Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Ran out of gas (possibly) -- Do I need to put in a minimum to get it started?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-04-08, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I have a 93 Honda Accord. It has a 14 gallon tank. It won't start. It's not the battery or anything like that. The car doesn't sound weak, it sounds like it's ready to start (it doesn't sound like it's struggling or anything), and I noticed that my gas tank was pretty much directly on empty. I don't usually do that, I like to fill it up well before that, but I just didn't notice it and my gas light didn't go on when I was driving last night. I had a neighbor weigh in on the situation, someone who knows something about cars, and they believe it's just the gas, and said that if I filled it up some that it should start.

So I'm thinking I might simply have run out of gas for the first time in my life. Well, I put in about 3 gallons of gas that I got in a gas can. It still won't start.

I had previously heard that once you have run out of gas, you might actually have to put in more than just a little gas to get it started up again. Is 3 gallons not enough? Any advice or suggestion is very much appreciated.

I'm hoping and praying that it's just the gas, and not something else.

Last edited by Seantn; 05-04-08 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-04-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Not an expert but 3 gallons sounds like more than enough. Could be the fuel pump. One time my car wouldn't start and I had to call a mobile mechanic and he found out it was the relay to the fuel pump, thankfully.
Old 05-04-08, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you tried pumping gas pedal for a little while then start the engine. If not woking, try put engine starter spray in carburetor and fire up the engine.
Old 05-04-08, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
fuel pump.....

Old 05-04-08, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

3 gallons should be enough. I remember running my Beemer down to nothing. Dumb move to find a cheaper gas station. Anyway, the lame ass AAA guy comes and barely fills the tank with his little container and the car was fine until I filled the tank.
Old 05-04-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by McHawkson
If not woking, try put engine starter spray in carburetor and fire up the engine.
Wouldn't the car have fuel injectors, not a carb?
Old 05-04-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have a carburetor, you may have to prime it with a little gasoline.
Old 05-04-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

when you have an older car... a lot of sediment can be present in the gas tank... gas can have varying degrees of sediment present in it depending on the age of the underground tanks at a particular station...

anyway...

running a tank down to empty can cause the sediment to be picked up by the suction and clog the fuel filter... and the car will not run...

around 20 years ago i had to keep lots of fuel filters on hand for my mom's car as she had went to some old gas station out of convenience, and this station must have had iron tanks from pre-WW2 era or something... or bad gas... either way it put so much sediment in her gas tank it took months of regular fuel filter changes to keep the car running, even though i siphoned most of that gas out of the tank the sediment had settled to the bottom... the clogged fuel filter would literally stop the engine while she was driving down the road...

you may have went down low enough in that car's 15 year old gas tank to catch up some sediment and clog the fuel filter... if you don't know how long it's been since you put a new filter in the fuel line, that makes this more likely...

this is just one possibility of course... but a sound possibilty based on what you describe...

since you mention you hope it's not serious i assume you'd rather buy a $6 dollar fuel filter before major servicing anyway...
Old 05-04-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

happened to me a couple years ago: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=459205

i only put in 1-2 gallons and was able to drive fine.
Old 05-04-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
when you have an older car... a lot of sediment can be present in the gas tank... gas can have varying degrees of sediment present in it depending on the age of the underground tanks at a particular station...

anyway...

running a tank down to empty can cause the sediment to be picked up by the suction and clog the fuel filter... and the car will not run...

around 20 years ago i had to keep lots of fuel filters on hand for my mom's car as she had went to some old gas station out of convenience, and this station must have had iron tanks from pre-WW2 era or something... or bad gas... either way it put so much sediment in her gas tank it took months of regular fuel filter changes to keep the car running, even though i siphoned most of that gas out of the tank the sediment had settled to the bottom... the clogged fuel filter would literally stop the engine while she was driving down the road...

you may have went down low enough in that car's 15 year old gas tank to catch up some sediment and clog the fuel filter... if you don't know how long it's been since you put a new filter in the fuel line, that makes this more likely...

this is just one possibility of course... but a sound possibilty based on what you describe...

since you mention you hope it's not serious i assume you'd rather buy a $6 dollar fuel filter before major servicing anyway...
Given the age of the car, this sounds like a pretty good possibility to me.
Old 05-04-08, 02:24 PM

If it's got a carb, you'll for sure need to pour a little gas down the throat of the carb. Every time my old Jeep use to run out of gas (gauge was busted, was a frequent occurance) I'd have to do that if I tried to restart it more than once before realizing it was the gas.
Old 05-04-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pour gas in the carburator, as someone said. One time I ran out of gas, restarted the car like 3 times and sucked up the last couple drops, I poured a gallon or two in the tank and it wouldnt start I had to pour some in the carb
Old 05-04-08, 04:44 PM

If you have AAA, and you run out of gas, they only run you out 2 gallons.
Old 05-04-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
bwvanh114 is buying a new car. See if he'll give you his old one
Old 05-04-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

93 honda is fuel injected...sounds like sediment problem... or your pump might of died b/c it might be a pump that uses the fuel to keep it lubricated.
Old 05-05-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where did the OP go? I hope he is checking the blinker fluid, that is the #1 cause.
Old 05-05-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the price of gas, I wouldn't be surprised if someone siphoned it off.