Old 03-24-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon man's property ransacked after Craigslist hoax

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....1ffb2c9c.html

Oregon man's property ransacked after Craigslist hoax

10:29 AM PDT on Monday, March 24, 2008

Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE, Ore. -- A pair of hoax ads on Craigslist cost an Oregon man much of what he owned.

The ads popped up Saturday afternoon, saying the owner of a Jacksonville home was forced to leave the area suddenly and his belongings, including a horse, were free for the taking, said Jackson County sheriff's Detective Sgt. Colin Fagan.

But Robert Salisbury had no plans to leave. The independent contractor was at Emigrant Lake when he got a call from a woman who had stopped by his house to claim his horse.

On his way home he stopped a truck loaded down with his work ladders, lawn mower and weed eater.

"I informed them I was the owner, but they refused to give the stuff back," Salisbury said. "They showed me the Craigslist printout and told me they had the right to do what they did."

The driver sped away after rebuking Salisbury. On his way home he spotted other cars filled with his belongings.

Once home he was greeted by close to 30 people rummaging through his barn and front porch.

The trespassers, armed with printouts of the ad, tried to brush him off. "They honestly thought that because it appeared on the Internet it was true," Salisbury said. "It boggles the mind."

Jacksonville police and Jackson County sheriff's deputies arrived but by then several cars packed with Salisbury's property had fled.

He turned some license plate numbers over to police.

Michelle Easley had seen the ad that claimed Salisbury's horse had been declared abandoned by the sheriff's department and was free to a good home.

"I can't stand to see a horse suffer so I drove out there and got her," Easley said. "The horse didn't look abandoned. She is in good shape for being 32 years old."

But it looked odd, so she left a note on Salisbury's door explaining the ad. She then decided to call to make sure the ad was legitimate when the second similar ad appeared.

"I feel bad because I was a part of it," Easley said. "It felt right to call the police."

Fagan praised Easley's honestly but said prosecution was likely for anybody caught with Salisbury's property.

Items can be returned with no questions asked, Fagan said.

Detectives have contacted Craigslist's legal team to try to trace the ad.

Meanwhile, Salisbury could not even relax on his porch swing.

Someone took it.

Wow, someone didn't like him!
Old 03-24-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the new way to screw someone over. Don't sign them up for e-mail lists and catalogs, post a Craigslist ad giving all of their shit away.
Old 03-24-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is a case where the person who posted the ad and the asshats who believed it all deserve to be shot where they stand.
Old 03-24-08, 03:34 PM

You gotta wonder if this story will give some more dickheads an idea about how to fuck over people they don't like.

Scary shit.
Old 03-24-08, 03:37 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody have Groucho's address?
Old 03-24-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jpoppe
You gotta wonder if this story will give some more dickheads an idea about how to fuck over people they don't like.

Scary shit.
I've actually heard of this happening before so I can't say that this was an original idea. It may have been just an urban legend before though.
Old 03-24-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could this have been kvrdave's test run?
Old 03-24-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Who thinks Craiglist should be held accountible for this crap? I seem to recall this isn't the first time this has happened either.
Old 03-24-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
I've actually heard of this happening before so I can't say that this was an original idea. It may have been just an urban legend before though.
It happened in San Francisco last year.
Old 03-24-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how can you stop this? this is very dangerous and craigslist needs to figure out a way to prevent this. Whats going to stop somebody from posting in the "Casual Encounters" section somebody elses address? especially a rape fantasy, scary stuff.
Old 03-24-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PrincessT
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....1ffb2c9c.html

"I informed them I was the owner, but they refused to give the stuff back," Salisbury said. "They showed me the Craigslist printout and told me they had the right to do what they did."
Was this on fatwallet as well?
Old 03-24-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sauce07
how can you stop this? this is very dangerous and craigslist needs to figure out a way to prevent this. Whats going to stop somebody from posting in the "Casual Encounters" section somebody elses address? especially a rape fantasy, scary stuff.
So you don't want me to come over in my ninja suit and my special "sword"?
Old 03-24-08, 04:15 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe the ransackers actually had the balls to refer to that printout as some sort of legal contract. And that anyone would actually read the ad in first place without stopping to think, "Something ain't right here."
Old 03-24-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice bargain

= J
Old 03-24-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How fucking retarded can you be to believe that this would be a real ad? I hope anyone who took stuff should be given a jail sentence. They are that stupid.
Old 03-24-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

" ..'scuse me... I saw an ad on craigslist that says I can have sex wit' your daughter."

"Well, if it's on craigslist, it must be real! I'll go get her."

Yup, we've devolved into idiots.
Old 03-24-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dieinafire
How fucking retarded can you be to believe that this would be a real ad? I hope anyone who took stuff should be given a jail sentence. They are that stupid.

Someone should just post on CL that anyone who took the items is under arrest, I'm guessing they would all turn themselves in 'cause it was on the nets!
Old 03-24-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Craigslist specifically prohibits "it's free, just pick it up" ads for this very reason.

And, I bet a lot of these people had a good idea that the ad was fake, but found it a goo excuse.
Old 03-24-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I miss funny Groucho
Old 03-24-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did they break into his house to get his stuff too? I cant wait till they catch some of these guys and we get to hear the bullshit explanation to the judge. It's fucking robbery and they knew it.
Old 03-24-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe even more interesting is if they discover it was the same people who posted the ad on craigslist. Post the ad.. then go rob the house and say you saw that it was OK on craigslist.. Interesting tactic.

Last edited by General Zod; 04-01-08 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-24-08, 05:04 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I bet there was a bit of mob mentality involved in this too. Some of them might have went by on a whim, and as soon as they saw other people doing it they decided it was 'okay'.
Old 03-24-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i wonder who got his pr0n
Old 03-24-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
Did they break into his house to get his stuff too? I cant wait till they catch some of these guys and we get to hear the bullshit explanation to the judge. It's fucking robbery and they knew it.
Maybe the ad said he was giving away his door locks and window glass, too.
Old 03-24-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jonw9
I miss funny Groucho
I got him free through a craigslist ad.

When he's done with the dishes and shining my work boots, maybe I'll let him post.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.