Reload this Page >

eHarmony question

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

eHarmony question

Old 04-19-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eHarmony question

I signed up with eHarmony a few days ago, though not as a paying member. I've received 3 batches of matches (I should put on my profile that I'm also a poet), but now it's telling me I've reached my match limit. I have 11 open matches and 7 closed, and it's telling me to "view my matches" to get more. I've viewed them about as much as I can without paying, so I'm wondering if I'm now at the point where I need to pony up the $$ if I want to see any more?

I guess I should because I do have more than a few in that 11 I wouldn't mind communicating more with, and so I could see their pictures, and see who is looking at my profile.

Brian
Old 04-19-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I signed up due to a thread on here a few years ago (I think they were saying they weren't getting any matches). I still haven't paid.

They'll increase your limit little by little as time goes on. I think my limit is close to 100 now.
Old 04-19-08, 03:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
And definitely hold out for at least the standard discount of 3 months for the price of one. I hear they keep sending you discount offers that get better and better.
Old 04-19-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Internet dating: The odds are good, but the goods are odd.
Old 04-19-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
I hear on the news all the time about people meeting up through the internet. Well, I guess it is because a crime has been commited.
Old 04-19-08, 07:09 PM

Friend of mine met his Japanese wife through the Internet. They're a pretty happy couple from what I can tell!
Old 04-19-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and I met on Match.com over 4 years ago. Still happy and have a beautiful little girl!
Old 04-19-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tommyp007
My wife and I met on Match.com over 4 years ago. Still happy and have a beautiful little girl!
Did they find the little girl on Match.com as well?
Old 04-20-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ernestrp
I hear on the news all the time about people meeting up through the internet. Well, I guess it is because a crime has been commited.

Crime? I don't get it.
Old 04-20-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Crime? I don't get it.
I assume he means that there has yet to be a breakout story of someone killing someone they met through eharmony/match/whatever. Once that occurs, "intenet dating" will become the villian of the week and the pederasts on myspace will get a break.
Old 04-20-08, 01:25 PM

Crime? I don't get it.
He's referring to:

Old 04-20-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
Did they find the little girl on Match.com as well?
nope. FLDS.com
Old 04-20-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BigPete
I assume he means that there has yet to be a breakout story of someone killing someone they met through eharmony/match/whatever. Once that occurs, "intenet dating" will become the villian of the week and the pederasts on myspace will get a break.
At least one person has already been killed through Craigslist-- I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet with any of these sites.

My sis-in-law has met a ton of guys through Match.com. I don't think she's ever paid for a membership, and she's been at it for years (I guess with freebies, not sure).

My wife mentioned that eharmony is for "old people" and Match was for younger people. She was sort of joking about "old" (i.e. not really "old," but older than we are), but is there any truth to this (the age differences), or at least is this how they're marketed? I don't pay too much attention to these sites, so I really don't know.

edit: I just looked at each page (for the first time ever). Each page has a woman staring right back at you, and Match has a picture of a woman who looks at least 10 years younger than the woman on eharmony, so I'm guessing that's not a mistake.

Last edited by Dave7393; 04-20-08 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll tell my wife you said that (we met online).

Oddly, we were both on e-harmony a few years back, but never got matched up. Go figure.
Old 04-20-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I'm odd, remember. So, "odd" is a good thing. Especially for the DVD talk crowd, who are certainly not your average Americans.
Old 04-20-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave7393
At least one person has already been killed through Craigslist-- I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet with any of these sites.

My sis-in-law has met a ton of guys through Match.com. I don't think she's ever paid for a membership, and she's been at it for years (I guess with freebies, not sure).

My wife mentioned that eharmony is for "old people" and Match was for younger people. She was sort of joking about "old" (i.e. not really "old," but older than we are), but is there any truth to this (the age differences), or at least is this how they're marketed? I don't pay too much attention to these sites, so I really don't know.

edit: I just looked at each page (for the first time ever). Each page has a woman staring right back at you, and Match has a picture of a woman who looks at least 10 years younger than the woman on eharmony, so I'm guessing that's not a mistake.

I've posted this before but...

eharmony was created for people serious about finding a spouse and NOT just set up to get people laid. So that's probably why it seems like the eharmony folks are older. The guy who started EH, Neil Clark Warren is a "family values" type guy who's trying to build "strong happy marriages". Again, EH isn't about just getting people hooked up for fucking. That's why the process with them is more involved an digs deeper into your personality than say match.com or others. The tv ads for match.com make fun of this fact. This is also why they don't want "married and looking" folks and other still in relationships types. I think Gay groups came down on them too because they don't seem to want them joining. I guess in eh's "family values" thinking Gays aren't marriage material.

I was working in Christian Radio when Warren started EH and I remember his interviews on Focus on the Family with James Dobson.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-20-08 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I signed up with eHarmony a couple years ago and got the "we can't match you at this time" spiel. I was depressed after the end of a long term relationship, so I kind of understood. I tried some of the other sites, too, but it seemed like slim pickings for anybody I'd be interested in. It may just be my geographical location, but it's still a little frustrating.

I don't really feel like paying for any of these sites if I'm not confident I'll be able to meet up with anybody, which may be kind of a catch-22. Offering more free months for a service that doesn't work is hardly consolation, either.
Old 04-20-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Use code APR8ETLU for 3 months for $29.85
Old 04-20-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Again, EH isn't about just getting people hooked up for fucking.
I guess that's why my sis-in-law went with Match instead of EH.
Old 04-21-08, 03:23 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd say pony up and pay, you can't put a price on a chance to pee in somebody's butt
Old 04-21-08, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by BigPete
Use code APR8ETLU for 3 months for $29.85
Thanks for the code, but I guess that's only for previous subscribers.
Old 04-21-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you have some spare change, here's a guaranteed way to find your mate: http://davidwygant.com/dating-coach-bootcamp.html

But that will have to be $10,000 in spare change!
Old 04-21-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bdshort
Friend of mine met his Japanese wife through the Internet. They're a pretty happy couple from what I can tell!
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JpwamoXgb3U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JpwamoXgb3U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 04-21-08, 01:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I wonder if the world will ever be race neutral? Almost every time race is mentioned it seems superfluous to me.