Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Internet Addiction to be classified as a mental illness in the DSM IV in 2012

Old 03-25-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Internet Addiction to be classified as a mental illness in the DSM IV in 2012

Just read the following article on Yahoo:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/87251

Now i have to admit that i spend a hell of a lot of time on the computer and online. I would not say i am an addict however, and i think they are gonna have a hard time classifying this as being a mental issue. The way i see it is that now instead of using maybe five different things, i have them all combined into one unit. I can send email using it (eliminating writing letters), i use Skype to talk to family and friends (eliminating the use of a telephone), i watch movies on it (eliminating a TV and DVD player), i listen to music on it (eliminating a stero system), i read a lot on it (eliminating books), i play games on it (eliminating a console) and not to forget that i need a computer for the job that i do. So i would not say its an addiction for me per say....its just a case that i have moved technologies and compartmentalized them all into a single unit. I mean i still use a phone, read a book and watch TV...but i just don't need to do them all as much anymore. its interesting to read that the people who are most affected are stay at home women who don't get out much. I can see some people that really do have a problem, the type of people that spend all their time on Myspace and Facebook. I think thats fine, but whenever i use my Facebook page i am on and off it pretty quick.

So what do you guys think? I work in a hospital where research is done on things like this and what worries me is that the people doing the research will be quick to say people have addicitions when in fact none really exist in the vast majority of people.
Old 03-25-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mental illness?

What a fucking joke.
Old 03-25-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It fits under the addiction model. People who truly are addicts have real problems, and it negatively impacts their life (job loss, family discord, etc). I've known pr0n/sex addicts, and it really isn't a pretty situation....even though sex is involved. Same with this Dx.
Old 03-25-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sick. Seriously... I'm not sick! Stop it. Don't classify this as some sort of... I'm not sick! Stop it! I don't want to click that stupid ad. Why is that ad still coming up? Free iPod? Seriously? I don't want to sign up for this. What a scam. Why isn't the back button working? Oh, history does it. Stupid banner ads. Oh... LOL that video is hilarious. How do I copy and paste a youtu... LOL look at that. Stop it. I'm not sick!
Old 03-25-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gosh! I can't wait to brag about this at the next family reunion!
Old 03-25-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As with anything, they're talking about extreme cases, I'm sure. If you simply can't pull yourself away from the Internet and take care of your basic human needs, I'd agree that you have a mental problem. You're probably also male, overweight, and a virgin. Just some symptoms to help you folks self-diagnose.
Old 03-25-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My name is DrMoze, and I'm an internet addict.
Old 03-25-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if insurance and/or disability will cover it. I believe that my uncle has this particular illness.
Old 03-25-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've looked at the DSM IV before. The basic diagnosis is always that if the patient allows the activity to do serious damage to the rest of his life, he probably has a problem.

It's normal behavior to sit on the toilet. It's not normal if you stay on it until your skin bonds to the seat.
Old 03-25-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by debbert
I wonder if insurance and/or disability will cover it. I believe that my uncle has this particular illness.
It'd probably get Dx'd with something like an adjustment disorder, so the billing goes under treatment for the adjustment disorder. Insurance kind of sucks like that.