Reload this Page >

Anyone use engine-free push mowers?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-28-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be moving into a house with an actual lawn in a couple of months. Instead of buying a engine-powered mower, we're considering one of those push mowers.

Anyone use those?
Old 04-28-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope your yard is really small.....
Old 04-28-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is, actually. Well, it's huge but 80% of it is garden, trees, and other lawn-free areas.
Old 04-28-08, 09:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Minor Threat
I hope your yard is really small.....
And level.
Old 04-28-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All these words of warning of smallness and levelness is a bunch of crap. My lawn isn't a postage stamp, but I prefer my push mower. Not only it is decent exercise, it's much easier to maneuver. If I don't wait too long to mow, I can even let the grass sit on top as mulch. BTW - you'd have issues with levels with any type of mower.

I got tired of dealing with gas, oil and storage of my power mower. I prefer the ease of the push.
Old 04-28-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use one. I have a smallish yard, but it does a fine job. You'll have to gets the blades sharpened every year or two, but at $75, with no gas/oil to buy, it's been great for me.
Old 04-28-08, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
All these words of warning of smallness and levelness is a bunch of crap. My lawn isn't a postage stamp, but I prefer my push mower. Not only it is decent exercise, it's much easier to maneuver. If I don't wait too long to mow, I can even let the grass sit on top as mulch. BTW - you'd have issues with levels with any type of mower.

I got tired of dealing with gas, oil and storage of my power mower. I prefer the ease of the push.
How big is your yard? How much longer does a push mower take than a gas mower? That's the only thing I was concerned with when considering this, that's why I ended up buying a gas mower. All I ever read was that your lawn had to be small and level and that a push mower would only do a decent job if the grass was short and dry.

Is the mulching issue any different than mulching with a gas-powered mower?

I'd still consider buying one if I could hear some more honest opinions from people that have pretty good sized yards and prefer a push mower.
Old 04-28-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to when I lived in a townhouse. They do an adequate job on short grass but you will have a very hard time in the spring when the grass is growing quickly.
Old 04-28-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've used a push mower in the past. It works fine as long as the grass isn't too tall. And most come with the attachable basket to catch the clippings.

Now I have an electric mower. No gas mower for me since I store it in my house.
Old 04-28-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I used to when I lived in a townhouse. They do an adequate job on short grass but you will have a very hard time in the spring when the grass is growing quickly.

I do have to cut my grass weekly, but since it takes me 15 minutes, it's no big deal. It cuts tall grass fine, you just have to find the right angle.
Old 04-28-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
We'll be moving into a house with an actual lawn in a couple of months. Instead of buying a engine-powered mower, we're considering one of those push mowers.

Anyone use those?

Push mowers= Does a worse job cutting the lawn and is more work.

If you want to reduce your carbon foot print, there are easier ways.
Old 04-28-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Puch mowers are supposed to be better for your lawn, they cut the blades of grass instead of tearing the blades. I use one, it does a good job for a moderate sized yard.

I have a tree that drops twigs on a regular basis, so I have to pick them up before I mow because they stop the blade.
Old 04-28-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I tried using a push mower once, but all it did was pull the lawn, roots and all, right out of the soil. WTF!
Old 04-28-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I tried using a push mower once, but all it did was pull the lawn, roots and all, right out of the soil. WTF!
If the blade was dull it'll yank on the grass.
Old 04-28-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought a push mower when I first got the house. I figured that the lawn was small enough for it to work. The mower was fun and easy . . . when it worked right. But I discovered that the lawn has to be putting-green smooth for it to work well. My lawn isn't. Also, every twig would jam the blades and it was like walking into a wall. I had a big tree in each yard, and there were lots of twigs.

Now I use a corded electric mower. It's much easier.
Old 04-28-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to have a corded electric mower. Used to take a LONG time to mow the lawn.
Old 04-28-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Push mowers= Does a worse job cutting the lawn and is more work.

If you want to reduce your carbon foot print, there are easier ways.
Damn straight. Hire a Mexican to cut the lawn for you!
Old 04-28-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by stp115
I use one. I have a smallish yard, but it does a fine job. You'll have to gets the blades sharpened every year or two, but at $75, with no gas/oil to buy, it's been great for me.
I use 2 gallons of gas and 20oz of oil a YEAR. I'll rather pay $15 and pocket the extra $60. (I sharpen the blade on my own bench grinder.)
Old 04-28-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
I use 2 gallons of gas and 20oz of oil a YEAR. I'll rather pay $15 and pocket the extra $60. (I sharpen the blade on my own bench grinder.)

Sorry I wasn't clear. The $75 was for the mower itself. I haven't had the blades sharpened yet, but I'll just do it myself when I need to.
Old 04-28-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I used to have a corded electric mower. Used to take a LONG time to mow the lawn.
As I said, I have a small lawn. The back is about 10'x20'. The front is about 15'x40'. Most of the yard is xeriscaped.
Old 04-28-08, 12:32 PM

Push mower works fine for me, even on an incline. Good workout, lawn looks fine and I don't have to worry about the clippings since they are small enough to blend back into the grass.

Would an electric mower work better and easier? Sure, but I'm willing to deal with that just for the workout.

I only wish my neighbors would use a push mower as well, I hate it when they use a loud engine mower at 7am on a Saturday.

Edit: This the mower I use:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rd=lawn+mowers

Last edited by WepaMan; 04-28-08 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-28-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shazam
Damn straight. Hire a Mexican to cut the lawn for you!
That's what I did, except I don't think the guy is Mexican.
Old 04-28-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grenier
If the blade was dull it'll yank on the grass.
It was a brand spanking new mower, bu so was the lawn, so I guess it hadn't attached itself to soil enough.
Old 04-28-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A gallon of gas will give you like 5 hours on a mower, they sip gas.
Old 04-28-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott182
How big is your yard? How much longer does a push mower take than a gas mower? That's the only thing I was concerned with when considering this, that's why I ended up buying a gas mower. All I ever read was that your lawn had to be small and level and that a push mower would only do a decent job if the grass was short and dry.
Hard to say, but it's probably twice the size of my house. In terms of longer, I'd say it's QUICKER, given that I don't have to put the care into the power mower. But I'm a meticulous mower, I usually go over the lawn twice from different angles. As for short and dry grass, I just mowed my long and wet grass and with some exceptions, it worked fine. A power mower would have had the same issues.

Originally Posted by scott182
Is the mulching issue any different than mulching with a gas-powered mower?
Oh yes. Unless you remow the clippings, and even then, the clippings will be WAY too big to use as mulch. A mulching mower cuts it much, much finer. Again, not an issue if you mow with a reasonable frequency.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.