Reload this Page >

Are the bars in PA closed tomorrow?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-21-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know? Does a primary count as an election? Is the ban of alcohol sales on election day even enforced any more?
Old 04-21-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Considering a few Philly bars (including Silk City) are having election-night specials, no, they're not closed.
Old 04-21-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PA's got some strange blue laws. I remember trying to buy beer one time in State College. I was allowed to purchase a 12 pack of beer. Once that purchase was made, I had to take the beer outside, where there was a line drawn on the sidewalk a set distance from the store. I had to place the beer on the other side of that line, then I could walk back inside and buy another 12 pack.
Old 04-21-08, 07:30 PM

I wonder if hobos hung around by that line a lot.
Old 04-21-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
PA's got some strange blue laws. I remember trying to buy beer one time in State College. I was allowed to purchase a 12 pack of beer. Once that purchase was made, I had to take the beer outside, where there was a line drawn on the sidewalk a set distance from the store. I had to place the beer on the other side of that line, then I could walk back inside and buy another 12 pack.
I grew up near State College and moved away before I was 21. When I came back to visit years later I went into a 6 pack shop and was astounded at the whole ordeal about how much you are allowed to carry out at a time. The clerk told me I could take what I had my hands on and come back for the rest. I got a bit shitty with him cause I thought he was commenting that I couldn't carry all I bought because I was a wuss or something. He informed me of the law, I said it was stupid, he quickly agreed with me and we both went about our business.
Old 04-21-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
PA's got some strange blue laws.
I'll say! When I got a hotel room while driving through the state, I asked the clerk if there was a bar around. She said "No." Then proudly added "We're a dry county!" My head almost exploded! What a crazy place. Beautiful state though.
Old 04-22-08, 09:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Beautiful state though.
Not as you get close to Ohio. But I agree, eastern PA is lovely.
Old 04-22-08, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I wonder if hobos hung around by that line a lot.
This sentence should be taken outside and shot.
Old 04-22-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not that I'm a fan but isn't the Washington Capitals vs Philly Flyers playoff game 7 on tonight? I bet there would be a lot of pissed off hockey fans in Philly if the bars are closed.
Old 04-22-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia hasn't worked PA's weirdo blue laws into a storyline (yet), considering all of the main characters own/work at a bar and are always drinking.

Maybe the writers don't know about them, though. Although I can't recall the specific situation, I remember there was a previous episode's events that were contrary to the actual blue laws.

Not that I'm actually looking for realism in this show, but it would provide some good comedy (especially if it involved Charlie).
Old 04-22-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I'm surprised that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia hasn't worked PA's weirdo blue laws into a storyline (yet), considering all of the main characters own/work at a bar.

Maybe the writers don't know about them, though. Although I can't recall the specific situation, I remember there was a previous episode's events that were contrary to the actual blue laws.

Not that I'm actually looking for realism in this show, but it would provide some good comedy (especially if it involved Charlie).
Drinking in Philadelphia is not much different from drinking in any other town, especially at bars and taverns. If anything, I'd say it's even slightly better since a lot of restaurants are BYOB.
Old 04-22-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
I'd say it's even slightly better since a lot of restaurants are BYOB.
seriously?

Restaurants can't sell liquor?
Old 04-22-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Iron Chef
seriously?

Restaurants can't sell liquor?
I believe the rule/law is that if you can't sell liquor, customers can bring in their own. So either the restaurant serves drinks or it doesn't. If it doesn't bring in your own. Unfortunately, I don't think this applies at places like McDonald's.

I believe all the liquor stores are owned by the state. Most places (pizza places, for example) will sell you six-packs of beer. So you can go to a liquor restaurant, get some beer to go, then go eat at the other place.

This is all Philadelphia. I don't know about other areas in PA.
Old 04-22-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah yes, having gone to college in PA for 4 years, I am quite familiar with PA's bizarre alcohol sales laws.
Old 04-22-08, 11:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeeden
I bet there would be a lot of pissed off hockey fans in Philly
Sports fans in Philly don't need a reason to be pissed off, it's just their natural state.
Old 04-22-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I believe all the liquor stores are owned by the state.
Yep! And they proudly monopolize the liquor market.
Old 04-22-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Sports fans in Philly don't need a reason to be pissed off, it's just their natural state.
Touché, you bastard.
Old 04-22-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lywkR0RN_U4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lywkR0RN_U4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>