Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Radio Shack Diaries: A Thread About My Trials and Tribulations at Work.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-29-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been at one of the stores for a year, so by now I've been fried from the experience and have too many stories to share. I'm not sure if I'll make this a recurring diary or what not, but I need to talk about what I've seen.

Like the one time I saw a Mexican with a mullet straight out of 1991.

Like the dude who almost exactly resembled Joe Cabot from Reservoir Dogs ("Motherfucker looks like the Thing!") and wore a very obvious toupee over his very orange head.

Like the boring three-hour meeting (re: pep rally) I have to attend today.

Like the other day when I saw a live-action Comic Book Guy.

My frustrations with the elderly and cheap people.

Today I'll start off with a pair of them.

First one happened in March.

Woman comes in looking for a birthday present for her 12-year-old about to turn 13. I told her Super Smash Bros. Brawl just came out, intriguing her. I showed it to her, and for some odd reason she was trembling over Solid Snake's presence because of him holding guns. I have no idea how many times I had to tell her that the game was age-appropriate, and she was still completely dubious and all "I have to let the husband approve of this too". Not that I resent her morals, but she was so stuck up about the cover of the game that I started making sarcastic comments about how this wasn't GTA IV and this classic exchange.

Me: "Your son'll probably be really disappointed if he finds out you bought this for him and then returned it."
Puritan: "Oh, he won't know!"

I sell it to her. The next day, it's returned, probably over that small picture of Solid Snake. In a perfect world she's probably one of those idiots who was really happy McDonald's started offering milk and apple slices with the Happy Meals...even though she probably splurges on a Big Mac.

Then there's this gem that has expanded over more than one day:

Last week we got an iPod Touch in stock. Clearly, it's not a new item: I've gotten plenty of iPods out the door in my time there. Well, there's this 17-year-old kid who works in the nearby supermarket who's a regular, dreams of working in the store, and who asks way too many questions. If you crossed Thurman Merman from Bad Santa with Joey Gladstone and added a dash of Steve Urkel, you'd have this guy. Anyway, this kid has been asking us if we've sold this iPod Touch almost daily since last Friday, and the answer is always a belligerent "no". He asked twice on Sunday, got ripped a new one by my manager on Tuesday, and so on. We've had iPods in stock for long periods of time, yet this is becoming a hot topic for him, and I don't even think he wants to buy it. You might have to be there to experience it, but trust me, it's pretty damn funny in person.
Old 05-29-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fascinating...

Old 05-29-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-29-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Darkest Phoenix you are not but good try.
Old 05-29-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you still asking for phone numbers to buy batteries with cash?
Old 05-29-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Are you still asking for phone numbers to buy batteries with cash?
Only when you get a service plan or for a return. And trust me, I fucking hate asking the question.
Old 05-29-08, 02:13 PM

Well, I had no idea Radio Shack was still in business. I guess if I need a transistor or a diode I'll know where to go.
Old 05-29-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I had no idea how amazingly true this was to not just convenience stores or video stores until I started working here. It's a bible to anyone who's worked in a store period.
Old 05-29-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

People dream of working at a Radio Shack?
Old 05-29-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I sure hope those weren't the two BEST stories of the "too many" that you say you have...
Old 05-29-08, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

It's time for a career move. Go apply at Best Buy.
Old 05-29-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Only when you get a service plan or for a return. And trust me, I fucking hate asking the question.
It doesn't seem very profitable to sell service plans on batteries, but I guess that's why Radio Shack is doing so well!
Old 05-29-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
It's time for a career move. Go apply at Best Buy.
I wholeheartedly agree with the first part.
Old 05-29-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had just read this part:

I've been at one of the stores for a year...
And was going to suggest you demand to speak to a manager. No retail store should make you wait longer than 10, 15 minutes max.

Then I realized you worked there. So I guess it's OK.
Old 05-29-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, a lady thinks a video game might be too violent because of a character holding guns on the cover? She is certainly fair game for derision.

I guess you had to be there.
Old 05-29-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Well, I had no idea Radio Shack was still in business. I guess if I need a transistor or a diode I'll know where to go.
Yeah, good luck with that. Only some of the stripmall stores still carry parts. The mall stores and the rest have become overpriced glorified cellphone kiosks.
Old 05-29-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait a second... pressuring a consumer to buy a video game, and when they have doubts, you use sarcasm to belittle them? Dealing with whiny kids who dream of working at the store, but buy nothing? Experience with selling service plans and getting customer information? You're a perfect fit for an upgrade to Gamestop (and actually, as a store that franchise seems to be doing quite well).

edited to add: This has all the makings of one of those threads where the OP posts looking for approval or agreement, and getting nothing but the opposite from the forum... but the thread is still young...

Last edited by fujishig; 05-29-08 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-29-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Radio Shack sells Wii games? Well color me surprised...and indifferent.
Old 05-29-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, that's awesome!!!
Old 05-29-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am totally at a loss as to which of the many FAIL pics to post here.
Old 05-29-08, 04:52 PM

You might have to be there to experience it, but trust me, it's pretty damn funny in person.
For future reference, anything that prompts this response is not worth posting about.
Old 05-29-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Like the one time I saw a Mexican with a mullet straight out of 1991.

Like the dude who almost exactly resembled Joe Cabot from Reservoir Dogs ("Motherfucker looks like the Thing!") and wore a very obvious toupee over his very orange head.

Like the boring three-hour meeting (re: pep rally) I have to attend today.

Like the other day when I saw a live-action Comic Book Guy.

My frustrations with the elderly and cheap people.
Out of all of these, the only one that sounds even semi-interesting is the one about the three hour meeting. However, I imagine there will be a lot of "you had to be there" moments...so maybe not.

Oh, the one thing I AM curious about is why the following exchange is "classic".

Me: "Your son'll probably be really disappointed if he finds out you bought this for him and then returned it."
Puritan: "Oh, he won't know!"
She's was gonna take it home, show it to her husband and then return it without telling her kid...so what?
Old 05-29-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by emanon
I had just read this part:

And was going to suggest you demand to speak to a manager. No retail store should make you wait longer than 10, 15 minutes max.

Then I realized you worked there. So I guess it's OK.
Old 05-29-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate Radio Shack with a passion.. I always have to end up going there for parts that only they would have (local B&M).. Every time I go in there they ask me 10 times "Can I help you find something" even though I say no the first time they continue to follow me..

Then it never fails that "Batteries are on sale today.. Would you like to get some?" EVERY freaking time I check out.. Followed by "We have some great cell phone plans.."
Old 05-29-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These stories would be much better if all of the characters were played by toys from the 80's.

That, and if the stories didn't rely on me to be there.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.