Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Are Big Mac's Supposed To Have 2 Slices Of Cheese Or Just 1?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-24-08, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is really bugging me and in light of how the economy is going, I'm wondering if McDonald's is trying to find ways to rip customers off without them really noticing it. The past 2 times I've gotten a Big Mac at 2 completely different McDonald's (within the last month), both sandwiches only had 1 slice of cheese (on the bottom hamburger). A friend went to one of the same McDonald's and also got only 1 slice of cheese (confirming it wasn't just a random event). I know dairy product prices have really gone up for restaurants but if McDonald's is ripping off customers to save 1 slice of cheese on their signature sandwich that's pretty bad.

So am I completely wrong? Does the Big Mac only have 1 slice of cheese or should it have 2? Wikipedia says "2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun". No mention of how many slices of cheese.

Last edited by shifrbv; 03-24-08 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-24-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
As an ex-McDonald's manager, Big Macs have 1 slice of cheese of the heel (bottom portion) of the bun.

The club section (middle) and heel sections each get a shot of Mac sauce, 10 - 15 dehydrated onions on top of that and lettuce on top of both sections.

The heel then gets a slice of cheese and a cooked hamburger patty.

The club section then get 2 pickles (end to end) on top of the lettuce and a cooked hamburger patty.

The crown (top portion) is then toasted (carmelized) and placed on top.

Last edited by speedy1961; 03-24-08 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-24-08, 03:21 PM

From what I remember of making them years ago (my first job) there was only one slice of cheese. I don't think it's changed. And wow, if this is all you have to worry about, consider yourself lucky!
Old 03-24-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quarter pounders have 2 slices. Fish has 1/2.
Old 03-24-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently you've been getting too much cheese all these years. I insist you make reparations to the McDonald's corporation at once!
Old 03-24-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't had a Big Mac in a long time. Now I want one.

And I'll even settle for the standard single slice of cheese.
Old 03-24-08, 03:41 PM
Banned

OK. I don't know why but the sandwich just seemed empty on the top portion without any cheese and I thought it should be there. Guess I was wrong.
Old 03-24-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shifrbv
OK. I don't know why but the sandwich just seemed empty on the top portion without any cheese and I thought it should be there. Guess I was wrong.
It's quality thinking like that that will move you right up from flipping burgers to assistant manager!
Old 03-24-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

KFC is doing this as well, They used to have the 'Triple Twister' I believe, its a wrap with chicken pieces in there. Well now, its just the 'Twister', and is now only 2 chicken pieces in there.

Here is the kicker though, Its the same price.
Old 03-24-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm always annoyed about the double whopper at Burger king. If ever a burger deserved 2 slices of cheese, this was it! And to compound my misery, they always put the cheese on top of the top burger, instead of in between them, causing the 2 burgers to slide around on top of each other. It's madness!
Old 03-24-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
KFC is doing this as well, They used to have the 'Triple Twister' I believe, its a wrap with chicken pieces in there. Well now, its just the 'Twister', and is now only 2 chicken pieces in there.
I used to get Twisters a lot. Never saw the Triple Twister. But if they actually called it the Triple Twister, then this really isn't the same thing at all.

And yeah... prices are going up everywhere, it sucks.
Old 03-24-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I used to get Twisters a lot. Never saw the Triple Twister. But if they actually called it the Triple Twister, then this really isn't the same thing at all.

And yeah... prices are going up everywhere, it sucks.

I think I mispoke..It used to be called the 'triple crunch', but now its called just the KFC crunch or something?
Old 03-24-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
When did McDonald's go from minced onions to bigger pieces of onion on the larger hamburgers? I usually get cheeseburgers but I noticed that the quarter pounder I get upon occasion has larger onions and the taste seems a bit off to me.
Old 03-24-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One slice of cheese. Two slices would be a special order for extra cheese.
Old 03-24-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I haven't had a Big Mac in a long time. Now I want one.
I want one too.
Old 03-24-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

happened to buy one on the way home from work and am eating it right now.

One slice of "cheese".
Old 03-24-08, 05:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm Danol damn it !

Originally Posted by The Bus
I want one too.
Didn't you all get the coupons in the mail at the beginning of March? One was for a 99 cent Big Mac.

I'll regret this confession later, but.... The day I got mine in the mail. I glanced into the trash can in my building's mail room, the place that everyone throws their junk mail (it doesn't get used for anything else, just junk mail, even has a sign indicating such). I saw a few of these McDonald's coupon packets lying on top. I grabbed 3-4 extra out of the trash can. They were clean, still on their doilies. Bonus points for getting this reference.
Old 03-24-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't have 'em very often but every time I do, I get sad because they seem so much smaller than when they first came out. Or at least it seems that way.

Oh, years ago I won some contest at work. The prize was a free Big Mac a week for an entire year. Thankfully, I was allowed to get more than one per visit.
Old 03-24-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I've only had 3 Big Mac's in my entire life. I'm more of a chicken nugget kind of guy.
Old 03-24-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got the coupons and had one for .99. Still dont whats so great about a Big
Mac. I prefer a 1.00 double cheeseburger, plain. Also used the 2 McSkillet Buritos (got steak ones) and was running to the latrine all day both times.

Old 03-24-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, the $1 double cheeseburgers are a nice deal.

Geeeze, now I wanna go pick up a couple
Old 03-24-08, 07:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Yeah, the $1 double cheeseburgers are a nice deal.

Geeeze, now I wanna go pick up a couple
I used to live off those $1 double cheeseburgers, probably averaged at least one a day for years. One or two of those and a water would fill me up for a buck or two, cheap and fast.

But I'm looking to lose weight and start eating healthier, and noticed that those things have like 12 grams of the bad kind of fat. So know I pretty much only go to McDonalds when I have coupons, and I'll never get a double cheeseburger again. I'll get a mcchicken for $1 if I must, it has like a third of the fat.
Old 03-24-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I want one too.
go kill your neighbor's dog and grind it up then fry it

same difference
Old 03-24-08, 09:39 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by wishbon3
When did McDonald's go from minced onions to bigger pieces of onion on the larger hamburgers? I usually get cheeseburgers but I noticed that the quarter pounder I get upon occasion has larger onions and the taste seems a bit off to me.
Sliced onions have been the standard on Quarter Pounders (and above) for pretty much ever. Hamburgers, cheeseburgers, and double cheeseburgers get the reconstituted onion treatment. We used to have a bet at the McDonald's I worked at in high school while we closed the store whether or not someone could drink the onion juice at the bottom of the reconstituted onion container. I'm pretty sure someone gave it a try, but the memory is really fuzzy like I subconsciously blocked it out.
Old 03-25-08, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Big Mac's are always $1 here on Mondays. Damn, I missed it.

For awhile, it seemed they were shrinking, I had to eat 2 to fill me up, now 1 seems enough.

I agree about the Double Whopper and the cheese in the wrong place. Always bugs me that the patties slide. Lately, I've just been buying 2 Whopper Jr's.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.