Reload this Page >

Legal Question / Utility Construction on Easements

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-24-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not where I live, but close. In a nutshell, AT&T will be installing new "utility boxes" on 5'x 5' concrete pads around Springfield, Illinois, many on utility easements in people’s back yards.

I thought that easements only granted access to the property for a utility to bury a cable / pipe / whatever. Can a utility really build things on top of an easement? Keep in mind that the property owner owns the easement.

http://www.sj-r.com/News/stories/29254.asp

AT&T irks residents with utility box installation
By CHRIS WETTERICH
STAFF WRITER
Published Thursday, April 24, 2008

AT&T has upset some Springfield residents with its plans to install nearly 100 utility boxes around the city, some of them in people’s yards.

The boxes are being installed so that AT&T can begin offering digital video service here. They also will help the telecommunications giant upgrade its Internet and telephone services.

AT&T representatives visited Bauer about three weeks ago to tell him they were going to put a 5-by-5-foot concrete pad with a box on the utility easement inside his backyard fence…
Old 04-24-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

depends on local laws, but from what i know an easement means someone else can do what they want on your property
Old 04-24-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they have an easement they can likely do what they want.