18% gratuity at a Buffet?

Old 10-23-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: 18% gratuity at a Buffet?

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Also Mongolian grills are awesome
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
There's a Mongolian BBQ buffet out here and it's pretty damn_delicious. It's a great place for the snobs that turn their noses up at buffets.

I was oblivious to "stacking" until I went to Mongolian Grill with a couple of coworkers. One bowl even had a transition layer of four eggs between the meat in the bowl and the noodles on the top. The grill cook shook his head when they placed their bowls on the counter but he cooked it all anyway.
Old 10-23-12, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts

I wish we had a mongolian bbq here still, even a chain-style overpriced one like bd's or Fire + Ice would do.
Old 10-23-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 422 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post

I was oblivious to "stacking" until I went to Mongolian Grill with a couple of coworkers. One bowl even had a transition layer of four eggs between the meat in the bowl and the noodles on the top. The grill cook shook his head when they placed their bowls on the counter but he cooked it all anyway.
I don't stack ridiculously high (just enough that I can be full without paying for a second bowl), but I always put my veggies in before the meats, because the meats stick to each other and you can pile your bowl higher that way.
Old 10-23-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts

damn, looking at that makes me want to go get some Mongolian BBQ.
Old 10-23-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Uh... isn't that a Japanese buffet? It's in English there and everything.

I see this at a lot of AYCE sushi places, where they don't want people taking just the fish and leaving all the rice.

On a side note, I started noticing that the "recommended" tip amounts they sometimes put on receipts is actually 10/15/20% of the bill AFTER taxes... don't people generally tip on the pre-tax amount? Or am I just a crappy customer?
It was just a sign I found on Google. I never said that was a sign from the restaurant my wife and I went to. Sorry to offend you.
Old 10-23-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
what's the difference between a buffet and these places that have all you can eat nights? for example in LA we have a $10 al you can eat sushi place, but no sharing thats basically just a buffet right? We also have all you can eat burger nights (if you take the bread off you can eat a lot more). And all you can eat brunch till 3pm on Sundays at some places (with bottomless bloody mary's).
AYCE sushi for 10$ in LA?

Hell up here in Puyallup (About 30 miles from seattle) There is AYCE Sushi but it is 24.99$
Old 10-23-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep all the meats in one bowl, everything else in the other bowl.
Old 10-23-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
We were at a Japanese/Chinese buffet in Santa Monica and when I paid at the counter the bitch had the nerve to ask out loud for everyone behind me to hear why I didn't add a tip to the credit card receipt. She said "Why...service not good?" All they did was clear the dishes off the table and nothing else. I had every intention of leaving a tip with her before she said that. I was so pissed I cussed her out in Cantonese. Basically I told her to fuck off and walked out. The look on her face was priceless.
What he left out....he never knew Cantonese before he ate there!! Take THAT Rosetta Stone!
Old 10-23-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 422 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I keep all the meats in one bowl, everything else in the other bowl.
At the places I've been to, you only get one bowl. If you grab a second bowl, you have to pay the all you can eat rate, but you can pile as much as you want into your first bowl and only pay for one bowl.
Old 10-23-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post

What a waste. I cram as much meat as I can. I don't waste time with cheap noodles and vegetables.
Old 10-23-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

At Flat Top Grill it's only a buck more to go from one bowl to as many as you want, so I typically just do that and don't jam it full each time. Get to try different flavors as well.
Old 10-23-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Love the Mongolian bbq/buffet. Of course, you're getting the food cooked fresh right in front of you (even if it was sitting out on the buffet line). I definitely spend the extra buck or two and get the buffet, I like smaller experimentations. Although just with the sauces/spices, I'm a meatatarian there.

I think I usually tip 3 bucks there, for a couple of reasons - I usually go on kids night when my boy is free (and of course I would count the value of his meal anyway), and I've gone enough that I'm a regular.

Sometimes I go to a buffet/AYCE for the volume, sometimes for the variety.
Old 10-23-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a new chinese place by me, that used to be amazing... closed down/sold and reopened same design, smae staff, but now as your'e paying your bill, the staff sits there and just stares at you ... its a shame. It's awkward, and their only purpose is plate clearing, it's a soda fountain set up as well. It's retarded.
Old 10-30-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
And what place in LA offers all you can eat burgers?
Still waiting for answers to this (and sushi place)
Old 10-30-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've lived in LA my whole life and never heard of an All you can eat burger place.
Old 10-30-12, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Awesome. I got to the Mongolian BBQ all the time. It's a good way to get some meat and veggie fast food, instead of burgers. I'm a beast at those places, and always end up with two full take out boxes of chow. I feel kind of bad sometimes, because I think I use up $10 in meat and veggies.

I usually pack a ton of meat and then smash it down - leaving it level with the top of the bowl. Then I pile on veggies and whatnot. And then a giant clump of noodles at the end.

As for other kinds of 'all you can eat' (especially Chinese food), I try to stay away. I can really pile in that food. And it leaves me feeling tired for the day, followed by a giant bear poo.
Old 10-31-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post
What he left out....he never knew Cantonese before he ate there!! Take THAT Rosetta Stone!
Yeah and I'll cuss you out in tagalog, too if I hear you talking shit behind my back!!!