Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What makes you successful?

Other Talk "Otterville"

What makes you successful?

Old 04-11-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"To be satisfied with a little, is the greatest wisdom; and he that increaseth his riches, increaseth his cares; but a contented mind is a hidden treasure, and trouble findeth it not." - Akhenaton

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." - Henry David Thoreau

"Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." - Lao Tzu

"I have now reigned about 50 years in victory or peace, beloved by my subjects, dreaded by my enemies, and respected by my allies. Riches and honors, power and pleasure, have waited on my call, nor does any earthly blessing appear to have been wanting to my felicity. In this situation, I have diligently numbered the days of pure and genuine happiness which have fallen to my lot. They amount to fourteen." - Abd Er-Rahman III of Spain

"Not what we have, but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." - Epicurus

"Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast, and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has ordained that you shall live." - Marcus Aurelius

"Happiness is the absence of the striving for happiness." - Chuang Tzu

"Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive." - Andrew Grove
Old 04-11-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
"for a kid lookin' up to me, life ain't nuthin' but bitches and money!" - Ice Cube
Old 04-11-08, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cause I got the Top Bunk biatches!
Old 04-12-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
You won't know the answer until you rub it.

Then comb the back hair.
When I was working at a spa years ago there was this client that came in with (kid you not) 5 inch long back hair from his neck down to his butt (and I'm pretty sure it went further but he was thankfully covered) and from arm to arm. I think he was a relative of mammoths. Try massaging that shit! *shudder*
Old 04-13-08, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now <i>that's</i> success.

= J
Old 04-13-08, 08:43 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I drive to the bus daily..I hear people talk..er, I mean gripe about their lives, jobs etc..I measure THAT...I'm in a situation where employees tell me their personal shit..I measure THAT as well...oh, and I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and actually seen a grown man ASKING his wife if he could get a pair of sunglasses cuz they were ony $5 and a watch for $10, and then heard her rag him over it...yes, I'm pretty darn successful...and EXTREMELY luck I am no longer married! LOL!
Old 04-13-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can consider myself successful because I have a good, stable job. I live in a great area, with all types of good stuff around. I am not married, and have no intention of even thinking of that for years. I am 26 now, so I have been living on my own, and paying my bills for 7 years now, and I can afford my lifestyle. I have a good relationship with my whole family, and great friends. When I sometimes complain that I wish I made more money, I can remember that I already make way more than the average American, and will only do better, and I am a pretty sharp guy. I take pride in being smart now, I have learned a lot since I was 18.
Old 04-13-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by kvrdave
My back hair. I think it's enchanted.
Must be nice.

Old 04-13-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think I'm successful for many reasons. First and foremost, my wife and kids. My 3 1/2 year-old knows how to act in public. People compliment us on his behavior all the time. I own a nice home in a good neighborhood. I was unhappy in my career, and did what I had to do to change it. Now I'm happy at work. I have tons of friends who all like and respect me. I have a good reputation professionally. People know they can depend on me. That makes me happy.

Could things be better? YES! There's still a lot that can be improved upon. But I measure success in terms of happiness and fulfillment. And I'm very happy, in general.

Plus, I'm wicked good-looking.