Reload this Page >

YACBT (Yet another car battery thread) 1995 Civic

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-05-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought a 95 Civic a couple summers ago that under 70,000 miles, still under 100,000.

Couple of weeks ago, I left the headlights when I went into a store and had to get a jump when we came out. I did it again Friday at work (the whistle doesn't always work to tell me the lights are still on), and had to get a jump from somebody else ( a diesel if it matters).

I didn't drive it again till last night, when I tried to crank it, and it really struggled like the battery was half dead, but it started up. I drove to the pharmacy, like 2 miles, it started back up fine on the way home. But then this morning it really struggled to start again.

I'm fairly sure the battery is the original one, but up until this it's started like it was new. Is there anything else that may have been damaged from the recent jumpstarts?

I fully plan on replacing the battery, like tonight if possible. What's too much to pay?

thanks
Old 05-05-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
When people need a battery, they can't really wait for a good deal. I once happened to need a battery while the Die Hard was on sale, but I've never had a chance to shop by price.

If I were in your shoes, I would look at the reviews to see what is the best battery I could get, and then pay for it.
Old 05-05-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm definitely not a car guy, but 13 years with the same battery? that doesn't sound right at all. it has to have been replaced at least once already
Old 05-05-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have to ask what kind of diesel jumped you, aren't diesels 24 volt???

I have not had consistent good luck with any after market battery, buy one that has a killer warranty and hope for the best
Old 05-05-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
i'm definitely not a car guy, but 13 years with the same battery? that doesn't sound right at all. it has to have been replaced at least once already

It is very rare for a battery to go 13 years, it is however possible. 10 years is a much easier mark to hit Most die in 4-7 years.
Old 05-05-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's too much to pay?
To avoid being stuck? You want to get a good battery for sure

http://buy.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_to_Buy_a_Car_Battery
Old 05-05-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure where's Frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, frak, spam, frak is - if you live OC/LA area, you can come to my work and buy a battery at my employee discount.
Old 05-05-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks, I'm in the Chicago area, I think I'm going to try an NTB and see if they have Interstate.
Old 05-06-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Before you replace the battery, take it to an Autozone or Pepboys and have them check it out for you, they'll tell you honestly whether or not you need a new battery. Midas will tell you that you need a new battery as well as a transmission rebuild. It's possible that your battery just needs to be charged, you can buy a decent charger at Sears for about $40 or $45.

I doubt that your battery is original, it may be just a few years old. Anyway, to answer your question, $70 to $80 will be the cost of a good battery for your car. You'll need to give them the old battery or else there'll be a core charge.
Old 05-06-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'm fairly sure the battery is the original one, but up until this it's started like it was new. Is there anything else that may have been damaged from the recent jumpstarts?

I fully plan on replacing the battery, like tonight if possible. What's too much to pay?

thanks
13 years? That's like 130 in battery years.

More likely the complete discharges damaged the battery than the jump starts. Car batteries are not designed for deep discharge. You probably have a sulfate growth between the plates. It will take a charge but not hold it as the growth is a moderate resistance short. Once this happens, the battery is toast.
Old 05-06-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, the only thing that kills batteries are age. Everything else is an "event" that gives it that last push to die. These include:

- Letting the battery go completely dead
- Temperature changes...most batteries die in the fall or spring when it goes from hot/cold or cold/hot
- Jump starting
- Anything other than "normal" operation

If you go long enough you don't really need an event to finish it off. There is no way that your battery is the original. Like someone said above, go to advance and they will put the battery under load and tell you the deal. They will also instal a new one for you right there and you won't have to pay a deposit to bring back the old core since they are right there to take it from you.