Reload this Page >

Should I report this company?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-05-08, 11:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I didn't buy anything from this place. I figured out what was happening pretty quickly and took off, so there's no lawsuit, BBB complaint, etc. to be filed. However, this place is still very shady, and I'm wondering if I should send a complaint to the state attorney general's office. Here's the story:

Last week, I went to buy a diamond necklace and took a look at loose diamonds at a local jeweler (D. Geller & Sons for anyone in Atlanta*). I took a look at a diamond that they claimed was a GIA VVS2 clarity. Since it's GIA (and they graded it on site), that mean it should be VS1 to VVS1. Well, before I could take out a loupe, I could immediately see obvious inclusions with the naked eye. Well, I'm no expert, but I'm there's no way I should see inclusions with the naked eye in a stone rated for that clarity. So, I tell the guy it's not a VVS2 diamond. He prompty pulls out the GIA report and hands it to me, and shows me where the stock number matches.

Problem #1: They're trying to pass off something that's SI1 or SI2 or worse as a VVS2. I should have taken off there, but I drove a while to get out there, so I wanted to stick it out for a few more minutes.

Here's the real "gotcha". So, I'm literally holding the GIA report for the "VVS2" when they come out with a new diamond with no obvious inclusions. I put that report from my hand and under my elbow (my arm/hand was in constant contact with the report at all times) and looked under a loupe. Absolutely, 100%, a different diamond (probably a VS1 or VS2). When I ask to see the GIA report, he points to the one under my arm, and shows me where the stock number matches. Whoops.

Problem #2: There was 1 GIA report with 1 stock number, but two very different diamonds that shared that stock number and GIA report.

I told them this, they denied it, I took off.

So, should I report this?

* And I'm not going to get into their incredibly over-the-top high pressure sales. Let's just say to avoid them completely. And if you don't believe me, try Google.
Old 05-05-08, 11:23 PM
Banned

And, as I said, I didn't buy anything, so it's not like I'm trying to "nail them" or anything. I just figure that if this is something they do regularly, maybe I should report it.

If the state AG gets enough similar reports, maybe they'll investigate.

Also, where should I report it? I figure the AG is a good place, but should I bother considering that it's an actual letter, and therefore a PITA? Eventhough there isn't a purchase or a potential resolution, can I still go the BBB route to make sure there's a record?

Last edited by matta; 05-05-08 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-05-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't bother going the state AG route.

The BBB router might be worth it, but I think you first should be able to show that you were right and they wrong.

Do jewelers have to be licensed in your state?
Old 05-05-08, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ranger
I wouldn't bother going the state AG route.

The BBB router might be worth it, but I think you first should be able to show that you were right and they wrong.

Do jewelers have to be licensed in your state?
2 different diamonds should not have the same stock number and GIA report. Even if they were right about the clarity of that first one (which they were not), they should have a new report for the other diamond.

That's part of the problem, though. They could claim they did give me a second sheet or that it was the exact same diamond, and it's my word vs. theirs.

My thought is that it's not really damning evidence against them, but if it's something they do regularly, and the AG has several prior reports, perhaps they'll go in an investigate.

I'm certain something is very fishy at that place. Luckily, I was educated just enough to avoid it.

I'm not really sure about the licensing. I'm not really into putting all that much effort into it.
Old 05-05-08, 11:51 PM

You can always contact the local Eyewitness News Team!
Old 05-05-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, this is definitely a job for the I-Team.

das
Old 05-06-08, 12:09 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Report it to the GIA.

My father was a member and I know they took these things seriously.
Old 05-06-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can file a report online: http://www.gia.edu/ethics/31236/gia_ethics_helpline.cfm
Old 05-06-08, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would totally call the I-team. They would eat that up in a second.
Old 05-06-08, 07:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Excellent. Online and everything. That's what I'll do.
Old 05-06-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean that people that sell diamonds are not honest and hide things in technical jargon?

Not sure who you could report it to, sounds like business as usual in a market where the average person has no idea what they are buying.
Old 05-06-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know the latest on the diamond class action suit?
Old 05-06-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since when is Matta an "average person?"
Old 05-06-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since when is Matta shopping for a diamond???
Old 05-06-08, 09:00 AM
Political Exile

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Show us your "grillz" after you're done.
Old 05-06-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, you too can blow three month's salary on a chip of glass-like material who's price is artificially inflated by one of the most evil monopolies on the face of the planet and is then sold through a network of crooks who have roughly the same character as your average arms dealer.

Sorry, I don't mean to thread crap, but I just don't get diamonds.

Last edited by Hiro11; 05-06-08 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-06-08, 09:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decadance
Since when is Matta an "average person?"
Obsessive compulsive + internet + bookstore + engineer - patience = not the prime candidate for that sort of scam.

Oh, Moze, it's not the first time I've bought diamond jewelry -- I mean (in case she's reading -- and I did wait until after the birthday to post).
Old 05-06-08, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's shiny and obligates sex. To me, that's worth it.
Old 05-06-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by drmoze
Since when is Matta shopping for a diamond???

Since he has been in Atlanta he has realized that his ear bling is not big enough so he needs a 3 carat rock in his ear to fit in with the rest of the playa/gansta crowd
Old 05-06-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Yes, you to can blow three month's salary on a chip of glass-like material who's price is artificially inflated by one of the most evil monopolies on the face of the planet and is then sold through a network of crooks who have roughly the same character as your average arms dealer.

You'll be singing a different song when you are stuck in jail on a pre-historic island with Amazon women and dinosaurs and your only way out is a diamond necklace.
Old 05-06-08, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by matta
It's shiny and obligates sex. To me, that's worth it.
Old 05-06-08, 12:19 PM

i really hate their advertisements... im not sure if it's AM680 or AM790 that i hear them on, but they're pretty annoying. The humor is that I think they're the ones that go on and on about not having a fancy showroom so that they can sell their diamonds cheaper.
You should sue them so they go out of business and I therefore don't have to listen to their ads.
Old 05-06-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, you to can blow three month's salary on a chip of glass-like material who's price is artificially inflated by one of the most evil monopolies on the face of the planet and is then sold through a network of crooks who have roughly the same character as your average arms dealer.

Seriously. And the whole "gemological institute official grading" thing is weird to me as well. Is it like Lake Wobegon, where they judge all the diamonds as above average?

The whole diamond industry is a scam, this is just one small specific example of it. When will Congress get involved with Big Diamond and their "windfall profits" and "market that has nothing to do with supply and demand".

I like this:
"I took a look at a diamond that they claimed was a GIA VVS2 clarity. Since it's GIA (and they graded it on site), that mean it should be VS1 to VVS1. Well, before I could take out a loupe, I could immediately see obvious inclusions with the naked eye."

"Well, I'm no expert". Maybe not expert, but you sound like at least a professional amateur (this is meant to be a compliment.)
Old 05-06-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

maybe they changed things but i thought a GIA graded diamond had to go through a GIA lab. one is in NYC and maybe there are more. i thought a jeweler can't just grade something GIA.

there is another organization called AGS and any appraiser who is part of AGS can grade it on their standards which a few years ago were slightly different than GIA
Old 05-06-08, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dtcarson
"Well, I'm no expert". Maybe not expert, but you sound like at least a professional amateur (this is meant to be a compliment.)
True. I would call myself an educated amateur. I may not be 100% right on everything, but I knew enough of the basics to figure out their scam.

What pisses me off is that they prey on people who go in there with no idea about anything, and that person gets completely ripped off.

As for the comment about fancy showrooms -- their showroom is dirty. It reminds me of a pawn shop. Besides, you can go to Solomon Brothers, (which have half a floor in a very nice skyscraper in Buckhead) and get a diamond for 25% cheaper (though you're still going to slightly overpay, but not nearly as much). I saw some guys bringing their wives into D. Geller for necklaces / wedding bands / etc, and I just felt bad for them.

The whole idea with D. Geller is to get you into the store, make you feel like an idiot (and therefore receptive to whatever crap they tell you), then create such a sense of urgency that you buy. Basically, they prey on the uniformed and risk adverse. There's a reason they have an "absolutely no refund" policy.

At one point, when they pulled that switch (and I challenged their diamond) I asked if they'd give a refund if an independent appraisal came up substantially (multiple grades) different. Answer: no.

As for the idiot comment, they just kept telling me that I had no idea what I was talking about. That there's no "Class I" GIA grade. That VVS2's aren't necessarily eye clean. That there's no such thing as a complimentary color. That there's no such thing as a crown angle. That floresence played no role in the diamond's look. That a "little bit of color" makes the diamond more valuable, etc. Amazingly, every other jeweler I've ever talked to before and after that encounter knew exactly what I was talking about.

Last edited by matta; 05-06-08 at 12:53 PM.