Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Best way to protect photographs/autographs?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-25-08, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sort of a strange question - I've been collecting autographs from various conventions over the past few years - most are signed 8x10's, 8.5x11's and some larger (or smaller) sizes. In total I've probably got a few hundred and have been storing them in Itoya Art Profolio presentation books: http://www.amazon.com/Itoya-Archival...9132325&sr=8-1

A few are also stored in those 3-ring binder plastic sheets, and a couple are framed using inexpensive ($15 or so) frames from local arts&crafts stores.

So far they've been holding up pretty well (in use for about a year or so now), but after seeing my friend pull out a "protected" photo the other day (only to see that the plastic protector he had it in (I'm guessing a comic bag, for some reason) almost glued to the photo (and seeing it just rip the image off the paper) I'm a bit hesitant to continue this way).

I'm guessing these presentation books are more designed for this type of use than a comic bag, but I wanted to see what the best method for protecting a large number of these would be. Are the methods I have now safe enough or will I have the same problem down the road?
Old 04-25-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like your friend might've had humidity problems. Was he using the same bags as yourself? How long had that picture been bagged?

I have some autographed pics also and the ones that aren't framed are in a binder. I use Avery Poly-Vu protector pages. No problems so far (just checked 'em) but I'll be interested to see some recommendations. I'd be more than happy to switch out for a better protector page.
Old 04-25-08, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He was using (from what I could tell) just the normal 10-cent comic book bag you'd fine (with backing) and had them on a shelf with several books (I'm not sure if it was humidity or if the books were crushed up against the bag, causing it to stick). The ones I'm using are a little more professional looking (the presentation books are designed (from what I can tell) for photos and artwork, but for the small price (< $5 for a book of 24 pages (double sided, holds 48 photos)) I'm not sure how much I can expect out of it.

I also use some of the Avery protector pages (as well as other brands - some which seem more protective than others).

With the time and investment I've put into them, I wouldnt mind switching to a new 'system' if it means them lasting or not lasting.