Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The power of the Otter is needed: Can you help me solve this mystery?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-01-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, sorry about the cryptic title, but I need to send out the "otter signal" and request some help figuring out what 2 messages that appeared on my cell phone mean.

I am going to refrain from saying anything more about it for right now, because I want some objective guesses. I can fill you guys in on the details later.

The mystery:

I am on the cell phone (sony ericsson Z525) with someone, call seemingly gets disconnected. I can't hear them, they can't hear me. My phone says I am still connected (as it often does right after dropped calls). Two messages come up in rather quick procession. First, "the call is being held by an other party"...then a few seconds later..."the call is being retrieved by another party", followed by the phone showing that the call has been disconnected.

Without any other details at this time, what would you guys take this chain of events to mean? I have my ideas, but I want to hear yours...

(I hope his isn't in the wrong forum, although it is techish, I assure you, nothing is wrong with my phone, so I figured the power of the otter might be able to help)
Old 05-01-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Government wiretapping? Have you been associating with known terrorizers?
Old 05-01-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 05-01-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dave-o
"the call is being held by an other party"
There was an other party and no one invited me? This is just like high school all over again
Old 05-01-08, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by John Galt
There was an other party and no one invited me? This is just like high school all over again
Old 05-01-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The FBI?

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6140191.html
Old 05-01-08, 08:14 PM

You know what's freaky? If you google "the call is being retrieved by another party" the fourth entry that comes up is this thread.

Sounds like whoever you're speaking to is putting you on hold in order to connect a third party to the same line to listen in?
Old 05-01-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The call are coming from inside the house!
Old 05-01-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have thrown my phone across the room.
Old 05-01-08, 09:10 PM

Well there is obviously more to this story and I will fill you in on some of the detail in a little bit, but rest assured I am quite sure that the government and the FBI are not interested in me...

Thanks for the guesses so far, I appreciate them (keep them coming)...
Old 05-01-08, 09:39 PM

probably to do something with signals and tower switching
Old 05-01-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The "other party" is really Satan, and at the end of the story it turns out that you are dead!

I'm right, aren't I?
Old 05-02-08, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
The "other party" is really Satan, and at the end of the story it turns out that you are dead!

I'm right, aren't I?

Ok, so at least one person mentioned what I thought (not the satan one). My first thought was that it had to do with conference calling and that the person I was speaking with had me conferenced in with someone else without my knowledge.

I have some good reasons to think this, but I am not 100% certain. I called both my carrier and the phone manufacturer and neither of them were able to give me a definitive answer. However, the phone manufacturer rep seemed pretty sure that it was what I thought it was, but couldn't be certain.

Does this seem plausible based on what I told you? What if I told you that you already had reason to be suspicious that the person on the other end was trying record you or somehow bait you into saying something that could cause you some problems? For example, earlier in the phone conversation you had reason to believe the person was actually typing as you spoke, until you aked them to stop...

Does my guess seem plausible? I know it is hard to tell from the little I have told you, but what do you think?
Old 05-02-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you should start using a land line.
Old 05-02-08, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I think you should start using a land line.
Luckily I didn't say anything in the phone conversation that made me look bad, in fact, if anything it would be the opposite.

So, has anyone ever seen these messages appear on their cell phones?

Am I being too paranoid (or maybe not paranoid enough)?
Old 05-02-08, 10:26 AM

a few weeks ago i made a call on speed dial and the signal failed. a few seconds later i heard people talking. i listened for a bit and then said hello. after a few times of saying hello they answered back but then ignored me. finally the call ended. it seemed like some call from a bank or accounting. it was very weird. i remember this happening with the old cordless phones but never a cell phone.
Old 05-02-08, 11:25 AM

Yeah, the phone call went pretty normally until we got disconnected, which unfortunately is also pretty normal for my carrier. Then those two strange messages appear. Add all of this to the fact that I was already suspicious about the other person's motives and it made me get paranoid about it.

From what I remember about the whole Linda Tripp thing, it is illegal to record someone without their knowledge. I wonder if it is also illegal to have a third party on the line without the person's knowledge...
Old 05-02-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

next time be sure to blurt out:

"Why do you keep inviting me over to your place for the wild orgies? Don't you know I am not into having sex with animals like you are?"
Old 05-02-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I remember about the whole Linda Tripp thing, it is illegal to record someone without their knowledge. I wonder if it is also illegal to have a third party on the line without the person's knowledge...
The recording of calls is a state law not federal law so depending on where you are it could be perfectly legal.

I have no idea about the messages though.
Old 05-02-08, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by fishdude
The recording of calls is a state law not federal law so depending on where you are it could be perfectly legal.

I have no idea about the messages though.
Interesting, thanks for the info. I will have to look into that.

FYI, the person I was speaking with is my soon to be ex-wife...
Old 05-02-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In most states only one party has to consent to the recording of a phone call, which is kind of bizarre, since you can generally expect the person hitting 'record' to consent. I'm not sure what the laws are concerning third parties.
Old 05-02-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen some references to this for the erricson phone. Most of the references seem to compare it to call waiting. What is your carrier?

For example: On verizon, if someone is on their phone in a conversation and I call them, I will get a different ring (it beeps between rings) to let me know they are on the phone so I can hang up if I don't want to disturb them or have them put the other person on hold and answer my call.

From what I have seen on the internet it sounds like your phone handles this differently and it gives you messages on the screen.

I wonder if maybe she got a call while you were on the phone and she switched over to answer it, which it sounded like to you she had disconnected, but you were really on hold.

She was on a cell also?
You both have the same cell network?
Old 05-02-08, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jeeden
I've seen some references to this for the erricson phone. Most of the references seem to compare it to call waiting. What is your carrier?

For example: On verizon, if someone is on their phone in a conversation and I call them, I will get a different ring (it beeps between rings) to let me know they are on the phone so I can hang up if I don't want to disturb them or have them put the other person on hold and answer my call.

From what I have seen on the internet it sounds like your phone handles this differently and it gives you messages on the screen.

I wonder if maybe she got a call while you were on the phone and she switched over to answer it, which it sounded like to you she had disconnected, but you were really on hold.

She was on a cell also?
You both have the same cell network?
I believe she was on a cell from the same network. It is At&t/Cingular. Hmmm...what you are saying is interesting. Perhaps I am wrong here and just being overly paranoid. The weird thing as, after the second message, the phone was completely disconnected (i.e. no more connected symbol). I called her back after and asked her directly if it was a conference call, to which she said no (which of course doesn't really mean anything either way).
Old 05-02-08, 12:22 PM

Also, I have used the call waiting feature on my phone and it is different then these two messages I saw. Typically if someone calls me it beeps, and then I can choose to answer and/or put the other person on hold. These messages were strange in that they indicated that an "other party" was somehow involved in holding and retrieving the call...
Old 05-02-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the government and the FBI are not interested in me...
All cell phone calls are monitored and recorded, you would not see a message on your cell phone from this though

I would agree that it could be third party conferencing, however *if* the other person was the conference leader, your physical phone would have no idea that was going on.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.