Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

75 Students Arrested in Drug Bust at San Diego State University

Old 05-06-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
75 Students Arrested in Drug Bust at San Diego State University

Story Here

Drug bust nets 96 at San Diego State

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Authorities have arrested nearly 100 people and seized guns and drugs in a sting operation at San Diego State University in California, the Drug Enforcement Administration said Tuesday.

Among those arrested were 75 students, some of them working toward criminal justice or homeland security degrees. One criminal justice major was charged with possession of guns and cocaine, authorities said.

One student sent a mass text message offering a "sale" on cocaine, the DEA said in a news release.

Campus police and the DEA began their undercover operation after the death of a student from an overdose in May 2007, the news release said. A second overdose death occurred as recently as February at a fraternity house.

"DEA agents infiltrated several student drug distribution cells and more than 130 drug purchases and seizures were made" during the investigation known as Operation Sudden Fall, the news release said.

Officials arrested 75 students and 21 non-students on a variety of drug charges, including selling cocaine.

Authorities say they infiltrated seven campus fraternities and found that in some, most of the students were aware of drug dealing by fraternity brothers.

The news release alleges a member of the Theta Chi fraternity sent a mass text message to his "faithful customers" saying he and some others temporarily would be unable to complete orders for drug sales due to a trip to Las Vegas, Nevada.

The text message went on to discuss a "sale" on cocaine and gave details on reduced prices, the news release said.

One student allegedly dealing cocaine was a month short of obtaining a master's degree in Homeland Security and worked with campus police as a student community service officer.

"This operation shows how accessible and pervasive illegal drugs continue to be on our college campuses, and how common it is for students to be selling to other students," said San Diego County District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis.

Officials say the evidence seized as part of Operation Sudden Fall includes four pounds of cocaine, 50 pounds of marijuana and 350 ecstasy pills. Authorities also confiscated a shotgun, three semiautomatic pistols and $60,000. E-mail to a friend | Mixx it | Share

I was watching the news conference on Fox News and they said one of the students asked if this was going to hinder his chance to become a FBI agent.
What a genius.
Old 05-06-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can get degrees in Homeland Security?
Old 05-06-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great, there goes my weekend fun...
Old 05-06-08, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Venusian
Yep, it's one of the new "trends". I haven't looked into it enough to see how it differs from a Criminal Justice type degree... frankly most of the places that offer it (or at least where it stated) seem to be more of the community college/"technical" degree type schools.
Old 05-06-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Man is just trying to keep some entrepreneurs down!
Old 05-06-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Part of me is stoked that these losers got caught. The other part is bummed that these harmless douchebags are going to further burden our already overcrowded justice system.

I have to go to jury duty next week, and it's probably for someone smoking some pot - the last time I was on jury duty it was for some chick with no prior, who had possession of a pipe with marijuana residue. Could something be more of a waste of fucking time than that? Me, the rest of the jurors and the whole court, had 2 days of our lives wasted for that meaningless bullshit of a trial - and for what. We all wanted to kill the arresting officer.
Old 05-06-08, 04:54 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
Part of me is stoked that these losers go caught. The other part is bummed that these harmless douchebags are going to further burden out already overcrowded justice system.

I have to go to jury duty next week, and it's probably for someone smoking some pot - the last time I was on jury duty it was for some chick with no prior, who had possession of a pipe with marijuana residue. Could something be more of a waste of fucking time than that? Me, the rest of the jurors and the whole court, had 2 days of our lives wasted for that meaningless bullshit of a trial - and for what. We all wanted to kill the arresting officer.
Did you acquit her?
Old 05-06-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Of course.
Old 05-06-08, 04:58 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-06-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

time to transfer
Old 05-06-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was watching the news conference on Fox News and they said one of the students asked if this was going to hinder his chance to become a FBI agent.
What a genius.
Just emualting a former drug using President and many celebrities. Government agencies have already relaxed the rules because the cant find enough qualified applicants.

FBI Considers Relaxing Hiring Policy
http://www.jobbankusa.com/News/Hirin...ng100905a.html
Old 05-06-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
Of course.
Old 05-06-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Venusian
That was my first question too.
Old 05-06-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Just emualting a former drug using President and many celebrities. Government agencies have already relaxed the rules because the cant find enough qualified applicants.

http://www.jobbankusa.com/News/Hirin...ng100905a.html

I didn't see the word arrested.. just used. If this kid is convicted of dealing or using drugs, I think his chances are slim to none. I think even if it's on his record (w/ no conviction) that he was arrested his chances are slim to none.

The new FBI proposal would judge applicants based on their "whole person" rather than limiting drug-related experiences to an arbitrary number. It would consider the circumstances of a person's previous drug use, such as their age, and the likelihood of future usage. The relaxed standard already is in use at most other U.S. intelligence agencies.
Old 05-06-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This operation shows how accessible and pervasive illegal drugs continue to be on our college campuses, and how common it is for students to be selling to other students," said San Diego County District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis.
Students are selling drugs to eachother on a big college campus? Good Lord, who ever heard of such a thing?
Old 06-01-08, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to my alma mater last week after 2 years, was the laughing stock here in Tally for a couple of days, but at least we're cleaning house. Saw some graffitti around town. Gaslamp as nice as always. Other than Imperial Beach being infested with cholos, Fun Diego as always.
Old 06-01-08, 01:35 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally Posted by Dave7393
Students are selling drugs to eachother on a big college campus? Good Lord, who ever heard of such a thing?

OMG! Like, those adults are TOTALLY out of touch!