Reload this Page >

Help with car suggestions please.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-06-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm leaning towards getting the 4 dr VW rabbit. I've had some kind of VW since 1994, so I'm really out of the loop about other automobiles and with baby number 2 coming, I need to keep the payment reasonable without buying junk.

I have noticed that VW doesn't have a lot of things that come standard AND, oddly enough, this is a compact car but they've given it pretty much the same zippy engine as the Jetta, so gas mileage is not very good compared to other compacts. One review said that the Rabbit is marketed to 18-34 year olds and I'm 40. Is that something to take seriously? I don't want to look like I'm trying to be "cool" or that I'm having a mid-life crisis.

Can I get some suggestions, links, info about other cars I might or should look at in the same price range that you think would be a better choice? I've scanned the net, but there's too much to really look at and it was kind of an overload. Some suggestions and and info here would really be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well you did not specifiy a price range so any suggestions are tough.

Have you thought about going pre-owned? Lots of nice Honda Accords and Toyota Camry's available off lease for good prices and warranties.

You could try here, lots of info

www.edmunds.com
Old 05-06-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well you did not specifiy a price range so any suggestions are tough.

Have you thought about going pre-owned? Lots of nice Honda Accords and Toyota Camry's available off lease for good prices and warranties.

You could try here, lots of info

www.edmunds.com
Sorry, I thought that mentioning the Rabbit would be enough to suggest the price range. I didn't think that others wouldn't know about what one costs.

The 4 dr. Rabbit starts around $17k and with decent features will go to $19k, so that's about my price range.

The only thing I've seen online that got my interest was the Scion Xd, I believe. It's just a tad cheaper if you get just about the same features. I've had a VW of some kind for about 20 of the 24 years since I got my first car at 16, so looking at others cars, especially on a budget, is actually intimidating.

I don't want to be a used car.

Thanks again.
Old 05-06-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so looking at others cars, especially on a budget, is actually intimidating.
Really? Sorry to hear that, looking at cars for me at least is loads of fun. It is the buying that becomes a pain.

Anyway as I suggested, Edmunds has alot of great info but nothing beats going out to the showrooms and driving for yourself.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmu...&tab=printable

Sorry to hear that you do not want to consider a pre-owned vehicle. You can get more for your money now that the depreciation is eaten. I used to be like you and would only buy brand new and then I bought my first pre-owned vehicle. I don't think I will ever buy new again.
Old 05-06-08, 02:58 PM

I would go with a gm car, maybe like a malibu or a g6 4 cylinder. Coinsder a prius as well as gas keeps killing us all.
Old 05-06-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Pre-owned Accord/Camry/Corolla/Civic for $10-$15 or new Rabbit or the like for $17-$19K.....

Any reason you don't want it to be used? You did say you wanted to buy something that would keep "payments reasonable without buying junk". Spend less for better product that's just a few years older.
Old 05-06-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're set on new, consider a Honda Fit.
Old 05-06-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like many have mentioned, buying certfied pre-owned nowadays is pretty much like buying new. You'll get a good car (as noted above, I would go with an Accord or Camry) at a good value and it won't be junk. These are also great and comfortable family cars.

I've noticed a difference when driving German to driving American or Japanese. You may too, so make sure you give it a test drive before you commit.
Old 05-06-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I don't want to be a used car.
Nobody does
Old 05-06-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nissan Altima. Lots of space for the kids.
Old 05-06-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm leaning towards getting the 4 dr VW rabbit....
You better be a hot chick. If you're not, and since you've have VWs before, I hope you're used to guys checking you out expecting to see a hot chick.
Old 05-06-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hiro11
If you're set on new, consider a Honda Fit.
Not bad. Not much of a sound system (one of few things I care about) and no sunroof (the other).

Have you seen the Scion Xd? That was the other one I'm considering and I'm adding yours, but if you know of the other, I'd be curious to know what you think between the two.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
You better be a hot chick. If you're not, and since you've have VWs before, I hope you're used to guys checking you out expecting to see a hot chick.
huh...why?
Old 05-06-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

VW's = chick cars
Old 05-06-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by parrotheads4
VW's = chick cars
yup.
Don't get me wrong - they're fine cars, but der Fuhrer would be none to pleased to know that his automobiles are the #1 choice for hipster 20-something girls.
Old 05-06-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
yup.
Don't get me wrong - they're fine cars, but der Fuhrer would be none to pleased to know that his automobiles are the #1 choice for hipster 20-something girls.
I've got a Jetta now and it doesn't feel like a young female car at all. And I'm not at all offended by the remark or trying to be defensive about it. It honestly doesn't seem girlie to me at all.

The rabbit might or the beetle, but I sure haven't felt that way about the Jetta and my last two leases have been Jettas.

About used. I am done with my 3 year lease in June, and my car only has 10k miles on it and it would cost me 15k to purchase.

This lease, though, with a lot of money issues getting tighter will probably be my last for a while and I'll probably buy this next car after the three years. So I kind of want to have that new feeling one more time, because it could be a longer time than I've gone before until I can get something new.

They're offering me an internet special for a loaded (it has everything) Rabbit for $19,999. Strangely enough, they're telling me, though, that the lease would be about $320 with $1000 (plus fees down) and my Jetta's monthly payment on the same term lease is only $301 and the car was closer to $24k. I don't get that at all, so I need to go in and have them explain it to me. They mentioned that the lease deal on a more expensive Jetta would be better for some reason. I thought getting a less expensive car would give me a lease payment that was also less. Guess not.
Old 05-06-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

for $17-19k

I would consider the kids. I wouldn't want to lug them around in a honda fit or vw rabbit. Think of safety first.

Even new, you could get a lower end accord or camry that will last much longer, and be safer, and roomier. If you want fancy trim, get it used
Old 05-06-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by grrrah
for $17-19k

I would consider the kids. I wouldn't want to lug them around in a honda fit or vw rabbit. Think of safety first.

Even new, you could get a lower end accord or camry that will last much longer, and be safer, and roomier. If you want fancy trim, get it used
The wife has a car too and it was chosen to do most of the driving with our daughter, but that's a good point.

They offered me a smokin'm deal on a Jetta SE for only $1,100 more than the Rabbit and it's loaded. I have basically the same car now, but 3 years older and in a different color and paid $3000 more for it. But the kicker is that the lease factor on the Jetta is about 1/2 of the Rabbit, so the monthly payment with $1,000 down is only $297. The Rabbit was $320 or so. And after 3 years, I'm pretty sure I'll need to buy the Jetta and it will only have $12,000 left so that's pretty reasonable too.

I also prefer the sedan to hatchback. I guess I was led to believe the Rabbit was a lot different than the Jetta in cost, but it's not.
Old 05-07-08, 12:51 PM

I also prefer the sedan to hatchback. I guess I was led to believe the Rabbit was a lot different than the Jetta in cost, but it's not.
Aren't the Rabbit and the Jetta essentially the same car?

They are built on the same platform with the same engine. The Jetta has a boot (or trunk if you prefer) rather than a hatchback.

The low end Rabbit is cheaper than the low end Jetta, but I suspect this is because of the trim level. I would expect that the two cars built with similar trim/options would be pretty close in price.
Old 05-07-08, 01:51 PM

People still lease with the intention of buying? I thought that failed money management 101 in the 90s?
Old 05-07-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would offer them 12K (Edmund's dealer sale price) for your old Jetta and finance it over 3 years. Then you will own a 6yo car with 20K miles and nothing to pay for except gas and the occasional repair.

Spend $100 to have it professionally detailed if you want that new car feeling.

I'm driving a 12yo Honda and love not having a car payment.
Old 05-07-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say the Rabbit is a good choice depending on if you have a good local dealer. I love my R32 and no it isn't a chick's car. The 4 door has more standard features over the 2 door.

I would suggest you check out golfmkv.com and vwvortex.com. Both have really good VW forums and should have info on the 2009s which should be coming out soon.