Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What were you doing ten years ago? + Bonus Topic: One thing you'd tell yourself then

Other Talk "Otterville"

What were you doing ten years ago? + Bonus Topic: One thing you'd tell yourself then

Old 04-11-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-11-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ten years ago I'd just started working for a police dept. I would have told myself to find another job, because even though my boss was changed every year or two, they kept getting worse. No way I would have stayed there that long.

I also would have handled some friendships differently... worked harder at some, and let some go before they got impossible.

Oh, and I would have told myself to be brave and move to CA already. That's about the time I started thinking about it, but I dawdled for a few years, then was in a serious car accident that took another five years to recover from.
Old 04-11-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Ten years ago I was 1.5 years into my 2 year stay in NYC. I moved out their to join a band, which was pretty much dormant the whole time.

Tough call on what I would tell myself them - probably "don't do anything differently". Sometimes I regret leaving, but events since them confirmed I made the right decision. I was 23 then.
Old 04-11-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We were living in a spacious apartment and it was quite affordable, just toiling away in office jobs and enjoying the hell out of ourselves at night and on weekends. We played games, watched movies, hung out with my brother all the time.

What would I tell myself?

1. Warn my brother to never ever ever ever sleep with this one bitch. Just run. Run fast.

2. Buy a house instead of moving to an apartment that cost twice as much in rent as the place we were at then.

3. Oh and not to buy 2 new cars the following year.
Old 04-11-08, 07:39 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
I'd just gotten a new job, doing research at a very large state university. I would have told myself not to stay at that job for another six and a half years, but instead look for something that didn't make me as soul-crushingly miserable.
Old 04-11-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ten years ago i was in high school, getting ready to go to college. probably checking out the campuses of the different colleges that i got into as well.
Old 04-11-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
10 years ago, I was 20. Still living at home with my mom and still a single, lonely virgin. I was about a month away from meeting my (future ex)-girlfriend. I was working for the same company I'm with now but still part-time.
Old 04-11-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sadly, pretty much the same thing. I was working the same job, and living in the same place. Not much has changed in 10 years. Lost a little weight, lost more than a little hair, got a new car, got a great dog...and of course built up a healthy DVD collection.

I guess if today me could say anything to me then it would be save more money so I could put money down on a nice house at this point. Or invest in a ROTH IRA.
Old 04-11-08, 10:46 PM

I was about 4 months into a job that I stayed in for about 7 years, hating most of those years.

I think the only thing I'd tell myself is to stop spending all your freaking money!
Old 04-11-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

10 year ago, I was finishing up my 1st year of college.

I would tell my past self to switch majors faster, buckle down and finish school, and finally muster up the courage to track down the hottie that was in my class the previous semester and ask her out.
Old 04-12-08, 03:03 AM

10 years ago i was married to my ex-husband and my daughter was 8,i was divorced in 2001 but had asked him to leave in the fall of 2000.

i would have told myself not to stay in that marriage nearly as long as i did,that I WAS able to make it on my own and a happier life was out there waiting for me.
Old 04-12-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was finishing my junior year of high school, a month away from starting my first job(still there, but it's only my part-time management job now). I was having fun, but looking back, it could have been better.

1. Get out there and do more. Enjoy it while you can, and don't go the next 5.5 years without going on a single date or even talking to another girl...

2. Save money, don't blow it all on car audio systems and hundreds of video games and systems, because in 2008 you're going to look at the wall of video games and realize you haven't even played one in 10 months.

3. Try out for the football team, and don't quit baseball. Just because you transferred to a new high school full of local stars doesn't mean you can't keep playing. I'm 26, and I regret that decision, I have a daily urge to play baseball...
Old 04-12-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KingSmoth
3. Try out for the football team, and don't quit baseball. Just because you transferred to a new high school full of local stars doesn't mean you can't keep playing. I'm 26, and I regret that decision, I have a daily urge to play baseball...
Adult leagues. I play pickup volleyball at my gym now every Thursday night. It's a lot of fun.
Old 04-12-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was a junior in high school, probably getting stoned. I would tell myself to go straight to college. Don't take time off because you think you need it.
Old 04-12-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

10 years ago, I was 16. Just had my permit, was smoking too much weed, and drinking too much. I was just about to start dating this psycho goth chick. Advice to myself would be to pay more attention in school. That would be it. The psycho goth girl was a disaster, but she was hot, the sex was worth it.

Edit: Fixed typo.

Last edited by dieinafire; 04-12-08 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-12-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was doing to exact same thing I am now: working retail in this barren wasteland of rural New York.

If I could go back? I'd tell myself to get it over with.
Old 04-12-08, 04:47 PM

10 years ago I was 18 and starting college as well as beginning the long term relationship with my ex-wife.

I would tell myself to not get in such a serious relationship at that age to avoid the heartache she put me through last year.
Old 04-12-08, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Get a divorce now before the money you get soon that "your" hard work has earned you becomes something you owe her, because the guy almost ALWAYS gets screwed.
Old 04-12-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts
Ten years ago I had just gotten a good job transfer and was looking for my first house.

I'd tell me that I knew that the previous 15 years had been awful, but things were getting a lot better.
Old 04-12-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ten years ago I was married to a complete ass hole and had two babies. We were living just above the beach in San Clemente just getting by.

I would have told myself to get out of that marriage much sooner.
Old 04-12-08, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by melbatoast
Ten years ago I was married to a complete ass hole and had two babies. We were living just above the beach in San Clemente just getting by.

I would have told myself to get out of that marriage much sooner.
What, what? You are married to better guy now, right?

Something about going with 2 babies, seems to say you had some care for that guy.

(FWIW, I went the divorce route about 8 years ago, and re-married)

Last edited by The Cow; 04-12-08 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-12-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd tell myself to start college right after graduating high school, because 1 semester off turns to 7 years pretty fast.
Old 04-13-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was 16. Junior in high school. I'd definitely have told myself that when you meet a girl named Jessica Fry, DO NOT SLEEP WITH HER.

= J
Old 04-13-08, 10:31 AM

I was just about to graduate high school and was a dateless virgin thinking everything would change once I got to college (in engineering). My advice: Skip the engineering, go to social functions, and don't confuse sex with love.
Old 04-13-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
What, what? You are married to better guy now, right?

Something about going with 2 babies, seems to say you had some care for that guy.

(FWIW, I went the divorce route about 8 years ago, and re-married)
Her current husband is a weasel.

Naw, I met them. He's a good guy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.