Reload this Page >

Things to do in Puerto Rico?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-25-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Puerto Rico at the end of May and am looking for any help you guys can give.

I'm getting there Thursday afternoon. I have all day Thursday and Friday free. Saturday we're going to see Old San Juan and hang out at the beach. Sunday we're going on an all day caving trip. Monday we are going rain forest hiking, beach, and kayaking in the bio bay at night. Tuesday morning is beach and then flying out.

We were planning on renting a car to get around (5 of us), but our hotel charges $20/night parking! How hard are taxis to get around? What should I do on Thur/Fri?
Old 04-25-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this one is tough. A car would be ultimate as it gives you total freedom but 1) is expensive and 2) we drive like maniacs. you do have a couple of days. I would maybe go to Ponce and check out the museum, the Castillo Serralle. since you are getting there in the afternoon I would check out Old san Juan that evening or go to Isla Verde and drink and eat. then maybe do the above the day after. Since you are already doing the Cuevas de Camuy I was going to sugest going to Lares and having some ice cream and check out the small town and even go to Aguada/Aguadilla just to get a different look at the island. It all depends what you and your party are into.
Old 04-25-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

we're into outdoors stuff (obviously). one of the girls suggested seeing some art museum, is that what you're talking about?

we're staying at a hotel near Isla verde so that might work.

i've seen lots of stuff that say driving on the island is bad, how bad is it? is it like urban u.s. driving or 3rd world driving?
Old 04-25-08, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Venusian
we're into outdoors stuff (obviously). one of the girls suggested seeing some art museum, is that what you're talking about?

we're staying at a hotel near Isla verde so that might work.

i've seen lots of stuff that say driving on the island is bad, how bad is it? is it like urban u.s. driving or 3rd world driving?

It is like city driving in NY.

As what to do:

Go to Culebra. It seems that you are already going to the Camuy Caves and el Yunque. For nightlife, Isla Verde, Condado and Old San Juan.

There is also La Parguera in Cabo Rojo which is more or less a 2-3 hour trip from San Juan to the southwest part of the Island. There are many beaches over there.
Old 04-25-08, 04:40 PM
Banned

There are other suggestions of what to in the island here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=519165
Old 04-26-08, 02:46 AM

The Barcardi Factory is always popular especially since there are free drink(s).....Arecibo is another that isnt too far from San Juan...If I were you Id rent a car and not take the taxis.....Just be careful of the police with the machine guns they will shoot you if you break the law :P........If you wanted to take a trip there is always the south side of the island....My finacee has family in Ponce...I like going to La Guancha, but the other parts I go to I wouldnt recommend to vacationers, for safety reasons...
Old 04-26-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Did Puerto Rico get that bad since I last lived there?
Old 05-02-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Short answer....hop on a plane back. Sorry but i have been here for a while now and am looking forward to getting the hell out of here.

You might also be hoping for nice weather....well keep your fingers crossed as the weather recently in San Juan has been horrible. Non-stop rain and flooding. The weather generally is nice though so hopefully it will clear up by the time you aririve.

I suggested a few places to another person before and i will say rent a car, go to the rain forest, Isla Verde and Condado and Old San Juan (El Morro). You will have a good time i am sure. I have just been here so long that every little thing irritates me here. Being from England i am used to people driving and acting in a civilized manner....not jumping out of Mad Max 2.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 05-02-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ph8te
but the other parts I go to I wouldnt recommend to vacationers, for safety reasons...
I think thats a little harsh. PR is like more places....you quickly get an idea of the places to avoid at all costs. Each city has these suburbs and there are not that many places here where i would feel really unsafe....La Perla being one of those of course.
Old 05-02-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I lived in Puerto Rico for a little over four years and I never once felt unsafe. Sure, there's theft but you just have to have your wits about you. I wouldn't recommend going to La Perla either and I'm sure all the towns have bad areas, but it's no different than walking around any major city in the US.
Old 05-02-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

that's what i'm thinking but my friends are reading stuff on the web about how there are tons of carjackings and how people dont even stop at red lights at night because of them
Old 05-02-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is not fucking Iraq. is not that bad at all. people are making it seem like is the dmz or something. we do drive crazy but not crazier than NYC. so if you are used to city driving you would be ok. Also, there is almost nowhere in Puerto Rico I wouldn't go. Like others have mentioned you have to have your wits and not look like a hillbilly tourist but even then almost nothing happens to tourists. is usually stupid people doing stupid stuff like going to the beach when there is a hurricane warning, not even aggresive pan-handlers. this kind of started with Hernandez Colon as there was a kind of honor code to leave tourists alone. the worst thing you will notice is that people will be friendlier than you might be used to (except when driving) and that it might take you longer to get places especially when people quote a few minutes. and we run late to everything. you will have a great time and it wouldn't surprise me if you ended up loving it. I think even James would stay if it wasn't so far from home for him and his other personal issues that he has mentioned here as it is a fairly nice place that has many problems like any other country.

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 05-02-08 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get hepatitis
Old 05-02-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can sum it up this way: if you stay holed up in your hotel / San Juan, it's your loss.
Old 05-02-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I can sum it up this way: if you stay holed up in your hotel / San Juan, it's your loss.
absolutely. Bus, where did you live? I'm guessing metropolitan area? why move/leave?
Old 05-02-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I lived in MayagŁez for three years and in Ponce for two. We went to / stayed in San Juan usually once per month since a lot of my family had friends in the area.

I was young and still in school at the time. My parents moved to find better jobs / careers.

My only complaint about Puerto Rico is that they seem to mangle both English and Spanish. Hearing their Spanish was pretty grating for the first year I lived there.
Old 05-02-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

find hot boriquas and tongue em'. then post pics here. my girlfriend is from puerto rico...they are naughty naughty women!
Old 05-02-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by chino77
find hot boriquas and tongue em'. then post pics here. my girlfriend is from puerto rico...they are naughty naughty women!
Pics?
Old 05-02-08, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Pics?
[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 05-02-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

8 minutes.

Ladies and gentlemen of Other, this is how you fucking come through with pics when asked. Promptly and accurately.

Thank you sir.
Old 05-02-08, 08:19 PM

lol your welcome.

edit..your not gonna comment on if she is hot or a puke?

Last edited by chino77; 05-02-08 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That would be ungentlemanly of me.

But since you're asking.
Old 05-02-08, 08:39 PM

lol thanks...im very ungentlemanly so i dont mind!
Old 05-02-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

chino gets ultimate props for the quickness.
Old 05-02-08, 11:31 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
See the forts in Old San Juan. Great history there. Old San Juan is very quaint too. Those were the highlights for me. I didn't care for the beach where I stayed in San Juan. The surf was rough and lots of undertow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.