Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

More eBay Woes (This Time With Half.com)

Old 05-22-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More eBay Woes (This Time With Half.com)

Oh man, I think my eBay days are numbered.

Last week as some of you may recall, I had someone who never responded to my emails for payment. Well, it's a week later, and he still hasn't responded or acknowledged anything so I filed an NPB this morning. Waiting to see what happens there.

Yesterday, I listed various textbooks for old classes via Half.com. Two sold right away. I was pleased. One shipped out this morning, and when I tried shipping the other one, it turns out the address AND zipcode this newbie supplied was wrong. I e-mailed him asking to verify said information, so we'll wait and see, but I just wanted to show you guys..

View Larger Map

Orpington St is apparently where this guy lives. It doesn't even look like it's a residential street. And the zip was apparently way off. WTF. Does this guy plan on scamming Half.com? I just found this one a little weird.. haha

Last edited by My Other Self; 05-22-08 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-22-08, 01:08 PM

It could be a newly developed subdivision. If you Google map my house, half of the sub is missing because the map is not up to date, and my house 10 years old.
Old 05-22-08, 01:09 PM

He might live in a van down by the Opington river.
Old 05-22-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He may have it shipped to his work address. I know people who have done that.
Old 05-22-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oprington St
The map says Orpington St.

Which is it?
Old 05-22-08, 01:48 PM

Do you always Google Map your customers, you voyeur!?
Old 05-22-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
The map says Orpington St.

Which is it?
It's what the map says.

I mis-typed. I didn't misspell the label though.

And no I'm not some creep, but a red flag came up when both the Automated Postal Machine and the guy at the desk said the address and zip didn't exist.
Old 05-23-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The guy still hasn't replied to my e-mail asking him about his address. I just want to send the damn thing out, but it looks like I'm not going to get anything but hassle with this one.

How does it work with Half.com if the buyer does a charge back?
Old 05-23-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A little investigation on the Internets leads me to believe the address is part of the Jefferson Village apartment complex...
Old 05-23-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gilbertr76
A little investigation on the Internets leads me to believe the address is part of the Jefferson Village apartment complex...
I thought it might be an apartment too, but the fact that the zipcode doesn't even exist has me thinking twice.
Old 05-23-08, 04:46 PM

The Zip for that address should be 32826.

Were you given something different?
Old 05-23-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He gave eBay 32036.
Old 05-23-08, 04:55 PM

Then he's likely just a moran, not a scammer...
Old 05-23-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gilbertr76
Then he's likely just a moran, not a scammer...
Yeah but he couldn't even get his own address right. The "XXXX Orpington St".. wasn't legit. The Post Office even checked out, the numbers weren't part of a real house. So I dunno. The guy supposedly paid, but now his book won't be mailed out until Tuesday.. if he replies. We'll see. I just better not wind up with negative feebdack over this.
Old 05-23-08, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly

How does it work with Half.com if the buyer does a charge back?
Unless you can provide a receipt/delivery confirmation #/Insurance information you are out of luck. Half.com will take the $$ out of your account and you lose your item and your shipping charges.

We had someone purchase 3 different items with a stolen credit card. Apparently half.com does not require you to use your credit card billing address as your shipping address. We tried to fight it (because it was 3 tv on dvd sets which made us lose close to $100) but because we shipping the items via media mail (all that half.com pays you for) and didn't purchase anything extra (again...the shipping reimbursement doesn't cover that) they took back all the money.

Sucks.
Old 05-23-08, 06:39 PM

Yeah but he couldn't even get his own address right. The "XXXX Orpington St".. wasn't legit. The Post Office even checked out, the numbers weren't part of a real house. So I dunno. The guy supposedly paid, but now his book won't be mailed out until Tuesday.. if he replies. We'll see. I just better not wind up with negative feebdack over this.
The USPS updates their "legit" address files about as often as they update their online package tracking...

If you look up the address with the zip code of 32826 using Yahoo maps, it exists! You can even select the satellite map to confirm an apartment complex at that address. My guess is that the complex has multiple mailbox sites that use different addresses.

Your buyer is likely a student at UCF, which is about 4 miles from Jefferson Village. Regardless, however, you should definitely get address confirmation from him before shipping the book because he's an idiot...
Old 05-23-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

HA!
Old 05-23-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
HA!
What does him not knowing where he lives have anything to do with my misspelling a word? Two totally different ends of the spectrum. He didn't misspell the street name, he fucked up his zipcode and his actual address.. hmm.
Old 05-24-08, 11:01 AM

The address is that of an apartment complex, only the zip is wrong. see this

It could be a college student who inadvertently put his home zip on his college address.
Old 05-24-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What does him not knowing where he lives have anything to do with my misspelling a word? Two totally different ends of the spectrum. He didn't misspell the street name, he fucked up his zipcode and his actual address.. hmm.
I think you'll be ok. Regardless of your missed spelling.
Old 05-24-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mclori
It could be a college student who inadvertently put his home zip on his college address.
I'll go with he doesn't know what zip he lives in since the zip he supplied isn't real.
Old 05-27-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My 9 years of eBaying and using Half.com are done.

I just received a neg from a newbie over a textbook I sold on Half.com. The kid said I was dishonest about the condition. Well, this is new to me. The book was never used so I advertised it AS NEW. Well, guess what? I never got an e-mail about it. The girl never tried contact me about it. I would have happily issued a refund if she wasn't happy.

This is bullshit. My perfect feedback is tarnished now and I have no recourse. I fucking hate eBay.
Old 05-27-08, 09:01 PM

Is on negative feedback really gonna hurt you? While it might be BS, I believe you are overreacting a tad.
Old 05-27-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tbone
Is on negative feedback really gonna hurt you? While it might be BS, I believe you are overreacting a tad.
I'm not overreacting. I'm pissed because I had some idiot newbie who didn't even contact me to complain about this book "not being in the condition as described". I would have issued a refund if she wasn't happy. She didn't even e-mail me, she just goes and leaves a negative.

eBay has had a lot of crappy changes lately geared towards a buyers market and as a result longtime sellers are left out in the dust. My feedback went down to a 94.5% because of this little blip and I'm not happy. She even commented the book was shipped promptly (I mailed it out the same day it was sold), but that I lied about the condition. It's impossible when you have to choose the type of condition it's in and the fact that I mentioned ALL the markings in the little "Additional Info" section.

She purchased a $90 textbook for $30. I don't see justification given that I never even used the book, and it was in immaculate shape and packed well. It's crap.

Last edited by My Other Self; 05-27-08 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some people are idiots, welcome to The World.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.