Reload this Page >

Why are MRI machines so darn loud?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-02-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Had an MRI on Tuesday and geez, does that thing make a racket! So what's the explanation for the noise? Can't they put a muffler on that thing?

Funny thing is the technician gives you earplugs and says she'll be talking to you throughout the procedure. Well with the noise and the earplugs, I didn't hear a darn thing she said.
Old 05-02-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your actually hearing the electrical current going into the magnets. The greater the magnetic field they tell the machine to produce, the more current it needs to power the magnets on the outside of the machine to counteract the magnets on the inside of the machine to make the field.
Old 05-02-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Had an MRI on Tuesday and geez, does that thing make a racket! So what's the explanation for the noise? Can't they put a muffler on that thing?

Funny thing is the technician gives you earplugs and says she'll be talking to you throughout the procedure. Well with the noise and the earplugs, I didn't hear a darn thing she said.
nice - I had one last night as well and completely agree. I was just trying to imagine them as techno beats - Moby or Tiesto should work w/ hospitals to develop something a bit better.
Old 05-02-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So was it lupus?
Old 05-02-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I understand the noise has to do with the current powering the magnets, but can't they do something about the noise?

Yeah I thought about techo beats also at first, but they need more variety because they got on my nerves after 5 min!

No idea what I've got, hence the tests. I've had pins and needles in my limbs and pain in my joints for about a month now. Could be about a hundred different things... Maybe a neurological problem.
Old 05-02-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
So was it lupus?
It's never lupus!
Old 05-02-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES...ing/thesis.pdf
Old 05-02-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice

According to the article he posted above they are working on it. I have no doubt that you could decrease the noise if you packed the thing with tons of sound proofing material, maintained it like crazy to make sure that all the connections and fasteners were as tight as possible at all times, etc, etc.

Many things can always be done..question is money I would expect. MRI's used to be crazy expensive in the early 90's they are still pretty expensive, but not like before. I doubt they would do anything that would raise the cost of purchasing, using, or owning a machine at this point.

You can buy a lot of CD players for the cost of all that stuff I mentioned above.
Old 05-02-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shazam
So was it lupus?
I hope not
Old 05-02-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Metal objects in the vicinity of a MRI can be dangerous. In 2001, a six year-old boy was killed when an oxygen tank struck the child. When the MRI magnet was turned on, the oxygen tank was sucked into the MRI, and the child was struck by this heavy object."
Old 05-02-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

A fully loaded pallet jack gets sucked into the MRI.
Old 05-02-08, 04:22 PM

I had to have several MRIs through 1986,1987, and 1988. Big as hell and louder than the current gen machines, for sure.

I remember once that my belt was not removed, and the buckle kept being pulled up when the machine would go full throttle. It wasn't a huge issue, but as an 8 year old, it was interesting to feel my pelvis thrusting toward an inanimate object.
Old 05-02-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDerek
nice - I had one last night as well and completely agree. I was just trying to imagine them as techno beats - Moby or Tiesto should work w/ hospitals to develop something a bit better.
Maybe they were working with Merzbow while developing the sound.
Old 05-02-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just had one done last week and it was loud as hell...you'd think a machine that costs 132 million could be made to be just a *tad* bit quieter....but whatever I guess
Old 05-02-08, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by heimerSWT
It wasn't a huge issue, but as an 8 year old, it was interesting to feel my pelvis thrusting toward an inanimate object.
As a teenager, however, it became a common occurrence.
Old 05-03-08, 02:32 AM
Suspended

Last time I had one, my right ear was ringing for a week. I started worrying about tinnitus, but then it went away.

Thankfully, they only had to do one. I know someone who had three back-to-back. I think I would have gone nuts.