Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Any English majors or hiring managers? need help with resume.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-31-08, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really need some help here. From what I read, it seems like the general rule is to keep everything in the same tense (ie. use present tense for current work experience and past tense for past jobs, etc)
Well, I'm currently stuck with this particular part in my resume. My current job:

Case Manager
- Lead uninsured and underinsured patients through the process of applying for retroactive Medicaid benefits to allow for hospital recovery of revenue
-Manage a daily changing caseload of approximately 200 patients, handling accounts from several major hospitals
- Analyze the legitimacy of Medicaid denials and represent the patient in the case of an appeal
- Seek and obtain the necessary financial and medical documents when a patient is unable or unwilling
- Oversee all client communication in absence of supervisor
- Secured reimbursement for high dollar accounts ranging from $50,000 - $300,000

The last point I'm trying to emphasize is that it's not the norm and I consider it a personal achievement though it's my only one, hence I didn't want to put it as a separate subheading on my resume. To me, by putting it into present tense "secure" seems to lessen the effect and that it's just part of the job and not something achieved. Agree? Disagree? Anyone with suggestions on that particular part or anywhere else on my resume?

Here's the remainder of my resume:

Senior Bartender
- Trained all newly hired bartenders
- Maintained bar inventory and placed orders for resupply
- Observed and helped prevent employee theft
- Supervised setup and operation of weekend satellite bar

Mortgage Loan Processor
- Organized training manual to instruct lenders on the details of government lending
Solved procedural problems and answered policy questions from company personnel and bank customers

Seriously, I appreciate anyone's suggestion. My current job is already being interviewed for so I'm stressed out about finding a new one.
Old 03-31-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you should look into a resume building site. Just use Google and I'm sure you'll find something. Then, post it here (removing any info that you don't want us weirdos to see) and we can help you from there. I wish you luck.
Old 03-31-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tense is fine, it's the singular/plural which confuses me (I am a hiring manager). Was it one reimbursement, or several? If several (which I think must be correct), then you obviously need to add an "s" to reimbursement, and that would be fine. I might also add "Personally" to the beginning of the sentence, if you did it alone.