Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Have to wait for your car while getting it fixed at the dealer?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-31-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking your car to the dealer and told you'll have a long wait? Don't worry, I did something today that basically set fire under the dealership's ass, and I didn't even intend to do such a thing.

That's right...I had an appointment today for 10am to have my car worked on. When I set the appointment, I was told that I would only be waiting for about an hour and a half. When I got there today, they told me it would be two or three hours before they even pulled my car into the back.

I did let them know that I was unhappy about this, but there wasn't much I could do.

However, prior to going today, I grabbed a cigar and my AM/FM radio so I could sit outside the dealership and listen to Rush while enjoying a fine cigar. I keep 2 of those folding chairs in my car, the kind that fold up into a nylon tube and you can toss over your back. My intent was to find a shady spot and wait it out.

However, this am it was a tad cool and breezy in the shade. So I went to find a patch of sun. I found a perfect spot at the front of the dealership, out where their fanciest new cars are displayed. I opened up my chair, kicked my feet up onto a little wall next to their cars, lit my cigar, and turned on my radio just loud enough for me to hear it.

Several car salesmen came by and said hello, but I quickly realized they didn't know what to make of my camping there. I was facing the building, and after about 10 minutes, I could see a group of salesmen talking to someone who I assumed was an authority figure, as they were talking to him and pointing out the window at me.

He rushed out and asked what I was doing. I told him that I didn't just walk by and decide to camp their sales area...but that my car was being serviced and I had to wait it out. I told him that I bought my car at that very dealer. He was very nice and told me I was fine where I was, and that there was no problem at all. However, my car was finished about 30 minutes later.

I'm confident bossman went in and made a call to get my car finished so I wasn't camping their sales area.

Anyway, just an FYI if you find yourself in a similar situation. I didn't intend to get such a result, but I'll do it everytime now.
Old 03-31-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I drop it off in the morning and come back to get it at the end of the day. I never saw the appeal of waiting.
Old 03-31-08, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I drop it off in the morning and come back to get it at the end of the day. I never saw the appeal of waiting.
There is no appeal of waiting. However, as you likely know there isn't always a choice, or in my situation today, it is more trouble for me to drop it off and get it later than to wait out what I was quoted, that being 1.5 hours.
Old 03-31-08, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully they didn't half-ass your car to get it out quickly.

I just get a complementary car from the dealership.
Old 03-31-08, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by matta
Hopefully they didn't half-ass your car to get it out quickly.

I just get a complementary car from the dealership.

I didn't even think of a complimentary car. I guess I assumed that since my newer ride is American, the chances of me getting a loaner were slim, since there are so few frills with American cars.

As for the half-ass, I'm missing a piece on my luggage rack that must have fallen off somewhere along the way. All they did today was look at my luggage rack to see if there was a broken part and then order it. Probably took a mechanic 5 minutes. They'll have the part in later in the week, at which point I'll do it The Bus way and leave and come back later, or the matta way, and get a loaner.

However, I did like the fact that my camping seemed to stimulate some action.
Old 03-31-08, 07:26 PM
Banned

Why didn't you get a loaner/complimenatry/courtesy car?
Old 03-31-08, 07:28 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Just think what you would have got if you had pretended to give yourself an insulin injection!
Old 03-31-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I am listening to Rush right now and just popped open this thread. Spooky. ("Digital Man" is currently playing).

I bought my car from a deal about 3 minutes from my office. I never wait - I just get a ride from someone at the office or I take their shuttle service. If I do have to wait, they have wi-fi and I have a laptop.
Old 03-31-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 278 Likes on 200 Posts
This is what happens.. when you blast Caress of Steel.

Didacts and narpets is/was/always will be a deal breaker.
Old 03-31-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
I think it would be funny if the dealership kept your car longer and let you sit out there for 4 hours.
Old 03-31-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get a ride home and a ride back from them
Old 03-31-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you had remembered to bring your trashcan you would have been golden!
Old 03-31-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I work about a block away from my mechanic so I drop it off first thing in the morning and walk over to pick it up on my lunch hour.
Old 03-31-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You should have gone into the lobby while they are talking with prospective buyers, pulled down your pants and have sex with one of their tables. I bet your car would have been done even quicker.
Old 03-31-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X
Just think what you would have got if you had pretended to give yourself an insulin injection!

I only live a few blocks from my mechanic and dealership. so it's not a hassle to just walk back and forth.
Old 04-01-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is a good idea. Next time bring a lunch of some stinky ass cheese, take your shoes off etc.

This would be a good idea for a Doctor's office - where they make you wait 4-evr
Old 04-01-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I used to just take my car to a place next to a bar. Now, my mechanic is only a few blocks from where I live.

Sunbathing would be an interesting option to the op's plan, though.
Old 04-01-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 338 Likes on 215 Posts
ukywyldcat you rock That was great.

After 15 mins it would have been time to gather some wood or old tires and start yourself a camp fire.
Old 04-02-08, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

my dealership offers a complimentary shuttle service and i usually have them drop me off at the multiplex (after loading up on the free munchies & drinks in the waiting area). Every once in a while i get lucky and they give me a loaner car - last time, i got a TL.
Old 04-02-08, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 202 Likes on 140 Posts
I wonder if it was the cigar or the Rush. Probably the Rush - that's what'd set me off the most...
Old 04-02-08, 04:52 PM

I could have done shuttle...could have requested a loaner...whatever. It was just supposed to be 1.5 hours of my time at the max, which is plenty of time to enjoy the sun, smoke a cigar, and listen to Rush for a bit.

Wouldn't have minded waiting longer had I known, that way I could have brought another cigar.