Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How long has your wallet/purse Survived?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: How long has your Wallet/Purse lasted?
one year
6.78%
two years
6.78%
three years
1.69%
four years
8.47%
five years
11.86%
six years
5.08%
seven years
3.39%
eight years
10.17%
nine years
1.69%
ten years and beyond
44.07%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just realized I've had the same wallet since high school. It's survived close to ten years! My mother on the other hand keeps getting a new purse every freaking year and they're always in good condition. Is it just a woman thing to buy new purses every year or something?
Old 05-03-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Not sure how long I've had this wallet. I estimated around 3 years. I've been thinking about a new one so by the time I get around to it, it'll be another 2 years.
Old 05-03-08, 12:31 PM

I actually just replaced my wallet 2 weeks ago after having the old one for more than 10 years!

This is my first leather wallet.

Chris
Old 05-03-08, 12:34 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My wallets last an average of 5 years. I'm about 6 months into my current one.
Old 05-03-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a black buffalo calfskin bifold wallet that has been with me for over a dozen years. It has been washed, dunked in a lake, and run over by multiple vehicles, but it's still going strong. I don't recall the brand (imprint wore off after a couple of years, I reckon), but I got it at the leather shop where I used to get my shoes and boots resoled. Long closed.
Old 05-03-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mhg83
My mother on the other hand keeps getting a new purse every freaking year and they're always in good condition. Is it just a woman thing to buy new purses crap every year month or something?
fixed
Old 05-03-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got a new wallet for christmas, my 3rd one in about 15 years. So about 7 years average.
Think of how many germs are on your wallet, you touch it all the time and its never been washed in years. Pull it out right before you pay for your fast food.
Old 05-03-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
And likely even more germs on the money itself.
Old 05-03-08, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
fixed
Can we stop with the lame fixed jokes? Please?

Anyway, I've had my leather wallet for at least ten years. It's still in pretty good shape. I didn't pay much for it, and I most likely got it at Kohls.

As long as it holds my cards and cash I'll keep it.
Old 05-03-08, 01:04 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
Can we stop with the lame fixed jokes? Pretty please?
Fixe... nah.
Old 05-03-08, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83
I just realized I've had the same wallet since high school. It's survived close to ten years! My mother on the other hand keeps getting a new purse every freaking year and they're always in good condition. Is it just a woman thing to buy new purses every year or something?
A purse is diffrent, we change them to match what we have on or to match shoes or depending on where we are going, so that is why we have so many. I have had the same wallet for over ten years its leather and I am looking for another one like it.
Old 05-03-08, 01:22 PM
Banned

I dont use wallets but my scarface money clip has lasted 5 years and still going.
Old 05-03-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Had to replace my wallet over the holidays after having my previous one for around 15 years, it was almost like losing a favorite pet.
Old 05-03-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I go through a wallet every two years.

Mine seem to wear faster than before I was an officer due to the metal badge inside.
Old 05-03-08, 02:06 PM

Real wallet is going on 6 years. The spare "mugger wallet" that I started carrying to hand out to those "kindly requesting assistance" after being mugged riding my bike to work last year, has thankfully not needed to be replaced yet.
Old 05-03-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought a new one. I usually replace mine every year, just to have a new one.

= J
Old 05-03-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

8-9 years. No plans to replace it, just a wallet that's still in good condition.
Old 05-03-08, 02:38 PM

I'll be 44 years old in a few weeks, and I still use the wallet I received as a Christmas gift when I was in the 10th grade, so nearly 30 years.
Old 05-03-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't ever see the need to replace my current wallet. It is nice and slim and big enough to hold a few bills and cards. I don't need anything bigger.

The crazy thing is the leather still looks brand new. I answered "four years" but the wallet may be older than that.
Old 05-03-08, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by FiveO
I go through a wallet every two years.

Mine seem to wear faster than before I was an officer due to the metal badge inside.
I never carried a badge case/wallet combo. At first I carried a dedicated badge case but it wore out in no time. Keeping one in your back pocket just destroys them. After that I started wearing mine on a belt clip next to my holster. It raised fewer eyebrows when I was carrying unconcealed out of uniform that way too.

As far as wallets go, Iím 35 and on my third wallet. Wallet #3 is six years old and still has a few more left to go. It was a birthday gift from my wife. It sat in a drawer for several months before she forced me to make the switch. Ladies, for the record, a man changing wallets is a major life event not to be taken lightly. It would be something like you getting rid of your best fitting pair of blue jeans. Wallet #2 is in a drawer now patiently waiting for the new one to wear out. I know I can get five more years out of it.
Old 05-03-08, 04:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I use my wallet until it almost falls apart. I'm on maybe my 4th wallet in 30 years of using them.
Old 05-03-08, 04:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm guessing that almost all the answers are guesses as to the number of years. Unless you just got the wallet in the last year, how can anyone possibly remember exactly how many years?

Does anyone's mind actually work that way? Could I point to some random possession and you would know exactly how many years you've had it?

I don't think I could answer that question 100% accurately with a car or house or girlfriend (not that this fictional girl is a "possession"), let alone an insignificant item like a wallet.
Old 05-03-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would guess that I've had my wallet about 5 years. I've lived in Denver for 8, and didn't move here with it, so I can kind of narrow it down.

I don't really like it, but haven't found one better.
Old 05-03-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing I've had my current wallet for about 4 years. They usually last me quite a bit so I should have this one for a long time.
Old 05-03-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 10-7
I never carried a badge case/wallet combo. At first I carried a dedicated badge case but it wore out in no time. Keeping one in your back pocket just destroys them. After that I started wearing mine on a belt clip next to my holster. It raised fewer eyebrows when I was carrying unconcealed out of uniform that way too.

As far as wallets go, Iím 35 and on my third wallet. Wallet #3 is six years old and still has a few more left to go. It was a birthday gift from my wife. It sat in a drawer for several months before she forced me to make the switch. Ladies, for the record, a man changing wallets is a major life event not to be taken lightly. It would be something like you getting rid of your best fitting pair of blue jeans. Wallet #2 is in a drawer now patiently waiting for the new one to wear out. I know I can get five more years out of it.

I'm a plainclothes investigator so I have the wallet badge and one on a clip just in front of my holster. When I'm off duty I'll throw the gun under the seat of the car if I go somewhere. Don't usually wear it....but that way I have a badge just in case.

Then of course the most important reason to have a wallet badge....to get out of speeding tickets. I've spent hours working the sublety of the license / badge flip just kidding of course!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.