Reload this Page >

My roommate's alarm clock went off...three months later

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-22-08, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My roommate took this semester off after having surgery in January, and went back home to Pensacola. Each bedroom has their own locks and he locked his bedroom door before he left. Today, the alarm clock in his room went off for the first time since he's been gone. I had to flip some switches on the circuit board until I cut the power in his room and it stopped, but what I want to know is: why/how the hell did his alarm randomly go off 3 months later?? Is it even possible to set an alarm that far in advance? Has anyone heard of an alarm clock randomly going off like that?
Old 04-22-08, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know. But when I was a freshman in highschool, the guy in the room next to mine seemed to have trouble grasping the whole AM/PM thing. I don't know if he set his time wrong or the alarm wrong but it would CONSTANTLY go off around 8:00 at night, and go and go and go for fucking HOURS, until he got home. You'd think he'd have figured it out the FIRST time. NO! It took him FOUR MORE FUCKING TIMES before he realized, "Oh, I have the time and/or alarm wrong." And for whatever reason, the RA wouldn't go in and turn the damn thing off.

Ahh, memories
Old 04-22-08, 02:09 AM

I'd search out a Catholic priest. And I'd call him to make sure he is okay. Seriously that is odd.
Old 04-22-08, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

maybe the battery died and shorted the radio?
Old 04-22-08, 05:08 AM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by shaun3000
I don't know. But when I was a freshman in highschool, the guy in the room next to mine seemed to have trouble grasping the whole AM/PM thing. I don't know if he set his time wrong or the alarm wrong but it would CONSTANTLY go off around 8:00 at night, and go and go and go for fucking HOURS, until he got home. You'd think he'd have figured it out the FIRST time. NO! It took him FOUR MORE FUCKING TIMES before he realized, "Oh, I have the time and/or alarm wrong." And for whatever reason, the RA wouldn't go in and turn the damn thing off.

Ahh, memories
That reminds me of something that happened in college: one girl on our short branch of the hallway (6 single rooms, all women) had a talking Mickey Mouse alarm clock that would call out, LOUDLY, "Good Morning! It's Time to GET UP!". It would REPEAT that phrase until the snooze alarm was hit OR an hour had passed. If she let it go more than a few minutes, it was loud enough and disturbing enough that it would wake the entire hallway.

So of course, Spring Break rolls around, most of us are in town for the 2-week break (Finals week + a little over a week), EXCEPT this chick with the annoying alarm. She left town at the start of Finals week.

Yep... First morning, like 6:30am, that stupid alarm goes off, and keeps going for an HOUR. This repeats the 2nd and 3rd day, despite our please to the RA to go in and turn it off (or hit it with a baseball bat, we weren't picky).

The fourth day, the second it went off, we all went together and woke up our RA, and told her either she goes in and turns the damn thing off, or we bust the door down and beat the crap out of it ourselves. She took one look at our faces and got her keys and turned the clock off.

Bitch didn't even apologize when she found out what happened after she got back.
Old 04-22-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Poltergeist?
Old 04-22-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I set an alarm either in the spare room or the guest bedroom. It goes off very briefly (3 or 4 beeps) every few weeks. It never rings long enough for me to be able to find it.
Old 04-22-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember one of my college roommates had one of those bookshelf stereo units that are really expensive. It had very powerful (or loud anyway) speakers for it's size. It was pretty loud each morning (in his own room of our apartment) because it would start playing a cd and the volume would turn up until someone turned it off. Well one day he wasn't in town and forgot to turn it off and it was soon at the top of the volume level. I'm sure it woke up everyone for 2 or 3 apartments in each direction. I had to pick the lock on his door to get in and turn it off.
Old 04-22-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My mom used to have a Barny toy truck that had very old batteries in it. The damn thing would go off for no reason, anytime of the day or night. you wouldn't have to turn it on or anything. It was weird.
Old 04-22-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like a fire hazard with that door being locked. What are they hiding? (besides an alarm clock)
Old 04-23-08, 03:38 AM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
My mom used to have a Barny toy truck that had very old batteries in it. The damn thing would go off for no reason, anytime of the day or night. you wouldn't have to turn it on or anything. It was weird.
My best friend's two little boys were given gifts like that a few years ago, that made noise when moved, or when buttons were pressed, or when there was motion nearby. After not too long, they started getting woken up every so often by the toys going off in the middle of the night, and they thought it was the batteries, too.... until one night, she caught two of the cats playing with one of the toys, trying to set it off, at like 2am. Stupid cats thought it was fun to play with noisy toys in the middle of the night.
Old 04-23-08, 09:03 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
When I was a sophomore in college, I picked up the unfortunate habit of letting my alarm go off and slooooowly, groooooggily waking up, taking up to a minute to finally turn it off. Finally, my roommate told me it really bugged him when I did that (poor guy was at a point in his life when anyone could walk all over him, which I was doing without knowing it because he was also at a point in his life when he didn't really say if he was frustrated). I changed that habit and since then have always had my alarm go off for about two seconds before turning it off and jumping out of bed. It's really gotten me going in the morning and starts my day off right. Thanks, Josh!

A follow-up to my roommate? Two years later I'm in his new room (we're both RAs in different residence halls) and his alarm goes off. I start laughing, just an outright laughing fit where I can barely breathe. He asks what I'm laughing at and I ask if he finds this particular alarm effective. He says yeah, it wakes him up immediately every time without fail. I point out to him it's the exact same alarm I had that bugged him so much! The tone, the pattern, everything was the same - no wonder if was so effective! Josh flipped out over this insane moment of Pavlovian coincidence, to the point where he contemplated smashing his stupid clock and throttling me. The clock and I lived, by the way.

Last edited by story; 04-23-08 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I started hooking up with this girl in college who lived in a basement apartment below two of my classmates. They went home every weekend, but never shut off their alarm clocks. Every Saturday morning at 6 am the alarms would go off, and I could hear them as I was trying to nurse a hangover in the basement below.

Luckily, the breaker box was in the basement, so I started flipping the breakers every Friday night. This went on for months, and my classmates kept on asking me if the power went out every weekend. They never connected the fact that I asked them several times to turn off their alarm clocks with their bedrooms losing power. I guess they never noticed that the rest of the clocks in their part of the house were never blinking.