Dad dies saving his little girl

Old 05-07-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dad dies saving his little girl

FELONY DUI CHARGES | Father's last act protected 4-year-old from crash

May 7, 2008

BY MITCH DUDEK

Chicago- With an out-of-control car bearing down, Joseph Richardson grabbed his 4-year-old daughter and held her up out of harm's way.

It was his last act -- and one that apparently saved his daughter's life.

Richardson, a 39-year-old father of three, was killed Monday evening by the car, driven by a man who police say was drunk.

The car pinned Richardson and his daughter Kaniyah against a wrought iron fence at 95th Street and Wentworth, police said.

Kaniyah survived and was listed in critical but stable condition Tuesday evening at Comer Children's Hospital, where a spokeswoman said she was doing well.

"He held the baby up to keep the car from destroying the baby, but it totally destroyed him," said Richardson's father, the Rev. L.V. Richardson.

Richardson was walking his daughter to a McDonald's for burgers at 6:40 p.m. Monday when a 1990 Chevy Cavalier jumped a curb and careened towards them, police said, citing witness accounts.

He grabbed his daughter just before the car slammed the two into the fence, police said.

Richardson was pronounced dead shortly after the crash -- a loss his twin, Timothy, said he felt before he was told.

"All day I just had a real bad gut feeling that something tragic was gonna happen," the hospital maintenance worker said. "And then when I was at home I could feel him and see, visualize what happened. . . . Right before they called me I could see him being in an accident. I knew he was gone.

"We had a very special connection and I just felt it."

The driver of the car, Angelo Thomas, 32, of the 200 block of West 95th Street, was charged with two felony counts of aggravated driving under the influence, police said. He was also cited with driving without a valid license or insurance.

Joseph Richardson, the father of two girls and a boy, all under the age of 11, was described as a devoted father. His other love was music. He was a gifted pianist and organist and performed in choirs at Cottage Grove Baptist Church and Greater Revelation Missionary Baptist Church, where his father ministers. His idols were Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder, his family said.

He wanted to go back to school for a degree in music or theology and become a practicing minister, his brother said.

One of four tight-knit siblings who grew up in the Roseland neighborhood, Joseph Richardson was adept at keeping those close to him safe.

"We looked out for one another," said Timothy Richardson. But Joseph, the larger twin, did most of the looking out, Timothy admitted.

"We used to go to St. Willibrord Catholic High School, and a guy was picking on me a little bit one time and [Joseph] stepped in," said Timothy. "I tried to talk him out of fighting, but him and the guy fought and went through a window together."

On Tuesday, Timothy wanted to remember the good times.

"I am five minutes older than Joseph. But he used to always tease me that even though I'm older, he figured he was better-looking. He always got me with that one."

http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/93...-dad07.article

-Such a selfless act. I really hope they put the drunk driver away for life.
Old 05-07-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What a tragedy. It's always the assholes that walk away.
Old 05-07-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish they would execute pieces of shit like this. Anyone stupid enough to drive drunk should die before they take out someone else.
Old 05-07-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

damn...that sucks that some asshole without license or insurance and drunk did that.

but that father is a real hero.
Old 05-07-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A loving parent has reflexes faster than thought.
Old 05-07-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is it that every time this happens, the dude was drunk AND had a suspended license?

What a shame.
Old 05-07-08, 05:02 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn.
Old 05-07-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i do think they should euthanize the people who do these acts... seriously...

i don't mean that as some "i'm so angry i want to post a terrible thing that should be done to this person"...

they should get death... and this stuff would stop happening so often...

in the entire history of man, death has been the only truly effective deterrent to human behavior...

that driver should die... maybe he has alcoholism, "i've got a disease your honor"... maybe it was all a big mistake and he/she is a good person... they should be killed and explain all of that to God and their victim after... see if they buy that horseshit...

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 05-07-08 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-07-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
A loving parent has reflexes faster than thought.
Oh yeah. I've pulled a few kids out of the road before a car could hit them. I never knew I could move so fast.

This dad is truly a hero.

Apply standard Otter "kill the fucker in the worst way" line here.
Old 05-07-08, 05:44 PM

That is just plain sad!
Old 05-07-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by mcfly
Why is it that every time this happens, the dude was drunk AND had a suspended license?
I used to work at the Dept. of Licensing (aka known as the DMV in other states), in the section of the dept. that dealt with drunk drivers, chronic offenders, etc. We saw DUI + Suspended License all the time, because of course by the time someone is driving THAT recklessly, it's not their first time driving drunk. The first time (or first few times), they get a DUI when pulled over, from which they get a suspended license or a probation that becomes a suspended license when they reoffend, then as time goes on, they drive more and more drunk (partly because as someone's alcohol tolerance goes up, they become less and less self-aware of how drunk they are... after many drinks, they think they can still drive because they don't FEEL drunk, but they literally cannot drive). If they keep driving more and more drunk, eventually their luck runs out and they're in a serious accident.

Ironically, drunks walk away from accidents BECAUSE they're drunk: they are too wasted to brace against impact, and some experts think this reduces their chance of injury. Unfair, but there it is.
Old 05-07-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say let the dead man's family run over the drunk prick

yeah hate I drunk drivers

offended? I don't give a shit
Old 05-07-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sad story
Old 05-07-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As with anything, you make the punishment tough enough and you will see a decrease in drunk driving. Throw the book at them on the FIRST offense, and see how many dicks will risk driving drunk.
Old 05-07-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
yeah hate I drunk drivers
But how do you feel about drunk typers?

Sad story, the dad is a true hero.
Old 05-07-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
But how do you feel about drunk typers?
Don't hate the playa, hate the game. I have no hate for Pedagogue.
Old 05-07-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
As with anything, you make the punishment tough enough and you will see a decrease in drunk driving. Throw the book at them on the FIRST offense, and see how many dicks will risk driving drunk.
Unfortunately, this isn't the case. This is more of a behavioral crime, not an impulsive crime, and as such, modifying a person's behavior by the time the law comes around to punish them, is way too late. It's the same with child molestation and child sex crimes. You won't change their behavior with strict punishment. So, you have to take them out of the community altogether. Removing these types of people from a community, will save lives. Of course, it is extreme, and many won't like it.
Old 05-07-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The problem with a lot of people is that, no matter how harsh the punishment is, they still think they are clever enough to get away with things.

Of course, if this guy had been executed instead of having his license revoked, he would not have been on the road that day.
Old 05-07-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course it wouldn't stop all of it, but if some jackass walked out of a bar and knew that he could get a year in jail as opposed to having his license taken away for a few months, it is going to make a difference for a lot of people.
Old 05-07-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Deterrents don't work because they rely on judgement, when the perpetrator is not using any, if they posses any in the first place.
Old 05-07-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bring back Prohibition!!

I don't understand why nicotine and fast foods are shunned so much in society when alcohol doesn't get the same treatment. I suppose it's because cigarettes kill the consumer while alcohol kills others.

I say all this in jest...sorta.
Old 05-07-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry to say..but due to the screwed up justice system in this country......

This man has rights! He's innocent until proven guilty and is allowed is day in court with an attorney paid for by us, the taxpayers!

This is a sad story...and the only rights the family will have is a "victim impact statement" at the sentencing..which may or may not influence the judge.

Sad, sad, sad
Old 05-08-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by porieux
Deterrents don't work because they rely on judgement, when the perpetrator is not using any, if they posses any in the first place.
If harsher penalties do not serve as a deterrent, then at least the criminal gets a deserving sentence. It's win-win.
Old 05-08-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Unfortunately, this isn't the case. This is more of a behavioral crime, not an impulsive crime, and as such, modifying a person's behavior by the time the law comes around to punish them, is way too late. It's the same with child molestation and child sex crimes. You won't change their behavior with strict punishment. So, you have to take them out of the community altogether. Removing these types of people from a community, will save lives. Of course, it is extreme, and many won't like it.
I'm all for removing people who can't be part of a community. Drive drunk? Spend years and years in jail for all I care. First offense? Oh well, you made the decision to drink and drive. Molest a child? I don't care if you ever see the light of day.

Why can't it be that easy? Private companies own jails, state/feds have routine inspections to ensure it follows rules, it provides jobs for people, make inmates do something that pays for it all- some physical labor or production.
Old 05-08-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel a drunk driver should always be charged with some level of Endangerment with a Deadly Weapon as well, regardless of whether the perp hits anyone or is just caught in a sweep. My research indicates this is considered a Class D or E Felony depending on the state. How about some mandatory sentencing guidelines (3-6 years)?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.