Reload this Page >

David Blaine breaks breath-holding record

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-30-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

David Blaine breaks world record for holding one's breath By TARA BURGHART, Associated Press Writer
13 minutes ago

CHICAGO - David Blaine took on a Zen-like appearance in the water tank as the minutes ticked by during his attempt to set a new breath-holding record. Oprah Winfrey, however, was anything but calm.

She fidgeted in her chair, pursed her lips, placed her head in her hands, and kept seeking reassurance from the doctor at her side about the 35-year-old magician's persistently high heart rate.

"I'll be glad when it's over. I don't like suspense," she told the audience during a commercial break.

Soon enough, Winfrey and Blaine could breathe a lot easier.

Submerged in a water-filled sphere on the stage of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" during a live broadcast, Blaine held his breath for 17 minutes and 4 seconds. That bested the previous record of 16 minutes and 32 seconds, set Feb. 10 by Switzerland's Peter Colat, according to Guinness World Records.

Blaine had a smile on his face soon after his head rose above the water and he took several deep gulps of air. Within about a minute, he was able to hold a microphone and tell Winfrey, "I feel great," later adding that breaking the record was a fulfillment of "a lifelong dream."

Before his attempt, Blaine was allowed to inhale pure oxygen for up to 30 minutes, although he inhaled for only 23 minutes. A Guinness World Records judge was on hand to certify the feat.

In May 2006 as a finale to a week spent in an aquarium with an air mask at New York's Lincoln Center, Blaine tried to set another type of breath-holding record. Without breathing pure oxygen beforehand, he tried to break the existing record of 8 minutes, 58 seconds for an attempt of that type.

But he had to be rescued shortly after 7 minutes when he was unconscious and having convulsions.

Blaine was in much better shape after Wednesday's attempt. He walked unassisted down a set of stairs to join Winfrey for an interview. He told her he had doubted while in the water whether he'd be able to break the record because of his high heart rate.

The lower the heart rate, the less oxygen is consumed.

Blaine had expected his heart rate to drop perhaps as low as under 20 beats per minute while he was in the water. But for most of the attempt, it was over 100 beats per minute, then started dropping and fluctuating rapidly during the last 2 1/2 minutes.

While training, Blaine said he would meditate to lower his heart rate. But amid the hubbub of a live studio audience, and with a record at stake, Blaine admitted he had trouble forgetting his surroundings.

Earlier in the show, Winfrey noted that her boyfriend, Stedman Graham, was making a rare appearance in the audience because he's such a fan of Blaine's work.

For Winfrey, however, the endurance feat was "nerve-racking to witness," she told Blaine.

Blaine joked about coming back on her show again and again to get used to the surroundings, lower his heart rate and set new breath-holding records.

But first, Blaine said he plans to try to break the world record for staying awake. The current record is 11 1/2 days, he said. However, Guinness said it no longer acknowledges such attempts because of health concerns.
Old 04-30-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
his first try was blown by the X days in a tank crap...

the 'no sleep' thing will probably kill him... the person who lived longest without sleep was 11 days and some hours... and he died...
Old 04-30-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

BFD. I once held the world record at Asteroids, played for 36 hours, 43 minutes on a single quarter.
Old 04-30-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Earlier in the show, Winfrey noted that her boyfriend, Stedman Graham, was making a rare appearance in the audience because he's such a fan of Blaine's work the current record-holder.
Fixed.
Old 04-30-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

and he makes money off this crap. im doing something wrong.
Old 04-30-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
David Blaine breaks world record for holding one's breath By TARA BURGHART
Do a lot of people hold their breath by Tara Burghart?
Old 04-30-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoveler
BFD. I once held the world record at Asteroids, played for 36 hours, 43 minutes on a single quarter.
Big deal. I've had Asteroids for years! Can't even sit on the toilet some days.
Old 04-30-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, reminds me of the "Jedi hibernation" trick from the EU.

But yeah, BFD.

I've held my breath for 18 minutes 23 seconds, went 94 days without food, and nine days without water!
Old 04-30-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd love to see Oprah hold her breath for 17 minutes... or at least shut up for 17 seconds.
Old 04-30-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
Ah, reminds me of the "Jedi hibernation" trick from the EU.

But yeah, BFD.

I've held my breath for 18 minutes 23 seconds, went 94 days without food, and nine days without water!
Fuck, dude. You are INDEED, a Ranger! I salute thee.
Old 04-30-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The funny thing about the statement above is that they may not honor the not sleeping thing. However he just stayed under water for 17 minutes 4 - thats not nearly life threatening!
Old 04-30-08, 11:02 PM

He truly is amazing.

Old 05-01-08, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the videos - I thought they were funny and surprisingly well thought out too. I think David Blaine would get a kick out of them - I would hope.

EDIT: Okay, these are hilarious. My favorite: "You can buy that scarf." and the baby video.

Last edited by beesonosu; 05-01-08 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-01-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Those were pretty funny. I love how he stares at the camera. The two guys were so over the top wussy that it was funny.
Old 05-01-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
After he breaks the going without sleep record, he might go without breathing for years!

Of course, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is years ahead of him on being still dead.
Old 05-01-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still trying to break my own personal record of not beating off for more than 5 days.

Wait, I misread the thread title.