Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

School me on prescription sunglasses (Oakley?)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-25-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several years ago, I bought a pair of prescription sunglasses. Worse mistake I ever made. They used glass lenses, which were half an inch thick, they were heavy, ugly, lens tint was horrible, overall I just didn't like them.

Well I've been thinking about trying it, again, but this time with a little more information under my belt. I've heard many good things about Oakley's prescription lenses, especially their tinted lenses. Has anyone ever owned a pair of Oakley prescription sunglasses? What did you think?

What about any other prescription sunglasses? Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Old 03-25-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have used those but last few years just switched to the clip/magnetic ones as they are cheaper. Didn't even know you could get Oakley's in a perscription.
Old 03-25-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Many, if not most, optometrist's offices cut their lenses in house. Most can take any frame and put perscription lenses in it. Even if they can't match an exant tint on the lenses, they usually have an outside vendor they can send them to to put the lenses in.
Old 03-25-08, 11:57 PM
Cool New Member

I have prescription serengeti (on my 3rd set in 10 years) for driving and freakin love em but they did take 6 weeks to come in and were about 500 bucks

I also have a pair of Bolle (I think traverse model) for fishing and out on the boat they are polarized-- prescription around 400 bucks and 3 weeks to come in.

Well worth the bucks to get a good set..
Old 03-26-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn. I was thinking about this, but after those prices, I'll stick with my non-prescription ones.
Old 03-26-08, 12:21 AM

I was just thinking about this too...but I have a vision plan at work and wonder if it will help with the cost.

Are there any good websites to look into?
Old 03-26-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got prescription sunglasses at Costco for $120.
Old 03-26-08, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
I got prescription sunglasses at Costco for $120.
That don't make you look like a tool?
Old 03-26-08, 12:42 AM
Cool New Member

Price goes up or down according to your prescription.
some can get expensive but well worth the price.
Old 03-26-08, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
That don't make you look like a tool?
Yap. They have normal shades. You can put colored lenses into any of the normal frames too.
Old 03-26-08, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by heimerSWT

Are there any good websites to look into?
That's what I'm wondering....

A couple years ago I went for an eye exam, and I was just going to get a pair of glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses like I did the time before. Lady tells me to just get transition lenses. Well, thinking nothing of it (and being in college at the same, saving me a couple hundred) I said okay. Let me say the main reason I get prescription sunglasses to wear when I'm driving. Problem is, transition lenses don't go dark when you're in the car. I've pretty much hated them since the first week I've had them.
Old 03-26-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I bought my last set of glasses about 15 months ago I got the kind that comes with a clip made for it from Sam's Club Optical. They hook magnetically behind the bridge between the eyes and you push the bridge up while the sunglasses lenses are in front. It doesn't work very well and is hard to connect properly without taking the glasses off. I would advise if you go that route, consider the way they connect and how easily it is to clip them on and off.

I'm still on the fence. I'll be getting a new pair (thanks to the ones I own having the finish scratching off and such) soon. I can't decide if I want to get another set of different glasses that clip better, or get a set at someplace like a Pearle Vision that has the occasional Buy1 set get another set free and getting seperate glasses and rx sunglasses.

My original plan was to get contacts and use regular sunglasses when needed, but that didn't work out. There's only one contact lens that's my rx and it's not as clear as glasses and while I get used to it, they dry out after a long time in the eye 12 hours and by 7/8/9pm they are too dry to wear; they get cloudy a little and I gotta blink a lot and they just feel a little sticky.

Can't decide which to do still, new set of glasses/sunglass clip or two pairs. I think I'll go for another set of glasses/clip the more I think about it.
Old 03-26-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep an eye on ads for Lens Crafters and Hour Eyes -- they often have buy-one-get-one or second-pair-half-off sales that include sunglasses.
Old 03-26-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought a pair of Oakley prescription lenses when I was in middle school, they were about $350 or so at the time. Came with regular and prescription lenses that could be popped in and out of the frames (although I imagine that will depend on the type of frame), polarized, tinted, etc, basically all the standard bells & whistles.

I'm pretty happy with them, they've taken some abuse in Alaska, the Galapagos, Arizona, various beaches, etc, and still look pretty solid. They're almost 10 years old at this point.
Old 03-26-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zoom1200
I have prescription serengeti (on my 3rd set in 10 years) for driving and freakin love em but they did take 6 weeks to come in and were about 500 bucks
Johnny Cage? Is that you?
Old 03-26-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get the best of both worlds. Contact lenses and regular sunglasses for the day and regular prescription glasses for the night.
Old 03-26-08, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3
Get the best of both worlds. Contact lenses and regular sunglasses for the day and regular prescription glasses for the night.
+1 I agree with Raul3. That's what I do.
Old 03-26-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's what I do the majority of the time. But there are days when my eyes are tired and I can't wear my contacts, or I've had them in too long and need to let my eyes rest.