Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I Was Almost Killed Today..

Old 05-29-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I Was Almost Killed Today..

What a day so far! I was walking to auto shop to pick up my car. And when crossing a busy street while I had the green light and walking signal. This idiot flew through the red light,smashed into the car that had the right a way. Careened towards me,as driver applied the brakes heavily. Which made a loud skidding noise,and made the car lose more control it seemed as it was now turning sideways sliding down the street. I had to jump back, and barely avoided being hit. It smashed into the poles that are in the median,and smashed head on into car that was waiting in turn lane. Then it flung barely avoiding other cars onto the curb facing wrong way on street.

I was and still am a bit shaken by how close it was to me being splattered or seriously injured(it almost appeared as if the car was going to ping pong off the one car in turn lane and fly towards me again). No one was hurt thankfully,and it took over an hour until a cop finally arrived. I stayed along of course to tell him what happened and gave he and the old lady that was hit first my information. Since I suspect the driver was going to try to get out of it claiming he had a green light or something.
Old 05-29-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am glad you are OK.

However, I am having a little trouble following your description, perhaps a drawing indicating where the truck was when he honked at the lady who ran the red light.
Old 05-29-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This sounds like a multiple deaths story.. but nobody was injured?? Wow.
Old 05-29-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that's a HELL of a good day in my book...
Old 05-29-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When someone posts an "I was killed today" thread, then I will be impressed.
Old 05-29-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad you're OK! And I respect your sticking around to make sure the story was straight. The red light runner should be held accountable. Such people are dangerous to others, as you are far too aware of now!
Old 05-29-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by drmoze
Glad you're OK! And I respect your sticking around to make sure the story was straight. The red light runner should be held accountable. Such people are dangerous to others, as you are far too aware of now!
They really are. I'm glad New York got on the red light camera bandwagon. Every time I see the flash, I laugh at the driver. Yield to pedestrians, jackasses.
Old 05-29-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jonw9
However, I am having a little trouble following your description, perhaps a drawing indicating where the truck was when he honked at the lady who ran the red light.

--

I had something similar happen last year. I was in the right hand turn lane, and some jackass tried to blow through a red light and he t-boned a brand new truck, which spun both cars....one of which missed me by about 2'. There was an unmarked (marshall?) car that saw everything, so they just waved me through. I wanted to get out and yell at the f'ing idiot....I think he was high on something because he looked in rough shape in his wife beater, bloodshot eyes, etc.....at 10am.
Old 05-29-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
They really are. I'm glad New York got on the red light camera bandwagon. Every time I see the flash, I laugh at the driver. Yield to pedestrians, jackasses.
I didn't know this. Are they using them in Manhattan? I hope they have them at every intersection! Drivers careening around a corner and almost into pedestrians who have the right of way in the crosswalk is a constant sight here. I wish there was a way to ticket those people who don't yield on turns as well.
Old 05-29-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't know this. Are they using them in Manhattan? I hope they have them at every intersection! Drivers careening around a corner and almost into pedestrians who have the right of way in the crosswalk is a constant sight here. I wish there was a way to ticket those people who don't yield on turns as well.
Look on the lightposts. If you see a white box, that will probably be a red light camera. I've only seen them in Midtown, but I hope they go city-wide.
Old 05-29-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
You survived JW!

Glad to hear that......
Old 05-29-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That guy should be added to the bad driver thread...
Old 05-29-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey man, I had to take 36 5 year olds on a field trip today. Like all day. Seriously. Do you know what it's like to spend even 20 minutes on a bus with that many little kids?!? And you're bitching about almost being hit by a car?!? Really?

j/k Jules, I'm glad you're ok.
Old 05-29-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Hey man, I had to take 36 5 year olds on a field trip today. Like all day. Seriously. Do you know what it's like to spend even 20 minutes on a bus with that many little kids?!? And you're bitching about almost being hit by a car?!? Really?
That would be my own personal hell....the only thing worse would be if they all got food poisoning and threw-up and shat all over themselves, in the bus, and then had a poo and vomit chucking fight.
Old 05-29-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Glad you're ok JW.
Old 05-29-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks everyone! I'm going out tonight. So I don't have time to attempt an illustration of the incident. But I'll try later on if I can.
Old 05-29-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish we would get those here. I had to stop TWICE today while in a crosswalk to let turning cars that wouldn't yield for me go by.
Old 05-29-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Several months ago my wife, my daughter and I were heading back from checking out a school to take her to. We are the first car to slow down and stop at a t-junction with lights just to the side of the school. There was another car behind us who had stopped as well. Just in that moment between the lights changing, a red V8 Commodore screeches past beside me in the oncoming lane missing my car by about half a foot. He had come from behind the 2 cars that had stopped. He comes to a halt after a 270 degree turn in the middle of the clear intersection. Pauses for a bit, appearing shaken up, then drives off. If the timing was off by about half a second, we would have been hit bad on the drivers side, and daughter was sitting behind me.
I think all the cars stopped around the lights (about 10 cars) got a bit of a shock from that, everyone just took off really slowly after that.
Old 05-29-08, 10:21 PM
Suspended

Two words (after this sentence).

Book. Deal.
Old 05-29-08, 10:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Thanks everyone! I'm going out tonight. So I don't have time to attempt an illustration of the incident. But I'll try later on if I can.
Glad you're ok.

Ask KittyD to help with you with the drawings.

And I have to ask. Were you sporting a keffiyeh? Was the driver possibly a bitch-ravin' Asian chic with 352 FOX NEWS decals on her car?

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-29-08 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-29-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Glad you're ok.

Ask KittyD to help with you with the drawings.
And I have to ask. Were you sporting a keffiyeh? Was the driver possibly a bitch-ravin' Asian chic with 352 FOX NEWS decals on her car?
Can you believe he's going to be 11 here pretty soon? I should show him that picture soon....
Old 05-29-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad to hear that you're okay JW. When this was all happening, did it seem like time slowed down?

Can you imagine trying to cross the road in this video?

Old 05-29-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad you're okay.

But you're making me feel guilty about my practice of running red lights at 60 mph.
Old 05-29-08, 11:31 PM
Suspended

Final Destination
Old 05-29-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Someday...someday

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.