Reload this Page >

West Highland White Terrier Info?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-17-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are thinking of getting a West Highland White Terrier. We are planning on a puppy (I think they let us pick up at age=7 weeks)from a somewhat local breeder. Neither of us have owned a pure bred dog. Any owners have tips or information that we should know? Thanks.

P.S.
-This is a "Westie"

My wife found out about this breed because she saw it on the Cesar dog food commercial.
Old 04-17-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by C-Mart
My wife found out about this breed because she saw it on the Cesar dog food commercial.
A good source as any for determining an investment into a new member of the family.
Old 04-17-08, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
A good source as any for determining an investment into a new member of the family.
I agree. I'm just happy she doesn't want a "toy" or miniature dog of any kind. These guys can get to a decent size (12" is typical size for a male) and they are cute and don't shed very much. Personally I would like a Husky, but she doesn't want a big dog.

That gets me thinking... several years ago someone was talking about their new dog here in Other. It was something like a Husky, but I think it was smaller and was brown/red rather than grey. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? What breed was that?
Old 04-17-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That would be a "fox":

Old 04-17-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bus....
Old 04-17-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

.22 caliber should be plenty.
Old 04-17-08, 04:59 PM

I think this may be it:

Shiba Inu.

I'm not entirely positive though. I seem to remember they were smaller than that.

Bus - Nah, that looks more like a Pomaranian than a Husky!
Old 04-17-08, 05:45 PM

Westies are great dogs, but they're terriers. I grew up with one. Terriers are stubborn and extremely fiesty, and I wouldn't recommend getting one as your first dog.
Old 04-17-08, 06:04 PM

I love that little dog on the Cesar dog food commercial.
Old 04-17-08, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by KirstenS
Westies are great dogs, but they're terriers. I grew up with one. Terriers are stubborn and extremely fiesty, and I wouldn't recommend getting one as your first dog.
We've both had dogs before, just not pure bred dogs. I've had a silky terrier/chihuahua mix, a black lab, and for a short time we had a yellow lab and a rottweiller.
Old 04-17-08, 06:16 PM

Terriers are my favorite, favorite breed, they're cute and cuddly, easy dogs to feed. They'll help bring you up whenever you are down, terriers average 20 pounds.

But seriously, When I was little I really wanted a Westie, I'm not sure if I was allergic or if there were no good breeders around but I got a Mini Schnauzer instead.
Old 04-18-08, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by C-Mart
These guys can get to a decent size (12" is typical size for a male)
Didn't you say he was white?
Old 04-18-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by imperator505
Didn't you say he was white?
Ouch. lol
Old 04-18-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Short-hair fox terriers > dog-food commercial terriers
Old 04-18-08, 04:47 PM
mbs

I had a Cairn Terrier growing up, which is essentially a non-white Westie. He was stubborn, but still a great dog. A little on the small side and a little yappy, but there was never much shedding or hair all over the place, which is a plus.
Old 04-18-08, 06:44 PM

I had a Westie from the time I was six until she passed away when I was 23. She had a lot of energy and loved to go go go. As a breed they're nice because they're hypo-allergenic but one of their negatives is they love to kill small animals. Mine once snuck into my neighbors house and pulled the hamster cage of a shelf and tried to eat it. She also loved to chase big animals, I remember when she was about 8 or 9 years old, we were driving down the dirt road to our cottage doing about 15-20km an hour and she jumped out the open window to run and chase after a herd of cattle in a field next to the road. She had a whole crapload of cows running around terrified of her, it was awesome.
Old 04-19-08, 01:44 PM

I had a Westie growing up and she was a great dog. Hardly ever barked or growled, loved people, wasn't too wild, but did like playing. She was basically the best dog you could of hoped for.

Because she was such a good girl, it inspired a bunch of our friends to get Westies... bad decision. Of the 5 families we inspired to get one, 4 ended up with crazy ones that they regretted getting.

When my childhood dog passed away, my parents actually got another one to try and replace her. However, since none of us kids were home and my mom and dad wanted to go out a lot, they didn't get to raise her as well as the first dog, so she had some wild tendencies and issues with pottying in the house. They ended up giving up on her after only 6 months and giving her to a neighbor.

So they can be really good dogs, just make sure you can give them the attention they deserve.
Old 04-19-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My parents had a couple of Westies - yep, they are terriers, but they didn't really have quite as much of the terrier "stubbornness" as some other terrier breeds we'd also had in the past. Very intelligent and trainable. They were also relatively low-maintenance in terms of grooming needs.

But they are terriers, so they are interested in searching for/barking at/killing things for you. So maybe not a good choice for homes with hamsters and such.
Old 04-21-08, 08:59 AM

Thank you for all the info. We'll definately take it into account before we take the plunge.
Old 04-29-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Westie now and I can concur with the stubbornness comments, but he's very smart (doesn't everyone say that about their dog?) and he's fiercely loyal. One thing I would recommend is that you obstruct window views from his for my dog loves the window and barks every time a squirrel, neighborhood cat, or other dog walks by. I can say that if I decide to get another dog after mine passes, it will be another Westie.
Old 04-29-08, 12:38 PM

My wife and I have a Cairn Terrier, almost identical to a Westie. He is great dog for us. I echo many of the above comments. He is very energetic, loud as he barks at everything, pretty low maintenance for grooming, great with kids, very loyal. Even after all the training he will just go if he sees something he wants and it is bitch to track him down. I would defintely not let off a leash. He really is great dog and I would imagine a Westie would be about the same.