Reload this Page >

Four Nights in NYC - What Should I Do?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-16-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm going to be in NYC the week of Memorial Day (May 26 - 30) for some training. Both my hotel (35th St) and training (42nd St) are right in midtown, so there should be plenty to do. Only thing is, I've never been there so I don't know what is (and isn't) worth my time.

Me factoids:

35, male, married, 2 kids, beer drinker, sports fan, "casual" diner

I'm not a dancer/clubber or fine diner, but enjoy sports, movies, bars and great local eateries. Mostly American food, but also like Italian and Mexican.

My training is 8-5 T-F, so I'm looking for suggestions for my evenings. I'm going to a Mets game Tuesday night (Yankees aren't in town), and I'll be there early Monday afternoon, so I need to fill Monday, Wed and Thurs evenings.

I thought about an NBC tour, but wasn't sure how late in the day those go. Perhaps a possibility for Monday, but might not be available because of the holiday?

I do like to run. Is it far from 35th to Central Park? I assume it's safe to run in Central Park?
Old 05-16-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On 35th you aren't <i>that</i> far from Central Park. I recommend heading up and running around or, my favorite, rent a bike at the Boathouse and bike around. Boathouse also has great food. As long as you're out while it's light you should be fine. Just don't find yourself too far north after dusk, or so I've been told.
Old 05-16-08, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
On 35th you aren't <i>that</i> far from Central Park. I recommend heading up and running around or, my favorite, rent a bike at the Boathouse and bike around. Boathouse also has great food. As long as you're out while it's light you should be fine. Just don't find yourself too far north after dusk, or so I've been told.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's a great idea, weather permitting of course.
Old 05-16-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bralph
I do like to run. Is it far from 35th to Central Park? I assume it's safe to run in Central Park?
Central Park starts at 59th, so it's about 25 blocks. Where on 35th are you staying (East Side, West Side)?
Old 05-16-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The run from your motel to CP isn't far and if the weather is nice, just follow everyone there because there will be a shit-ton of runners out there.
Old 05-16-08, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Central Park starts at 59th, so it's about 25 blocks. Where on 35th are you staying (East Side, West Side)?
The Wingate Hotel at 235 W. 35th.
Old 05-16-08, 10:13 PM

I say you take whatever DVD talkers are in NY out to dinner and expense it

Old 05-16-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bralph
The Wingate Hotel at 235 W. 35th.
It'll be quick to run up to Central Park from there. Just go up 8th Ave.
Old 05-16-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zoomgirl

I think this is a great idea... Le Bernadin isnt too far from there either!
Old 05-17-08, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoomgirl

Seconded, In all honesty NY has some of the best food in the States, esp ethnic food. I would suggest to hit up the usual touristy type places on Manhattan. China town, Little Italy and you must make it a MUST go to Ferrara's and ave a canoli, South Street Sea port, Times Square go to a restaurant or bar there, another suggestion is the top of the Rockefeller building, go to scores or some place better?
Old 05-17-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you can, hit up Veniero's for some great pastries. It's on 8th and 1st.

For a good hot dog go to Crif Dogs. Some people will tell you Gray's Papaya is where it's at, they're good, but Crif Dogs is better IMO. It's on 7th between 1st and Ave. A.

Oh, and be sure to eat at New Big Wang in Chinatown, if for no other reason than the name. I like the chopped ginger lobster special.
Old 05-18-08, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
If you can, hit up Veniero's for some great pastries. It's on 8th and 1st.

For a good hot dog go to Crif Dogs. Some people will tell you Gray's Papaya is where it's at, they're good, but Crif Dogs is better IMO. It's on 7th between 1st and Ave. A.

Oh, and be sure to eat at New Big Wang in Chinatown, if for no other reason than the name. I like the chopped ginger lobster special.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to take some notes with me... Oh, and sorry everyone, I don't have an expense account. I can travel to NY for training, but I'm not quite that important.
Old 05-19-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I would say by tickets to the Lion King. It is a kids show, so getting tickets last min. shouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-19-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ginger Man - if you are a beer drinker you need to go. It is on 36th street.

Avenue Q - Great Show and not as costly as most other broadway stuff. You are my age and should appreciate the dirty take on the Muppets.