Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Neighbors popular...or slinging dope?

Old 06-02-08, 03:14 PM
  #26  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 188
When I go to my dealer's place its customary to stay for at least 15 minutes, and he is pretty quiet and respectful of his neighbors. I suggest you teach them about dealing etiquite.
Adiras is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 03:27 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,849
Originally Posted by Tarantino
I thought it was slangin' dope.
Has anyone considered that one of the neighbors may have a wicked jump shot?
The Bus is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 03:36 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,478
Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Here's what you do:

1 - Go to a pay phone.
2 - Call the cops.
3 - Announce that you want to make an anonymous tip about XXX address, because you think it is likely being used as a drug dealer's place.
4 - Say you frequent the neighborhood and are worried about your possible safety and that of others, due to the suspicious activity.
5 - Observe.
6 - film it and post on youtube!
7 - Profit!!
Fixed!
mhg83 is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 03:45 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
"Dear Black Neighbor,

Please only perform drugs-for-cash transactions before 10pm so as not to disrupt the neighborhoods usual quiet & sleep hours. Also, please don't steal my shit.

Thanks,
Nickdawgy"
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 03:46 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,849
Originally Posted by mhg83
Fixed!
If the neighbors have any smarts, they would be moving the stash house anyway. Plus, isn't the OP's development one of those new places championed by Clay Davis? You can bet Burrell will seek to squash this somehow.
The Bus is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 03:52 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Originally Posted by Mankal
If the noise is bothering you, call the cops, if not don't worry about OTHER PEOPLES LIVES.
That's a pretty stupid thing to say. Nevermind that drugs and guns usually go hand in hand.
Breakfast with Girls is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 03:58 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,849
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
That's a pretty stupid thing to say. Nevermind that drugs and guns usually go hand in hand.
Not guns and butter though.

Wait, does that mean that drugs and butter go hand-in-hand?
The Bus is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 04:10 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
Originally Posted by The Bus
Not guns and butter though.

Wait, does that mean that drugs and butter go hand-in-hand?
you suck at venn diagrams
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 05:02 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,705
ask em if they have any weed, then you will have your answer.
Maxwell Smart is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 05:54 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
DarkestPhoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,246
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
So, you didn't want to mention it at first, lest you seem racist, yet somehow it's important to mention it now because they have money to own a plasma TV? Is the implication that as black people, they wouldn't normally have such money without dealing?


Or, he could just be referencing the rarity of having a plasma in his neighborhood...maybe it's a low-income area. Or the 'ghetto'. Gasp!

If I saw neighbors with lots of shit and seemingly without jobs, I'd say they were suspect, too.
DarkestPhoenix is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 06:17 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,922
Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix


Or, he could just be referencing the rarity of having a plasma in his neighborhood...maybe it's a low-income area. Or the 'ghetto'. Gasp!

If I saw neighbors with lots of shit and seemingly without jobs, I'd say they were suspect, too.
And would there be any point in identifying their race because of that?

read a little more closely. I understand why one might mention the plasma for the reasons you suggested. But why did the plasma cause him to mention their race? Because blacks are poor, yeah, right, can't be racist if you're just mentioning facts, right?

There is nothing about the post where he mentioned their race that made any sense at all with respect to the need to identify their race. If he was trying to show what you said, why not stop after "The reason I mentioned that is because it shows they have money."?

I'm not saying he's racist, I don't even give a fuck, I just thought it was funny and quite odd the way he brought up their race, and then discussed why he didn't bring it up before. "I didn't mention their race before because I didn't want to sound like I think all black people are drug dealers, but because black people are poor, it's ok that I mention it in the context of them having nice stuff." Get it?
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 06:44 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
I think they just mentioned the race because it's a human knee jerk reaction to point out the one thing about a person that makes the person they are describing different from others around them.

I am not saying it's ideal...but I think if the situation was reversed and black people were talking about me, they would say the "white guy." Or something else about me that sets me apart from the rest of the masses...maybe the guy with the big dog or something.

Describing them on a message board that way is not important, because we can't see the people...we don't know them, or really need to know the description of them. I just think it was a natural thing for somebody to say that, though, not racist at all.
calhoun07 is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 06:48 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
I have rented to slingers of dope. They get lots more company than anyone else. I vote for them being slingers of the dope variety.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 06:56 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,767
If you tip the cops, just hope the cops don't bust down your door in a wrong door raid.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 07:17 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Posts: 3,905
Originally Posted by Red Dog
If you tip the cops, just hope the cops don't bust down your door in a wrong door raid.
As a rule of thumb for me, if they aren't hurting me or anyone else, let them be. When something is up, then I get involved.

I am sold on the fact that these cats are slinging. Make sure they re-up with Prop Joe first...if you know what I mean.
macnorton is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 07:28 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
DarkestPhoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,246
Originally Posted by Red Dog
If you tip the cops, just hope the cops don't bust down your door in a wrong door raid.
Just make sure you're naked and there's child porn on your computer when they come in and you'll be fine.
DarkestPhoenix is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 08:07 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles , California
Posts: 3,596
Originally Posted by The Bus
Has anyone considered that one of the neighbors may have a wicked jump shot?

+ 1
SPiRAL is offline  
Old 06-03-08, 02:35 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
How long have you lived next to Martin Lawrence?

/deadspinned
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 06-03-08, 04:08 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,243
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
So, you didn't want to mention it at first, lest you seem racist, yet somehow it's important to mention it now because they have money to own a plasma TV? Is the implication that as black people, they wouldn't normally have such money without dealing?
Wow, you hit the nail on the head. I am a racist mofo, and since they are black, they have to be poor, there's no other explination. Black people with a plasma TV.....HA!

nickdawgy is offline  
Old 06-03-08, 04:09 AM
  #45  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,243
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
"Dear Black Neighbor,

Please only perform drugs-for-cash transactions before 10pm so as not to disrupt the neighborhoods usual quiet & sleep hours. Also, please don't steal my shit.

Thanks,
Nickdawgy"
nickdawgy is offline  
Old 06-03-08, 04:11 AM
  #46  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,243
Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix


Or, he could just be referencing the rarity of having a plasma in his neighborhood...maybe it's a low-income area. Or the 'ghetto'. Gasp!

If I saw neighbors with lots of shit and seemingly without jobs, I'd say they were suspect, too.
That was my point. I do live in what is considered a ghetto neighborhood. I mean I'm not afraid to go to my car at 3am, but I'm not walking to the liquor store.
nickdawgy is offline  
Old 06-03-08, 04:13 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,243
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
And would there be any point in identifying their race because of that?

read a little more closely. I understand why one might mention the plasma for the reasons you suggested. But why did the plasma cause him to mention their race? Because blacks are poor, yeah, right, can't be racist if you're just mentioning facts, right?

There is nothing about the post where he mentioned their race that made any sense at all with respect to the need to identify their race. If he was trying to show what you said, why not stop after "The reason I mentioned that is because it shows they have money."?

I'm not saying he's racist, I don't even give a fuck, I just thought it was funny and quite odd the way he brought up their race, and then discussed why he didn't bring it up before. "I didn't mention their race before because I didn't want to sound like I think all black people are drug dealers, but because black people are poor, it's ok that I mention it in the context of them having nice stuff." Get it?
If it makes you feel better, there's a honky motherfucker that hangs out there, too.
nickdawgy is offline  
Old 06-05-08, 12:26 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,417
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
If people regularly come in, and leave a few minutes later, they are buying or selling something.

How often do you drop in on a friend and then leave a few minutes later?
For a few months in college, we had roots in our sewer system. #1 was no big deal, unless people started going quickly one after another. #2, however, flooded the bathroom every time. We started going to our friend's house, stopping by long enough to use his shitter and grab a beer on the way out. Good times.

I vote they're drug dealers as well. Glue coins to the sidewalk outside of their house.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 06-05-08, 08:36 AM
  #49  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,236
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
That was my point. I do live in what is considered a ghetto neighborhood. I mean I'm not afraid to go to my car at 3am, but I'm not walking to the liquor store.
The fact that you could walk to the liquor store kinda says it all.
Pistol Pete is offline  
Old 06-05-08, 09:00 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,134
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
The fact that you could walk to the liquor store kinda says it all.
Yeah, that he doesn't live in the burbs. In most urban (rich or ghetto) areas you CAN walk places, including liquor stores.
BambooLounge is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.