Reload this Page >

How long 'til I lose my job?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-25-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many of you remember, I supervise writers and editors for a training and documentation firm. Friday I got a new boss. Monday the new boss said there won't be any changes to the department for 30 days. Tuesday he said that the Instructional Designers now own all documentation and they are now in charge of planning, scheduling, processes, etc.

This means that A) I no longer lead projects and B) my editors can only suggest changes; the IDs now decide if those changes are to be implemented. In other words, I supervise a team that has no real authority.

(As a side note, I asked the ID team if they would like my help transitioning them to take over my role, hearing what I've learned, etc. Despite the fact that many of them have never led others, they all said no.)

So, how long until I'm out of a job? Anyone care to guess?
Old 03-25-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you tell him you liked Michael Bolton's music?!
Old 03-25-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

What a bureaucratic disaster. This is the kind of brewing storm that precedes layoffs, and it seems like the new assh--erm, boss--has a real dictatorial ego. I would think management (i.e., higher-paying) positions would be the first to go.

You have 2 hours.
Old 03-25-08, 02:51 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesn't sound good b2k.

I would get the resume fired up if I were you.
Old 03-25-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been through this no less than 5 times. Four out of the 5 times I was called into a private meeting where I was praised, and told how valuable I was. Those 4 times my job survived. The time I did not get asked to a meeting the company went chapter 11 anyway. I'd start looking.
Old 03-25-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's been about 1 hr 15 min. since you started the thread. Do you still have your job?
Old 03-25-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still have a job, but luckily, I'm leaving for the rest of the week (knee surgery).

I'm thinking I should stick it out as long as possible to see what kind of severence package I can get.
Old 03-25-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Friday I got a new boss. Monday the new boss said there won't be any changes to the department for 30 days. Tuesday he said that the Instructional Designers now own all documentation and they are now in charge of planning, scheduling, processes, etc.
Does your boss have any prior experience with this kind of work? Any prior experiences with your group or the other groups? Or is this someone just off the street?

It seems weird to make a change so fast after just coming in. Either they had this planned in advance, were told from above to make this change, or they have really no clue what they are doing and took a suggestion from someone and just ran with it without learning the entire "big picture".
Old 03-25-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank

Old 03-25-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Use your accumulated sick leave now, unless they pay you for it at the end. I guess you could ask your new boss if there were any job openings you might fill at your current pay.
Old 03-25-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod
Does your boss have any prior experience with this kind of work? Any prior experiences with your group or the other groups? Or is this someone just off the street?

It seems weird to make a change so fast after just coming in. Either they had this planned in advance, were told from above to make this change, or they have really no clue what they are doing and took a suggestion from someone and just ran with it without learning the entire "big picture".
He has experience, apparently.

I do believe some of the things he's doing is right. However, at least half of the people he's giving authority to have struggled in leadership roles as well as their basic role. I'm all for a change if the people we have in place can make that change.

Instead, he's coming in, "fixing" everything, and assuming he has the right personnel in place to do it. Of course, he wouldn't know he has the wrong personnel because he's choosing to not discuss anything with the leadership team (other supervisors). This last part tells me I'll be out of a job soon...why would he not seek my input or support if he plans to keep me around?
Old 03-25-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should start casually mentioning you're a gun nut.
Old 03-25-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would start looking, but be open to discussing another job in the company. This is assuming you like your company, and want to stay with them.
Old 03-25-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
You should start casually mentioning you're a gun nut.
Just carry a copy of Guns&Ammo into the crapper at random times.
Old 03-27-08, 01:49 PM

A subtle hint

Or you could carry around a copy of Guns and Ammo and crap in his office.
Old 03-27-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hopefully soon. That way we don't have to see anymore threads with you complaining about it.
Old 03-27-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dude.... take a picture of the new boss... post it here and lets photochop him with Alexandra Dupree.... you will then definitely keep your job
Old 03-27-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Or go with:

Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn editors and writers so the Instructional Designers don't have to! I have people skills. I am good at dealing with people! Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?!?!
Old 03-27-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hang in there till the end. Make sure you have a backup plan though (savings, other business, contacts, etc.). These types of "change agents" come and go. If you have a network or a rabbi, you may eventually use it if you want to stick to this job. Otherwise, wait and see how things evolve. And yes, get an operation or hurt your foot playing golf. Leave for 1 month at least and see what 's going on, you'll feel like new and no one will dare touch you since employers fear getting into health related discussions.
Old 03-28-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

hide your stapler...

smuggle it out of the building ASAP...
Old 03-28-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a demotion to me. Demand an explanation, and refuse to accept the demotion.

Having your job description changed without notice is one of the few times you can quit and still get unemployment.
Old 03-28-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mapasu
And yes, get an operation or hurt your foot playing golf. Leave for 1 month at least and see what 's going on, you'll feel like new and no one will dare touch you since employers fear getting into health related discussions.
Yeah, an unnecessary medical procedure is probably the best solution.