Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Slow Down!

Old 05-04-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow Down!

I typically fill up my gas tank (11 gallon tank) every two weeks. Typically on a Saturday or a Sunday. I don't do much driving except for work/home and to the store maybe once or twice a week.

For the past couple weeks I tried easing up on the gas more often. Letting the car go on it's own momentum on roads that were not going up hill and such. It helps that most of my commute to work is on roads that are 45mph or less.

I forgot to write down the exact mileage when I filled it two weeks ago, but I didn't need to fill it yesterday (Saturday) but I decided to just to see compared to two weeks ago at this same time how much gas I needed. I saved a whopping 2.347 gallons in two weeks.

I think that's pretty good. It might seem small, but over a year's time that adds up a lot (and if gas goes up to $180.00 per barrel in the next two years and drives gas prices up to near six bucks a gallon, as some economists are predicting it will be more significant). I think I just might put my savings away in my savings account and use it to pay for gas on my vacation next year!

So slow down! Increase your fuel economy!

(I wrote down my mileage this time at the pump. I will see how much better it is in two more weeks. I tend to average 26 mpg when I first got my car a couple years ago...a Chevy Aveo.)
Old 05-04-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but if you drive about 100, you'll get there in half the time. That's bound to save gas?
Old 05-04-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

or just drive on the highway at a constant speed
Old 05-04-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been coasting down hills ever since I started driving.
Old 05-04-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JimRochester
Yeah but if you drive about 100, you'll get there in half the time. That's bound to save gas?
You sound like my dad. We used to have the same argument. He could never understand that MPG has nothing to do with time.
Old 05-04-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JimRochester
By that logic, if you run everywhere you go, you will burn fewer calories.
Old 05-04-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I accelerate fast and usually do 75-90 on the highways.

My car usually get 300 miles/tank.

With the 'fuel economy' in mind. And the fact that I've (oddly) gotten two police warnings over the past few months, I took it easy for the past couple tanks. I get about 20 miles more to the tank.

The fuel economy isn't worth it. I'd rather get where I'm going faster.

And I don't know exactly why the 'speed up and you'll get there in half the time' argument would be valid. It OBVIOUSLY burns more gas-per-mile to drive fast. There's absolutely no question about it.

All that being said, I pretty-much stopped all unnecessary driving.
Old 05-04-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Is driving to Starbucks necessary or not?
Old 05-04-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
You're killing Earth! Whahhh.
Old 05-04-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I take public transportation during the week, I drive as fast as possible when I drive anywhere on the weekends.
Old 05-04-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Driving slow is not fun. Driving slow is not why I got my car.
Old 05-05-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Driving slow is not fun. Driving slow is not why I got my car.
To be clear, I am not going slower than the posted speed limit. I am finding I can go the posted speed limit and not have to hit the gas as often and it's helping me out.
Old 05-05-08, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
If you can afford to buy gas, then anything is necessary.
Old 05-05-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm such a tightwad. Many times since I've been driving (25 years) I'll turn off my AC when I accelerate quickly or go up a large hill. My four cylinder Accord will react faster, but I also think about saving a little bit of gas and freon (or whatever a 1999 car uses for coolant).
Old 05-05-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started doing that, get to a top of a hill at around the speed limit and let it coast. If its flat roadway say 35 mph I get up to 40 or so and foot off the gas until I'am going 35 again. It does seem to piss people off but I'am getting close to 1.5 mpg more now.
Old 05-05-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why coast down a hill when you have to use more gas to get up the next one? You should speed up going down a hill and coast going up the next one since it takes less power to make you go faster going down hill.
Old 05-05-08, 04:39 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I attached a harness to the front of my car and I make my wife and kids get out and pull, except on very large hills. For those I find it works better if they push.
Old 05-05-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mopower
Why coast down a hill when you have to use more gas to get up the next one? You should speed up going down a hill and coast going up the next one since it takes less power to make you go faster going down hill.
This is an interesting question which I will posit to my engineering friends. Could be a good sequel to the airplane-on-a-treadmill question.
Old 05-05-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
I increase my fuel economy by going on long road trips, not by slowing down.
Old 05-05-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mopower

Aerodynamic drag is proportional to speed. By going faster down the hill and attempting to coast up the next one, your overall velocity is greater and so will be your losses to aerodynamic drag. It is also generally accepted that rolling resistance also increases with speed.

Depending on the sizes of the hills, however, the need to use a different gear on the way up vs on the way down may negate these effects.
Old 05-05-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

one time i tried to drive real slow and conserve gas. around 50-60mph. tried to accelerate very slowly. was able to get 42 mpg on the mfd, which is usually about 5-10% higher than actual mpg. not too shabby considering my car is rated at 29mpg highway.

Old 05-05-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
one time i tried to drive real slow and conserve gas. around 50-60mph. tried to accelerate very slowly. was able to get 42 mpg on the mfd, which is usually about 5-10% higher than actual mpg. not too shabby considering my car is rated at 29mpg highway.

That's a nice little display in your car! I like that...wish mine had it!
Old 05-05-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
You sound like my dad. We used to have the same argument. He could never understand that MPG has nothing to do with time.
I should have used the because I was being sarcastic.
Old 05-06-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
I increase my fuel economy by going on long road trips, not by slowing down.
Agreed, you can increase your gas mileage by not taking so many unnecessary short trips.

There's some new fangled term called hyper-miling which just seems to be a collection of techniques to save gas, including such simple things as not accelerating as quickly to techniques like turning off the engine when at coasting speed (!), filling your car tires up with nitrogen, and drafting behind other cars.

Of course, if you're already driving a non-fuel-efficient vehicle, what are the chances you care enough to do these things?
Old 05-06-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No.

I just want to get where I am going without getting killed. The price of gas has done nothing to diminish the absolute hoard of vehicles on my area roads.

Driving is a privilege not a right, I'll use as much gas as I am willing to pay for and not complain about the price.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.