Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I hate California drivers!!

Other Talk "Otterville"

I hate California drivers!!

Old 06-05-08, 11:10 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 564
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate California drivers!!

I was coming back from the bank and I needed to merge from my lane into the lane that enters the freeway. There is an opening right before the turn and I have my signal on and I begin to merge and the guy in the lane speeds up to cut me off. He leaves me in some kind of traffic limbo were cars are speeding by in the lane going straight honking at me and the constant stream of cars turning onto the highway. I try to move over into the land and car after car rushes so that they dont have to wait for me to go and I came within inches of getting in a crash because people are all assholes.
Old 06-05-08, 11:21 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
MBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: AUSTIN - Land of Mexican Coke
Posts: 3,920
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Common in all states man. Sorry. I know it sucks.
Old 06-05-08, 11:21 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
movie diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now no true California driver is going to use the blinker, we just get in there and go. Blinkers just tell assholes that you want to get in front of him and he has to speed up.
Old 06-05-08, 11:29 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I know what you mean. Driving home from work, I was about to hit the freeway when some one tried to squeeze their way into my lane. I had to speed up just to avoid being hit. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw him blocking a whole bunch of other cars between both lanes. Freakin' California!
Old 06-05-08, 11:31 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,292
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in California. I drive 2 tons of American steel. I have no insurance. I have no reservations of putting your Mercedes into the guard rail. I DARE you to cut me off!

Ok, I really do have insurance. But the rest still stands.
Old 06-05-08, 11:44 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 867
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish the rest of the country drove like people in California. Hit the gas hard and don't hesitate and both you and the cars in the lane you're merging into can maintain speed and avoid accidents.

In Virginia and Indiana people slow down 200 feet before a merge even if there aren't any cars merging. Traffic in California is caused by too many cars on the road. Traffic in Northern Virginia is caused by people not knowing how to drive.
Old 06-06-08, 12:30 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,525
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
California drivers fucking blow.

Here in Sacramento the biggest freeway interchange is totally CLOSED until July due to very much needed repairs (www.fixi5.com). Well, needless to say my 30 minute commute is now an hour and 30 minutes, if not more. Traffic is backed for MILES on end on every possible main road, nobody will let you merge. You HAVE to cut people off to get to the lane you want to go to. Directionals don't mean shit.

Then again, this has been happening well before this mess. I guess it is a California thing. Even the drivers in New York and Florida had nothing on the West Coast.

Last edited by My Other Self; 06-06-08 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 12:33 AM
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 964
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my experience driving in some 30 states, each state seems to breed its own particular brand of asshole driver.

It makes cross-country trips interesting, I suppose.
Old 06-06-08, 12:53 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,534
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've driven in a few states, not that many admittedly, but CA drivers certainly are the worst.

The best are Minnesota/Minneapolis drivers. I was there driving around for a week and I only got cut off once! ONCE! Weird!
Old 06-06-08, 12:59 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 564
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I know what you mean. Driving home from work, I was about to hit the freeway when some one tried to squeeze their way into my lane. I had to speed up just to avoid being hit. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw him blocking a whole bunch of other cars between both lanes. Freakin' California!
Aha!
Old 06-06-08, 09:08 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 442
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by movie diva
Now no true California driver is going to use the blinker, we just get in there and go. Blinkers just tell assholes that you want to get in front of him and he has to speed up.
So true! Now, I don't live in California but I visit several times a year. I found that my driving experience is much less stressful if I:
  • Drive the speed of surrounding traffic, not the posted speed limit
  • Never use my blinker

In every state that I've visited, a blinker means "I need to move over, please make room for me". I think the California Driver's Handbook teaches that a blinker means "I need to move over, speed up 'cause now's your only chance to pass me."
Old 06-06-08, 09:19 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 58,458
Received 159 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by movie diva
Now no true California driver is going to use the blinker, we just get in there and go. Blinkers just tell assholes that you want to get in front of him and he has to speed up.


Originally Posted by Booth
So true! Now, I don't live in California but I visit several times a year. I found that my driving experience is much less stressful if I:
  • Drive the speed of surrounding traffic, not the posted speed limit
  • Never use my blinker

In every state that I've visited, a blinker means "I need to move over, please make room for me". I think the California Driver's Handbook teaches that a blinker means "I need to move over, speed up 'cause now's your only chance to pass me."

Like I said in the other "Driving Pet peeves" thread, in CA you signal <i>and</i> change lanes at the same time.
Old 06-06-08, 09:53 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
McHawkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: America Empire
Posts: 14,752
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're driving in CA, you gotta be more aggressive - I mean VERY aggressive. That's how we drive down here.
Old 06-06-08, 09:54 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Mole177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Glendale, Ca
Posts: 4,376
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol... i find NY drivers a bit honk happy and all talk.... but then i'm a CA driver.
Old 06-06-08, 09:57 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,500
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
well.. they arent as bad as hartford drivers
Old 06-06-08, 10:04 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,429
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude thats not just California, thats up in seattle too.
Old 06-06-08, 10:31 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 3,879
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone's a total douche driver in MA also.
Old 06-06-08, 10:34 AM
  #18  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,200
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I think it's pretty much a given that every single person in the world is a shitty driver (with the exception of posters to this forum).
Old 06-06-08, 11:16 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
LiquidSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pokey Dot Lounge, Nashville, TN
Posts: 9,184
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I lived in Los Angeles, I never had any trouble driving. Nashville is a different story. I believe some people would rather see me wreck that let me merge into the highway.
Old 06-06-08, 01:33 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: At the beach
Posts: 6,090
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I know what you mean. Driving home from work, I was about to hit the freeway when some one tried to squeeze their way into my lane. I had to speed up just to avoid being hit. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw him blocking a whole bunch of other cars between both lanes. Freakin' California!
Hmmm...if youre in irvine, that was probably me. sorry.

ive learned to be a defensive, aggressive driver out here. no fear.
Old 06-06-08, 01:37 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,325
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Layziebones
I was coming back from the bank and I needed to merge from my lane into the lane that enters the freeway. There is an opening right before the turn and I have my signal on and I begin to merge and the guy in the lane speeds up to cut me off. He leaves me in some kind of traffic limbo were cars are speeding by in the lane going straight honking at me and the constant stream of cars turning onto the highway. I try to move over into the land and car after car rushes so that they dont have to wait for me to go and I came within inches of getting in a crash because people are all assholes.
I suggest you never drive in the Washington DC area then.
Old 06-06-08, 02:08 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Raul3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Picture a cup in the middle of the sea
Posts: 10,706
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was your mistake. You NEVER, NEVER signal before changing a lane. You just speed up.
Old 06-06-08, 02:51 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Mole177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Glendale, Ca
Posts: 4,376
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by happycamper
Hmmm...if youre in irvine, that was probably me. sorry.

ive learned to be a defensive, aggressive driver out here. no fear.

there's traffic in irvine?? does it compare to the craptacular 405 that I drive on?
Old 06-06-08, 02:57 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by happycamper
Hmmm...if youre in irvine, that was probably me. sorry.

ive learned to be a defensive, aggressive driver out here. no fear.
*shakes fist*
Old 06-06-08, 02:58 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: At the beach
Posts: 6,090
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mole177
there's traffic in irvine?? does it compare to the craptacular 405 that I drive on?
probably not the same. the traffic on the 405 in irvine seems to have only gotten worse recently. and its for no good reason. clears up after a few exits.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.