Reload this Page >

Renewing magazine subscriptions

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-19-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a free subscription to a magazine last year, and it was only for a year, but I really like the magazine and want to renew the subscription.

So my question is if I was to subscribe to the magazine online like at amazon.com or deepdiscount.com, would that count as a renewal and I would continue to receive the magazine, or would it count as a new subscription since I am not going through the magazine directly and I might risk doubling up on an issue or two?

The subscription rate for a year from amazon.com: 12.00/1yr.
The renewal rate directly from the magazine (and on their website): 19.99/1yr.

I don't understand why these magazines just don't charge the same rate as they do at their site as they do on amazon.com.
Old 04-19-08, 10:41 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
First, check the thread in hot deals dedicated to free magazine subs. I get about 50 magazines a month, all free. My local hospital lobbies love me.

Second, check ebay. They tend to have the lowest prices and I've never had a problem with the sellers. YMMV of course.

Magazines subscriptions are cheap, or usually free, because their main revenue is from advertising. The more issues they mail out, the more than can charge advertisers.
Old 04-19-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I got 3 years of ESPN magazine for under $10 on ebay. That comes with espn insider free when you subscribe to the magazine. Every other magazine I subscribe to is free. I would like "money" for free but they never have subs.
Old 04-19-08, 01:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
I would like "money" for free
It's money for "nothing".
Old 04-19-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...and your chicks for free.
Old 04-19-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to the bargains suggestion, I found a place that renewed it for 3.99 for a year!
Old 04-21-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Second, check ebay. They tend to have the lowest prices and I've never had a problem with the sellers. YMMV of course.
"YMMV" is an understatement.

I've had nothing but problems lately, the last 3 (and the occasional before that) have resulted in plenty of headaches and no subscriptions. It seems like the well-established/highly rated mag sellers are the targets for hacked accounts.

I've given up on ebay for magazines.
Old 04-21-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Usually, if your name and address are the same, they will consider the new sub as a renewal... if not, it's pretty easy to contact the publisher to merge the accounts.