Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Check the bottom of that shopping cart - or else!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Check the bottom of that shopping cart - or else!

Old 04-08-08, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the bottom of that shopping cart - UPDATE (see post #55)

Yikes! A bit of an overreaction on the part of the store?

Being so distracted with the rest of my groceries, frequent shopper cards, coupons, etc., there have only been a copule of times when I forgot to tell the cashier to ring up a case of pop or water tucked away underneath my cart (and he or she never checked under the cart either). Fortunately, I always realized it right before I left the line and just had them ring it up separately before I left the store.

I usually don't use the self check-outs unless I have only one or two items.

Anyway, here's the story on one such incident:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/15822092/detail.html

Last edited by davejt1; 04-10-08 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-08-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
My Super Target has mirrors mounted on the sides of all check out lanes so the cashiers can see the bottom of the cart. Problem solved by technology.

EDIT: I see the story is about a guy who used self checkout. I thought the store had to have employees monitoring that at all times.

Either way, once the name of store gets out I'm sure the backlash will be swift and they happily do what they can to rectify the situation.

You don't arrest someone who just spent $150 on groceries when they forget to pay for a case of soda - that's just fucking stupid.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 04-08-08 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-08-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davejt1
Anyway, here's the story on one such incident:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/15822092/detail.html
Seems very harsh for what probably was a simple mistake.

I don't think I've ever used that bottom shelf for anything.
Old 04-08-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The video shows it was a Giant Eagle store. OH shoppers beware!
Old 04-08-08, 02:20 PM
Suspended

I love analogies. It's like robbing a bank. Of course, I unintentionally rob banks all the time.
Old 04-08-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A bunch of idiots, the lot of them.

It is one thing if he bought a candy bar and tried to walk about with a case of soda under his arm, but $150 worth of groceries most likely obscured his view.
Old 04-08-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo

You don't arrest someone who just spent $150 on groceries when they forget to pay for a case of soda - that's just fucking stupid.
Exactly. Some rent-a-cop flexing their ego and goes off on some power-trip. Way to go douchebag.
Old 04-08-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Usually self-checkout lines have a limit of 15 items...probably to lower the risk of a mistake like this, and to keep them moving. Maybe he'll learn his lesson.... heh, jk. He still should've gone thru the regular line though...
Old 04-08-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree - If he put cartons of cigarettes, cases of beer / liquor, or $$ items down there, then I would say they are up to something - but Soda (come on)
Old 04-08-08, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2 carts full of groceries through a self checkout?
Old 04-08-08, 02:39 PM

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Brooklyn Ohio.
Old 04-08-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
Someone at the Raley's (Northern California grocery chain) by my house went to a self checkout with 3 carts once. More power to them. Just glad I wasn't behind them.. it was the middle of a Sunday afternoon, so needless to say next time I went in there they had signs posting a 10-item limit.
Old 04-08-08, 02:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Seriously. Especially when you consider that, since it was self checkout, if he truly intended to rip the store off for 4 bucks he could have easily put a 4 dollar item at the bottom of one of his shopping bags after pretending to scan it and piled stuff he actually did pay for on top of it.
Old 04-08-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The self checkouts around here allow all the items you want. One or two are usually labeled for 15 or less.

I can't remember exactly, but I thought I remember reading an article that said stores can't force you to go through their inspection process at the door like Bestbuy and others do. I think they said Costco could because it's in their membership TOS, but for other stores they have no right to confront you unless they have some sort of probable cause...and even then they need to call the cops to have them search you/inspect your receipt/etc.

Although I think it's stupid, in court he technically stole something, I wonder if he could beat it by saying they had no right to confront him and look at his purchases and receipt?
Old 04-08-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeeden
The self checkouts around here allow all the items you want. One or two are usually labeled for 15 or less.

I can't remember exactly, but I thought I remember reading an article that said stores can't force you to go through their inspection process at the door like Bestbuy and others do. I think they said Costco could because it's in their membership TOS, but for other stores they have no right to confront you unless they have some sort of probable cause...and even then they need to call the cops to have them search you/inspect your receipt/etc.

Although I think it's stupid, in court he technically stole something, I wonder if he could beat it by saying they had no right to confront him and look at his purchases and receipt?
The rent-a-cop probably thought the dude was pulling a scam since it can tell when you put an item in the bag without scanning it. He probably thought the guy spent all that many to creative a diversion so he'd never have to take the soda out of the bottom of the basket.
Old 04-08-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is correct. (Well, mostly. Costco can't, either) They are detaining you on suspicion of shoplifting. Well since most people DON'T shoplift, it amounts to false imprisonment. Most people don't give a crap and voluntarily submit to it. But they cannot FORCE you to stop and show your receipt because if you (like most people) didn't steal anything, you could bring charges against them for it.
Old 04-08-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Cow
IMHO, self checkouts are great if you have a few items and are in a hurry. But if you have a lot of items, it SUCKS. Unlike the cashier's register, the self checkout computers are slow as FUCK. you scan an item, it takes a few seconds to register, then waits for you to put it in the bag. If you don't bag it, you have to press a button. If you skipping bagging too many items, the self checkout monitor person has to come over and enter an override code. Seriously, I've spent ten minutes at a self checkout line with a basket full of groceries. The same basket would have taken a few minutes in a regular line.
Old 04-08-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding his use of self checkout, check the time of the incident.

It says he was brought to the station around 11:30pm. That means he was in store later at night. Probably one cashier only, and if it's anything like my grocery store, they're either swamped because of understaffing, or nowhere to be found because they have to face shelves when they're not busy on the night shift.

I can totally see using self checkout at that time of night.
Old 04-08-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been in stores late at night and they only have self checkout lines open.
Old 04-08-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have done this before in a normal checkout lane, kids causing a distraction, coupons, store card, credit card, trying to watch the prices as things scan (I am surprised at how often things ring up a different prices than they should), etc, etc - It is easy to forget that soda or water on the bottom rack or easy to assume the cashier got it because the cart goes behind the cashier while the customer goes on the other side of the counter.

At a self checkout though, he had to see it unless the bottom of the cart was solid, as he removed other items, the soda on the bottom would be in plain view.

Still silly to arrest him, make him pay and move on. I hate the 0 tolerance world
Old 04-08-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw a lady at Wal Mart one night checking out with a big igloo cooler. The person watching the self service check out lanes went to check out the inside of the cooler and the people got all pissy. It turns out it was stuffed with clothes and other things. I asked the cashier after the lady was gone if that happen often she said it does all the time. Gotta love people who try to steal.
Old 04-08-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bet this is dismissed at first call when he shows up for his arraignment. If not, I would sue the store for tons of money. Emotional distress would be easy to prove here.
Old 04-08-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
That's a pretty stupid thing for a cop to arrest someone for. It must have been a slow night for him.
Old 04-08-08, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mndtrp
That's a pretty stupid thing for a cop to arrest someone for. It must have been a slow night for him.
Or the guy gave the cop lip or the guy has done it in the past. I can't see a cop going through all that trouble for $4 worth of soda unless he had a reason. Otherwise, just let the guy go back and pay for it.

Besides, when was the last time anyone decided to check your groceries at a store exit? I've never had it happen, even with just a few things.

Then again, I've also never been checked at Bestbuy, Costco, or any of those stores, and I buy things from those stores all the time.
Old 04-08-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matta
Or the guy gave the cop lip or the guy has done it in the past. I can't see a cop going through all that trouble for $4 worth of soda unless he had a reason.
Reason: He's a douche bag.

The simple solution to this would have been this scenario:

Rent-a-cop: Can I see your receipt?
Guy: No, thanks. I'm good.

I do this literally every time I'm asked to show a receipt (I don't shop at any membership places) and I've never had a problem. I'm not a shoplifter, therefore complying with his dumb request is a waste of time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.