Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Smoke breaks

Old 03-25-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke breaks

Spinning off the smoking ban thread...this is a thought I've kicked around from time to time to post here to get some feedback...

I am not going to argue against smoke breaks, for one. I know there are non smokers who are infuriated that smokers seem to get extra break times over non smokers (and they do), but if you are a non smoker, do you have an equal right to take your own extra breaks?

I decided to start doing this at work. I take a "fresh air/walking" break. A time or two during the day I will go outside and take a walk around the block. I am not gone more than 10-15 minutes at a time if I do go, but I decided to start doing this because there are smokers where I work that are almost continually outside smoking. (A mother/daughter team too...[and, no, they are NOT HOT] and the funny thing about them is one of them will get up to go outside first then the other one will get up like a minute later, as if they think they are fooling everybody else in making them think they are NOT taking smoke breaks together all the time!).

Thankfully I worked in a pretty relaxed work environment and the boss is fine with people taking an extra break here and there as long as they don't abuse it and get their work done. But I was wondering if other people have different experiences at work? Most places of work want their employees to be healthy (or at least healthier) and I think that more places of would should take healthier breaks like go out for a walk or something like that as long as they allow people to do unhealthy things on the clock like smoke.

(And yes, this is on the clock...the smokers don't clock out for their numerous smoke breaks so I don't feel compelled to clock out for my fresh air break, if somebody was wondering. Even if I did, it would still be a paid break because it's under 30 minutes that I am gone on the break.)
Old 03-25-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

where i work they beat you if you talk without permission
Old 03-25-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I take breaks occasionally, and have never been questioned about it. I've left work to run errands, which take the same amount of time as a smoke break. I've never been questioned about that either.

Normally, though, I'm at my desk my entire shift, barring restroom breaks.
Old 03-25-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I notice that there is at least one guy at work here and it seems that no matter when I go outside, he's out there on a smoke break. I don't have a problem with it, but when does this guy ever get any work done?
Old 03-25-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First off, I am a smoker. I work for an ISP, and I can jump out for a butt whenever I want, I get my work done. Also, sometimes it will just take 2, maybe 3 minutes to smoke. Plus sometimes I am in a car, so that's easy. People I work with who do not smoke will sometimes just take a quick break here, or there, and it is fine. They deserve it. I will say that having a boss who smokes makes it WAY easier to be lax about smoking. Sometimes, I will be just coming back from a butt, and he will be going out, and have me come back out with him, and then we just relax for a bit, and take our time. I've also been at my place for 7 years, and have seniority which is nice.
Old 03-25-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in the same boat as the OP. There are numerous smokers at my job who take, seriously, up to 10 smoke breaks a day each one around 7-10 minutes in length. I take my own "fresh air" breaks, usually for a walk around the building or to just mull about outside. No one has said anything to me, yet, but if they should I'm more than prepared to justify them thanks to all of the extra breaks my smoking co-workers take.
Old 03-25-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I've got too much shit to get done to take tons of breaks
I take my hour lunch and two or three piss breaks, each of which is usually 2-3 minutes in length
guy behind me goes out smoking every 2 hours and comes back in reaking like an ashtray
Old 03-25-08, 08:10 PM

While working in the restaurant industry, where people generally do not receive specific break times, I had to teach many people the difference between a quick smoke and a smoke break.

A quick smoke was acceptable if you were caught up and someone else could cover for you for just a few minutes.

Smoke breaks could only happen if any remaining responsibilities you have bear no effect on the guests currently in the restaurant.

As a manager, however, these rules did not apply.

I never had any problem with non-smokers following the same rules for quick breathers or fresh air breaks.
Old 03-25-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I've got too much shit to get done to take tons of breaks
I take my hour lunch and two or three piss breaks, each of which is usually 2-3 minutes in length
guy behind me goes out smoking every 2 hours and comes back in reaking like an ashtray
same here. I'd feel guilty in taking a break. Theres one woman at my work who'll constantly talk on her cell phone. Theres been days when she goes out 7 times and that doesnt even include her smoke breaks! must be nice.
Old 03-25-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
where i work they beat you off if you talk without permission
Boy, I'd be talking ALL the time then.
Old 03-25-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like to take jerk-off breaks... No one really questions me so its all good!
Old 03-25-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I take "post on the internet" breaks, seems to be about as bad for your health as smoking and even more wasteful of company time
Old 03-25-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a non-smoker salaried employee, I don't feel guilty taking breaks - even someone with 'too much stuff to do' needs to step back from their cubicle so their brain doesn't turn to mush.

I learned a couple jobs back that even though I'm a non-smoker, the best thing I could do is befriend a smoker - gives me a reason to go on break, someone to go on break with, and I wouldn't feel cheated because I was having to make up work for someone who was getting more benefits than I was.

Michael
Old 03-25-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My workplace has plenty of smokers who take anywhere from 5 to 10 smoke breaks a day - around 10 minutes each. They still take their full one hour lunch break (or longer).

That doesn't really bother me. The huge amount of people who do very little work (smokers or non-smokers) throughout the day is what really bothers me. The work ethic where I am is so atrocious - smokers are the least of my concerns.
Old 03-26-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Spinning off the smoking ban thread...this is a thought I've kicked around from time to time to post here to get some feedback...

I am not going to argue against smoke breaks, for one. I know there are non smokers who are infuriated that smokers seem to get extra break times over non smokers (and they do), but if you are a non smoker, do you have an equal right to take your own extra breaks?
Are there workplaces that give extra breaks to smokers? Not sure why non-smokers should be infuriated (Unless workplaces are actually giving more time to smokers).

I do not know if its a right, but I am sure non-smokers take the same amount of breaks.
Old 03-26-08, 06:25 AM

I go out at least once an hour for a smoke.

The non-smokers will go outside on "cell-phone" breaks. So I guess it evens out.
Old 03-26-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We had someone at my old job successful use the "smoker breaks" defense when confronted with excessive internet usage. The result was a memo stating that personal time usage shouldn't exceed 30 mins a day, for any purpose.
Old 03-26-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If someone can smoke and get their work done, good for them.

If someone can't get their work done. whether they smoke or not, fire them.

The bottom line is the bottom line. If people can't manage their time effectively it doesn't matter what they are doing.
Old 03-26-08, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey

The bottom line is the bottom line. If people can't manage their time effectively it doesn't matter what they are doing.
Exactly, I smoke and work circles around almost everyone else in my office, smoker, or not.
Old 03-26-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just because someone has an addiction crutch they shouldn't be allowed extra breaks for it. Do people get extra breaks to shoot heroin or drink a bottle of beer?
Old 03-26-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would hate to work in a place where everyone else is counting my time to make sure they have the exact same amount. Lazy people will ALWAYS find a way to avoid work, whether it be smoking, chatting, web surfing, or just staring at the wall.
Old 03-26-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's a shame so many states have forbidden smoking in the work place. I think employers should be able to provide employees with a single, small, unventilated room where they can go to smoke and forbid them from going outside to do it.
Old 03-26-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
Just because someone has an addiction crutch they shouldn't be allowed extra breaks for it. Do people get extra breaks to shoot heroin or drink a bottle of beer?

maybe i am just so used to working in adult environments where we dont punch a clock or need a hall pass to take a leak. i never understand this gripe.

if you dont smoke and want to take a break, go ahead. if you can do this and manage to get your work done, good for you. if you cant, dont, or risk being reprimanded no matter what the reason is for leaving your work behind.
Old 03-26-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SoSpacey

Exactly. Most people aren't stamping out widgets on an assembly line for 8 hours a day. Time in does not equal work out any longer.
Old 03-26-08, 01:32 PM

I just wish that those who do take smoke breaks would stay away from the doors. It seems that whenever we go to the local WalGreens for whatever reason, there are 1 or 2 employees sitting on a bench right next to the door smoking. As a customer having to walk through that to get into or out of the building sucks. Maybe its the store who should put a bench out behind the place, or maybe its the employees who have no regard for others... whatever it is it needs to be resolved. That isn't the only place I see it either. California even has it as law, they need to be at least 100' from any entrance/exit into a public building. The ones I find funny are the liquor stores where the owner smokes at the counter... and it doesn't matter what race, I've seen them all doing it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.