Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

how to make less noise on hardwood floors?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-08-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my neighbor below keeps banging on her ceiling whenever we make the slightest noise (which is ironic because she blasts her tv so freaking loud every day and we never complain). we dont have huge parties, blast the radio/tv, tap dance, throw things around, scream, etc...we live normal lives and dont make excessive noise.

for people who live below those with hardwood floors, does the slightest noise from above get amplified or something? for example, when i get into bed i hear the bed creak a little and then she starts banging...yet the noise is hardly anything (to the point where i dont think people would complain if they were trying to sleep in the same room!). wtf does she hear?

would it help to put a rug underneath the bed? would that cancel out some of the sound that is transmitted to the floor below? its very annoying to have to watch every single step just in case the neighbor starts to cry again.
Old 05-08-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it would help to get a new neighbor.
Old 05-08-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

would it help to put a rug underneath the bed?
Sounds like a better solution would be to stuff your bitchy neighbor in a rug and drop it in a river.
Old 05-08-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's life in a apartment/condo/townhouse. It amazes me that those who chose to live in such places think they will have a noise-free life.

Everytime you hear her TV, bang the shit out of the floor to let her know that it goes both ways.
Old 05-08-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had the same issue with a neighbor below me. Nothing works... carpet, walking in socks, tiptoeing. I would get floor bangs just walking from the couch to the bathroom. Nothing short of hovering would have helped.

I eventually moved because the stress of worrying about every step was overwhelming.
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot to ask, is she hot?
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Sounds like a better solution would be to stuff your bitchy neighbor in a rug and drop it in a river.
Old 05-08-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As for the banging I think I would go down and tell her to pick up the damn phone or drag her butt upstairs and ask nicely for you to not make as much noise. The banging on the ceiling thing is the fastest way for her to get on the top of my list.

I wonder if she isn't hearing noise from a neighbor on the side of her or on your left to the side of you?

As for trying to reduce the noise... you could put rubber or plastic pads under the bed feet to keep it from rubbing on the floor, but if your bed creaks and she hears something it's probably nothing to do with the bed contacting the floor as much as her just being in a very quiet room (I assume her bedroom) and hearing every noise going on above her.
Old 05-08-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I forgot to ask, is she hot?
oh dear god no.

unless you find wrinkly 80 year old women hot.

ugh.
Old 05-08-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atari2600
unless you find wrinkly 80 year old women hot.
Sneak in her apartment and turn down the volume on her hearing aid.
Old 05-08-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live on the first floor, and I know that if we wanted to have the second floor apartment you were required to cover 80% of your apartment with rugs except for the kitchen and bathroom. I didn't want to carry stuff up to the second floor, and the first floor was cheaper so we opted for that instead.

I don't know if they are abnormally loud upstairs, but we do hear EVERYTHING on the first floor from the people above us. Sometimes you can hear their 2 dogs flipping out, their nails hitting the floor from running and chasing each other, or their loud yelping. I also can hear the guy yell every time he's watching sports because he cheers so loudly. We can hear when they fight. We can hear doors closing. If I'm in the bathroom I can hear the squeaking of their faucets if they are turning them on.

It doesn't bother me though. Most of the time I don't even notice it anymore. Other times I just laugh because the noises are pretty funny. When people come over and they hear it they ask me and my girlfriend how we can sleep or do anything with the noise, but I didn't even notice what they were talking about. People have to live. I have never complained to them once. Your neighbor might just be cranky.
Old 05-08-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd get a bunch of friends over and plop in a dvd, and then try to simulate all the moves on Riverdance.
Old 05-08-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
That's life in a apartment/condo/townhouse. It amazes me that those who chose to live in such places think they will have a noise-free life.

Everytime you hear her TV, bang the shit out of the floor to let her know that it goes both ways.
Even better, call her and complain every time.
Old 05-08-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Between this thread and the cockroach thread.. I'm very happy that I have my own house.

Have you tried talking to her? Maybe her hearing aid does need to be adjusted.
And yes, large area rugs would help.
Old 05-08-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by waporvare
I'd get a bunch of friends over and plop in a dvd, and then try to simulate all the moves on Riverdance.
Tap shoes for everyone!

Oh, and I think Bronkster has a keen idea.
Old 05-08-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had the same issue while living in an apartment with my older brother years ago, except our old lady downstairs wasn't rude enough to bang on the ceiling. She would just call the police on us a couple times a week.

More often than not, it was when my nephew, who was a toddler at the time, would be visiting. The kid wasn't being loud, but for whatever reason the lady couldn't tolerate his fast-paced toddler steps back and forth across the fully carpeted the apartment.

My brother tried to talk to her about it once, but she refused and shut the door on him. We just dealt with it for several months, and then she died. See, there can be a happy ending to such circumstances!

Have you considered just trying to scare the bejesus out of her? A heart attack at her age shouldn't raise any suspicions...
Old 05-08-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Old 05-08-08, 08:42 PM

Our crazy little cat loves to race as fast as possible from one end of the apartment to the other. He makes a LOT of noise for such a little thing.

I sometimes wonder what it sounds like to our downstairs neighbors. My last apartment was on the second floor of a three-floor building and we could hear everything they did. Which was sometimes a little disconcerting since their bedroom was right over ours.
Old 05-08-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Buy a large subwoofer and an audio signal generator. Play a very low frequency tone (around 10hz or so). Play it at a low volume, just enough to feel in your bones but not hear. It will drive her nuts.

When she cranks her TV, raise the volume and the frequency. You should find a point where the structure couples with the vibrations and everything starts to rattle. Raise the volume even more. Her pictures are now falling down and her plates are rattling. When the TV goes off, turn off the sub.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 05-08-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atari2600
my neighbor below keeps banging on her ceiling whenever we make the slightest noise (which is ironic because she blasts her tv so freaking loud every day and we never complain).
This is where I'd stop caring. In fact, I'd probably wear tap shoes when I'm home.
Old 05-09-08, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i forgot to mention that she doesnt speak english so trying to talk sense into her isnt going to work... her family i believe has listened to her one sided whine fests and just told her to bang on the ceiling with a broomstick every time she hears 1 db of noise.
Old 05-09-08, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Buy a large subwoofer and an audio signal generator. Play a very low frequency tone (around 10hz or so). Play it at a low volume, just enough to feel in your bones but not hear. It will drive her nuts.

When she cranks her TV, raise the volume and the frequency. You should find a point where the structure couples with the vibrations and everything starts to rattle. Raise the volume even more. Her pictures are now falling down and her plates are rattling. When the TV goes off, turn off the sub.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
thats freaking awesome.
Old 05-09-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid
This is where I'd stop caring. In fact, I'd probably wear tap shoes when I'm home.
im pretty much there. at first i felt a little bad but now that ive tried to make basically 0 noise and she still complains im almost enjoying the fact that it bugs her so much.

im being as considerate as possible and trying to avoid noise (no parties, no jumping, no yelling, no loud tv/radio, no nothing) and yet she still complains this much? fuck her.
Old 05-09-08, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really notice it when people walk on the upper floor (hardwood) in my house.

Maybe whoever installed it didn't put tar paper down first which would dampen the sound since the wood wouldn't be hitting the subfloor. And if you do want to reduce the noise... rugs.
Old 05-09-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete

Lather, rinse, repeat.

If you can get the tone low enough (I mean really low) then you will mess up her equilibrium and induce uncontrolled vomiting!!!

The Navy had issues with people working on submarines near their sonar domes in the past...now they are making it into a non-lethal weapon.

Last edited by Jeeden; 05-09-08 at 01:36 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.