14 years) and I swear that the prison he was in looked like a country club, and he had a tremendous amount of freedom compared to what he could expect here and he was in there for murder. He was even able to record and release albums while in prison. Don't get me wrong, I'm very fond of Norway, and I think Canada is similar to them in many ways, but their criminal justice system (at least for violent crimes) is way too lenient in my opinion.
I think we discussed this in a thread recently. I remember posting a video about a former US warden at a super max going to Scandinavia to check out the prison system. By the time he visited the last (most progressive) prison of his tour in Norway, I thought his head would explode. And they didn't even show him the "summer camp" Bastoy Island Prison.

But hey they get results. It's hard to argue with their incarceration/recidivism rates. So it's a little like Buckley's syrop, it might taste awful but it works!

Old 01-11-19, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Take a look at the response by Mrs. Danger, who has responded like a mature adult and without ridicule and animosity.

Old 01-11-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I think we discussed this in a thread recently. I remember posting a video about a former US warden at a super max going to Scandinavia to check out the prison system. By the time he visited the last (most progressive) prison of his tour in Norway, I thought his head would explode. And they didn't even show him the "summer camp" Bastoy Island Prison.

But hey they get results. It's hard to argue with their incarceration/recidivism rates. So it's a little like Buckley's syrop, it might taste awful but it works!
Heh, that does ring a bell. You are correct that Norway's incarceration/recidivism rates are quite low, I'm just not sure if this is because of their justice system or something else. I've seen footage of the Bastoy Island prison, and yeah, that alone would make most US prison officials' heads collectively explode.
Old 01-21-19, 12:26 PM

When it comes to politics, everyone says they want to vote for the outsider. Screw that! I want someone who has been around the block, and knows how everything works. I want an insider who knows how to get things done!
Old 01-21-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
When it comes to women, everyone says they want the outsider. Screw that! I want someone who has been around the block, and knows how everything works. I want an insider who knows how to get things done!

Weird how that works in both situations.
Old 01-22-19, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Vinyl records do not sound better than a properly mastered CD.
I'm not an audiophile so I don't have a horse in the race either way but found this pretty interesting.

Old 01-22-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there one with vinyl vs leather vs PVC?
Old 01-22-19, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

All women think their sex game/pussy is AMAAAZING or BEST EVAH!! because no man is ever brave enough to tell the ones that aren't that their sex game/pussy is garbage. Most men don't want to get cut off from the pussy because bad pussy/sex is better than no pussy/sex... so these woman go through life thinking it's always magical.
Old 01-22-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I'm not an audiophile so I don't have a horse in the race either way but found this pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzRvSWPZQYk
Personally, I think it's dependent on both the particular release and what kind of equipment you're using. For the record (pun somewhat intended!) I buy both formats, but I like vinyl because by it's nature it is a more immersive and less passive way to listen to music (i.e. having to get up to change sides, looking at some nice, big album artwork, etc.)
Old 01-22-19, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
All women think their sex game/pussy is AMAAAZING or BEST EVAH!! because no man is ever brave enough to tell the ones that aren't that their sex game/pussy is garbage. Most men don't want to get cut off from the pussy because bad pussy/sex is better than no pussy/sex... so these woman go through life thinking it's always magical.