Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Date Advice - A town with nothing to do...

Old 04-09-08, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Date Advice - A town with nothing to do...

Last weekend, I worked in another store to help them out. While there, I had a lot of time to walk around and talk to people that worked at that store...met a girl that I hit it off with quite well, ended up asking her out and she was very interested. We've talked on the phone a few times this week. We're going out on Thursday (we're both off). She lives about 20 minutes from me, so I figure I'd go out there.

The thing about the town she lives in is that there is nothing to do (short of going to a movie, which I'd rather not do on a first date, or a bowling alley, which just isn't what I'd like to do either). So far, I've got that I show up with some flowers...maybe we go for a walk downtown...of course eat somewhere. However, I'd like to get a bit more creative for this girl. While talking to her, I know that she likes art and she likes music (although I'm pretty sure this crappy town doesn't have any type of art exhibits or music shows going on).

What kind of things can I do in a town that seeming has...nothing to do?

Any creative ideas? Money isn't really an issue, so fire away.

= J

Last edited by Tarantino; 04-09-08 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-09-08, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Showing up with flowers on a first date with girl you just met ?? does she live in 1950 ?
Old 04-09-08, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it'd be nice.

No flowers?

= J
Old 04-09-08, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What'd she do to deserve flowers besides have pants that you want to get into ??

First date...something casual. Your just seeing it theres anything there to warrant a REAL date... if she's easy and you get lucky then Bonus !!!
Old 04-09-08, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Butt + Pee = Good Date

Seriously I'd vote for no flowers either. Not on a first date at least.

I know you've kind of decided to stay in her neck of the woods but why not bring her back to your area since its only 20 minutes away? I'm sure there are plenty of restaurants she's not familiar with so the newness would score you points, and it sounds like you would have more options you're comfortable with. It might impress her because you're willing to go through the trouble for her.
Old 04-09-08, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If money's really not an issue, establish an art gallery in her town, take her to the grand opening and book her favorite band to play the event. Greater things have been accomplished in 36 hours. It'll definitely make a better impression than flowers.
Old 04-09-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My two cents: ditch the flowers, are you picking her up for prom? Although, if she seems like an old-fashioned type then I guess showing up with flowers for her and her chaperon would be a nice idea.
As for what to do, you could always take a walk in the park or lounge on the grass and eat sushi, artistic types seem to like that, it is like a half-assed picnic, no basket or home cooked food, but sushi is always a plus. Or you could drive to an art gallery.
Old 04-09-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bring her back to your town and do something. Then make up an excuse at the end of the night that gas prices are too high and that she might as well stay the night with you. cha-chinggggggg
Old 04-09-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

+1 on ditching the flowers. Save that for a couple dates down the road.
Old 04-09-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just do the opposite of everything I did: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=528816. Put forth little to no effort, be flaky, etc. Oh, and the flowers is a horrid idea....you need to keep your expectations LOW!

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 04-09-08 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-09-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No flowers.
No flowers.
No flowers.
Old 04-09-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dude, no flowers. Unless you're both gardeners or something. I wouldn't do it.

The thing is, a boring town is probably the best test of whether you get along with someone. The right person will make a walk through a supermarket exciting. An unexciting date will make the concert of your favorite artist boring.

Both of the above examples come from personal experience.

And no flowers. Even I know that much.
Old 04-09-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hang out in her town - she will be so embarrassed that there is nothing to do in her town, and worried that YOU will not have a good time - that she may give you a little treat at the end of the night to spice thing up
Old 04-09-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If the town is boring enough, you may end up almost being arrested.
Old 04-09-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. Hint taken. No flowers.

There's a minor league baseball game going on that night one city over. Maybe we'll do that.

= J
Old 04-09-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You have a Goofy Golf place around there? I always found it to be a good place, breaks the ice, fun, not too serious, always entertaining.
Old 04-09-08, 09:26 AM

No. Flowers.

Just ask her what she wants to do. It's her town, you don't know it. It sounds like you're trying to impress her with your creativity. You have plenty of time to do that later, if you do well at first.

You want to impress her? Ask her want she wants to do. Then do it. You asking for her opinion and going with it is going to get you points, for sure.
Old 04-09-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is always something to do

Old 04-09-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, nothing to do? Don't you live in LA?
Old 04-09-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why dont you meat her some place cool.
Old 04-09-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

"Meat" her...
Old 04-09-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It isn't very pretty what a town without pity can do.
Old 04-09-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get the whole reluctance to bring flowers. You don't need a dozen roses... just pick up a single carnation, and you already score big. What is the harm in that? I just don't get you people...

Not sure about the baseball game. That's sports -- always a dicey proposition. You need someplace that you both can hang out and drink... hmm. Do you have any friends at this other store? Could you maybe twist their arm and pay for their beer and get them to host a party? Make it seem like it's completely independent of your date -- just say you're going to be in town and you thought it would be cool to hang, then you can take this girl to dinner and go to the party afterwards. Some dancing, some drinks, have a fun time, make a few moves...

WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!
Old 04-09-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stockton? Modesto? Fresno?

Yup, nuthin to do... Go to a video store ( ) and make it a "blockbuster" night.

oh, and nothing against bringing a single flower, but avoid a carnation! Then again, this is the central valley right? Flowers would be dependent on how much a serious relationship potential there is based on the first meeting. From what you told us of how you met, I vote no flowers, but its up to you.
Old 04-09-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm in a small town and grew up in a small town. Back when I use to date in the town (back in high school), we use to play tennis, hike, and engage is oral sex. I generally voted for the oral sex.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.