Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Neighbors popular...or slinging dope?

Old 06-01-08, 05:18 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,243
Neighbors popular...or slinging dope?

So we got some new neighbors recently. I'd say maybe a little over a month ago. I'm not sure how many people live there, but it's a two bedroom apartment.

What I see every morning when I wake up is a lady in business attire walking back to the apartment at the same time each day. I see her as either the girlfriend/wife that pays the bills (what she does to earn a living is up for grabs) while the boyfriend/husband parties, or the mother with the teenage son that parties.

During the day, it's quiet over there. Nobody comes in or out. Around 5pm each night, people start to show up at a steady pace. Usually the door will open and close several times within a few minutes. As it gets later, the traffic increases. Males, females, adults, teenagers, they all show up and go inside and then leave.

They are loud as well, and party all ngiht until 5am when they apparently go to bed and get ready to start all over.

One time, as my brother and I were coming home, they opened their door and closed it real fast when they heard us. I am assuming they thought they had more company. I noticed a plasma TV while the door was open.

There's always music or the TV on over tthere, and yelling and talking, and all that.

So are they dealing or what? Am I paranoid? It's getting a bit annoying to hear them all hours of the night. Should I tell the apartment manager, or maybe call the cops? I don't want them to know it's me, and I definitely don't want to bring danger to me or my family.

Should I suck it up and leave it be, or do something?
nickdawgy is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 07:07 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,538
Calling the cops won't do anything, you should burn their place down to be on the safe side.

I have similar neighbors in front, it's a nice new middle class neighborhood but in front of my house you have these slobs living there who remind me of porn producers. They appear to work only at night and I would think they slept during the day but for the last week there has been heavy bass coming out of the house for around 10 hours a day. It's so sad that people can't pick their neighbors because no one here likes them but unfortunately they somehow manage to pay their mortgage (I think he rents out 2-3 bedrooms).
Feneant is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 08:25 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,478
Is this the mother?

mhg83 is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 09:16 AM
  #4  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,653
Neighbors popular...or slinging dope?
these options are not mutually exclusive.
TGM is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 10:16 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,635
Around here, after 10pm, calling the cops will bring them out pretty quickly and they get one warning, then the party gets shut down.

If you can, try to have a nice conversation with them, and ask if they mind keeping it down after 10. I always hated the douchy neighbors that would complain without asking us fist to turn it down, but we weren't loud every night, maybe once or twice a month.

If you are afraid of confrontation and getting on the bad side, then be douchy neighbor (I would) and just complain to manager, and call the cops if its late at night.
grrrah is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 10:23 AM
  #6  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nowheresville
Posts: 1,981
Sounds like my neighbor's house. I quite confident they are slinging dope.

I see cops staked on the block every now and then, so I think they are possibly preparing for a bust. The police are over there a lot for domestic disputes, but I'm wondering if they are building a case for the bust. That house was busted years ago when a different family lived there (who are related somehow to the family there now).

But I'll go for a walk early in the morning or look out my window at night and see a police car parked down the street. Sometimes a cop is out there for hours at a time.
Lee Harvey Oswald is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 10:26 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,805
I thought it was slangin' dope. I guess I could be wrong.

= J
Tarantino is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 10:35 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,805
Most of the dealers around here don't draw that much attention, more often than not the buyers will park around the block and walk to the house. Guess it is nice when they make it so obvious. I will say that one of the best people that have lived in the Rental house next door (didn't even know there was someone in there for a month) was a drug dealer and was raided one night. But he was nice and quite.
Nifty03 is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 10:50 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: the South
Posts: 3,764
Originally Posted by mhg83
Is this the mother?


Penny Lane is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 12:26 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Liver&Onions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oregonzola
Posts: 14,294
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I noticed a plasma TV while the door was open.
I think you have all the proof you need right here. People in apartments don't normally have HDTVs We've got us a dope slinger.
Liver&Onions is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 12:33 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,760
If people regularly come in, and leave a few minutes later, they are buying or selling something.

How often do you drop in on a friend and then leave a few minutes later?
Mrs. Danger is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 03:08 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,243
Originally Posted by Tarantino
I thought it was slangin' dope. I guess I could be wrong.

= J
Who knows, but you got the point at least.
nickdawgy is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 03:11 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,243
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I think you have all the proof you need right here. People in apartments don't normally have HDTVs We've got us a dope slinger.
The reason I mentioned that is because it shows they have money. They are black people, which I didn't mention because I didn't want to sound racist, as if I think they are dealing because of the color of their skin. There is also one hispanic girl that lives there or spends alot of time there.

One of the people at their place, whether she lived there or not I couldn't tell...well she was out on the steps the other night drinking from a bottle in a paper bag while on her cell phone
nickdawgy is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 03:12 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,243
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
If people regularly come in, and leave a few minutes later, they are buying or selling something.

How often do you drop in on a friend and then leave a few minutes later?
Yeah and how many people have friends that come over at midnight, then 2, then 4. But, they might as well install a revolving door it opens and closes so much.

Right now, it's as quiet as can be over there.
nickdawgy is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 05:15 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 1,827
The neighbor behind my house is/was similar in that there was a lot of activity on most nights, but the real problem we had was the slowly accumulating junk in the back and sides of their house. There were incomplete bikes, bike tires, 2-3 barbecue grills, a broken la-z-boy on the back patio, broken motorcycle, etc...just a lot of junk.

There was also a lot of loud, obnoxious behavior, especially late night. We had our suspicions, but didn't say anything because you never know how people will react and we have two young children.

We were about to call the City of Bend to inquire if there was a blight law, when two weeks ago, around 5 PM, members of the City of Bend Police, Oregon State Police, and Sheriff's Dept for Deschutes County arrived. We were watching this unfold from the patio deck of our home. One officer was in full battle gear, and they arrested a few people as well. They must have been there for about five hours, as they photographed everything imaginable inside and confiscated a couple of bike frames, guns, etc...We imagine the perpetrators were ripping things off to hoc for their meth habit. At least in Oregon, property crime that is meth related is huge.

I would imagine that the police were monitoring this situation for some time, but anybody who drove by this house could see the junk and must have thought that something was amiss. The house has been a lot quieter lately. Now we're hoping the junk gets cleaned up, as it makes you not want to look outside.
tofferman is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 06:40 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Mankal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Obama World, USA
Posts: 1,686
If the noise is bothering you, call the cops, if not don't worry about OTHER PEOPLES LIVES.
Mankal is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 07:10 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,243
Originally Posted by Mankal
If the noise is bothering you, call the cops, if not don't worry about OTHER PEOPLES LIVES.
If the noise wasn't bothering me I WOULDN'T HAVE SAID ANYTHING.
nickdawgy is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 07:23 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
I use to live below a drug dealer....and here is what I saw:

1. Late hours
2. Many visitors
3. All for a short time
4. Loud / disregard for others
5. Domestic disputes

I called the management a number of times for noise complaints, but not the cops....as I thought I'd get shot, seriously. I was the only white person there and I got a lot of looks and I didn't get a long with the guy (he wasn't even a tennant, he was a baby's daddy).
NotThatGuy is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 10:30 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Originally Posted by Mankal
If the noise is bothering you, call the cops, if not don't worry about OTHER PEOPLES LIVES.
I disagree....if illegal activity is going on like that, the OP has an obligation to report it. If was a meth lab and something went kablooie, then suddenly the OP's life is severely impaired or cut short. Who cares what they do in their home, if it's not illegal.

And if it's an apartment, then there are more than likely provisions in the lease that forbid the activity.
calhoun07 is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 02:59 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,243
No domestic disputes so far, just loud music, parties, slamming doors. Just last night at 2 am, someone came to their door, pounded on it, and a female voice said "Open up, bitch!"

So the door opens and the same voice says something like "That's right, that's right, what, what!!"

Really loud.

I think they set all their clocks wrong, they thought it was 2 pm.
nickdawgy is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 04:05 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
DarkestPhoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,246
Here's what you do:

1 - Go to a pay phone.
2 - Call the cops.
3 - Announce that you want to make an anonymous tip about XXX address, because you think it is likely being used as a drug dealer's place.
4 - Say you frequent the neighborhood and are worried about your possible safety and that of others, due to the suspicious activity.
5 - Observe.
6 - ???
7 - Profit!!
DarkestPhoenix is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 08:54 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,746
Ask for a discount since you're a neighbor.
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 09:02 AM
  #23  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,418
Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Here's what you do:

1 - Go to a pay phone...
The whole plan unravels here.
VinVega is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 02:39 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,922
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
The reason I mentioned that is because it shows they have money. They are black people, which I didn't mention because I didn't want to sound racist, as if I think they are dealing because of the color of their skin. There is also one hispanic girl that lives there or spends alot of time there.
So, you didn't want to mention it at first, lest you seem racist, yet somehow it's important to mention it now because they have money to own a plasma TV? Is the implication that as black people, they wouldn't normally have such money without dealing?
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 02:54 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Does Tatum O'Neal frequent the premises?
Rockmjd23 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.