Those crazy Utah State kids...

Old 03-25-08, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those crazy Utah State kids...

http://www.kutv.com/content/news/top...2-c1bcac65c86f

Students At Utah State Play 'Drinking Game' With Root Beer Instead

Last Update: 3/24 8:42 pm

Print Story | Email Story

(File/AP) LOGAN - Utah State University students are putting a new spin on an old game.
Beirut -- or beer pong -- is a favorite among college students. The objective is to bounce a pingpong ball from one end of a table into a cluster of cups at the other end. If the ball lands in a cup, the owner of that cup drinks its contents -- usually, beer.

That's where USU students take exception. On a dry campus with a heavily Mormon population, the Aggies play with root beer.

``People are pretty excited about the event,'' said coordinator Megan Darrington. ``We want to make this a tradition at USU.''

Campus Recreation Chairman Lance Brown elaborated on why he thinks the game, which students played Friday at the Taggart Student Center, has caught on.

``It's like people here want to look worldly, but they don't want to be worldly,'' he said. ``Living in a Mormon community, students want to push the edge a little.''

The event was sponsored by the school's student council and organized by the Associated Students of USU's athletics group. Organizers arranged a bracketed tournament competition, and teams of two with names like Sobriety and A&W came to play.

Even onlookers seemed to enjoy the contests.

``It's good for our student body to relax and help people experience something they normally wouldn't,'' said Lindsay Hall.

Winners took home T-shirts, gift cards and other prizes.

Brown said he doesn't see Beirut's popularity fading any time soon. The chances that USU's adaptation will make another appearance on campus are good, too.

``I've been around the country, and there are more mocktail parties in Utah than anywhere I've been,'' he said.
Old 03-25-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So "G" rated game.
Old 03-25-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Root beer
Old 03-25-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yea, this sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 03-25-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So instead of liver damage and casual sex, they get a higher risk of obesity.
Old 03-25-08, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
So instead of liver damage and casual sex, they get a higher risk of obesity.
Hey, I'll take the liver damage, and casual sex over being fat any day.
Old 03-25-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why is it called "Beirut"? To make it seems more dangerous...or the least bit exciting (which it isn't)?
Old 03-25-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Why is it called "Beirut"? To make it seems more dangerous...or the least bit exciting (which it isn't)?
It's a pretty good icebreaker at parties.

(For white people).
Old 03-25-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

''Living in a Mormon community, students want to push the edge a little.''

By drinking root beer?

If that's what they like, more power to 'em. Personally, I would only want
Old 03-25-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hear they may be going to the Finals this year against the Amish lemonade team.
Old 03-25-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Root beer. {shudder}

Never trust a culture in which the men rarely masturbate. Mark my words.
Old 03-25-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Simple game for highly energetic people. Low No buzz factor. Required supplies: people and beer root beer.

[drumming]
"What's the name of the game?"
"Thumper!"
"And why do we play the game?"
"To drink root beer!"
[/drumming]
Old 03-25-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sebring98
Living in a Mormon community, students want to push the edge a little.''
At my undergrad we'd use jungle juice (because a lot of the girls didn't like beer, and frankly....good party = party with lots of girls), penalty shots (any foul gave the offending team a penalty 'shot', while also rewarding the PP balls back to shooting team), and stripping....because the only thing better than a bunch of women playing Pong, is a bunch of scantily clad drunk women playing Pong. We had a regulation table made at the house, so we'd be in top form for our matches......

Damn, I miss undergrad.
Old 03-25-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pedagogue
At my undergrad we'd use jungle juice (because a lot of the girls didn't like beer, and frankly....good party = party with lots of girls),
Speak for yourself!
Old 03-25-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Speak for yourself!
I figured someone would say that.

Gay guy parties \ clubs are fun too, as there are almost always straight women there (at least in the beginning of the night), and it is a great place to pick up straight women who want more attention once the guys start pairing off. It is all in the timing....don't show up too early, but get there before the women leave....as it quickly gets way too touchy feely for this straight guy.
Old 03-25-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figured someone would say that.

Gay guy parties \ clubs are fun too, as there are almost always straight women there (at least in the beginning of the night), and it is a great place to pick up straight women who want more attention once the guys start pairing off. It is all in the timing....don't show up too early, but get there before the women leave....as it quickly gets way too touchy feely for this straight guy.
Very true!
Old 03-25-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
and peddy gets the "you're not the typical jock for coming to an alternative club" from the women too... so smart... so very smart...
Old 03-25-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey... that's my Alma Mater you're talking about!
Old 03-25-08, 02:45 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

So I get the unhygienic aspect of the game (drinking out of a cup that just had a ball in it that has been on the floor, countless people's hands, etc.) without getting the buzz that makes me not care about how unhygienic it is? No thanks.
Old 03-25-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love a good game of beer pong. I don't really see the point of root beer pong, besides getting full off root beer. At least use something that punishes the other team when you make a shot. Like motor oil or syrup.
Old 03-25-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a problem with this... Actually I could care less, but I think there is a problem with what these guys are doing.. So morally they can't drink alcohol for whatever reason..yet they are playing a game known as a drinking game.. If you are a bystander, not knowing it is root beer, you could get the idea that these guys are drinking.. and it would portray their religion in a bad light..

If I remember correctly from hebrew school, in the jewish religion, you can't do things like that.. for example, you couldn't eat a hamburger with 'fake cheese' that looked like a real hamburger because to a stranger, it would give the perception that you didn't care about your religion
Old 03-25-08, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by slymer
I love a good game of beer pong. I don't really see the point of root beer pong, besides getting full off root beer. At least use something that punishes the other team when you make a shot. Like motor oil or syrup.
Old 03-25-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got any near beer? Nah, let's get some near wine - grape juice.
Old 03-25-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wishbon3
and peddy gets the "you're not the typical jock for coming to an alternative club" from the women too... so smart... so very smart...
You betcha!

"You are so open minded!" Yeah...well that, and I know there are plenty of single women who go to gay clubs so they can not be harassed by straight guys, but then it hits a point where the want some attention, and that's where I come in. My gay friends help scope out the single chicks and then go through 'the network' to figure out who she came here with, and then *BAM*...that's where I come in. Sometimes I even get a drink out of a forward guy, and though he may be disappointed when he finds out I don't bat for the home team, I thank him for the compliment.
Old 03-25-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Y Sometimes I even get a drink out of a forward guy, and though he may be disappointed when he finds out I don't bat for the home team, I thank him for the compliment.
Using men for free drinks. Slut.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.