Reload this Page >

Trying to buy a used car, have some questions

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-23-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so I'm trying to buy a used car in the under 5k range, preferably something around 3k and I'd like to buy from a dealer so I don't have to worry about smog, warrenty, someone moving, etc.

I live in the l.a. area, torrance/carson area and don't know where to go to. The only used dealers I can find are all in the 10,000 + range.

I've found a few dealers in craigslist, and gone to the lots, but most are either lying about what they have, how much they're selling it for, or only have ten cars in their "lot" .

anyone have any advice or know a way of finding used dealers that are of a certain price range? and not skuzzy?
\
thanks
Old 03-23-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

autotrader.com
Old 03-24-08, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find a large franchise dealer (vw, honda, acura, toyota, etc.) that will have a car in your price range. they don't seek out these cars, and if they do get them, they tend to get rid of them real quickly. smaller dealers that deal with cars in that price range most of the time aren't very reputable, and are smaller .

Carmax is an option...they're higher priced than private sellers, but they do offer a 5-day moneyback guarantee, and a limited warranty. i'm not sure if they offer cars in your price range though.

i don't think you'll find much with a warranty when you're buying a car for under 5k. the most you can find is a short warranty (maybe 30-90 days), and they're typically very limited.

also, when buying a used car, make sure they have all maintenance documentation. if the car has 50k+ miles, and hasn't had an oil change, then you're asking for trouble.
Old 03-24-08, 01:01 AM
Suspended

Is AutoTrader the Recycler's paper for used automobiles? If so, I bought so much stuff through the Recycler when I lived in So.Cal. Good call.
Old 03-24-08, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find a large franchise dealer (vw, honda, acura, toyota, etc.) that will have a car in your price range. they don't seek out these cars, and if they do get them, they tend to get rid of them real quickly. smaller dealers that deal with cars in that price range most of the time aren't very reputable, and are smaller .
I work for a dealership Evansville, Indiana and I agree with what D.Pham said.. Although, It is worth a shot to stop by the pre owned area of one of the larger lots and see what they would have for 5k.
Old 03-24-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wold think for $3000 that any car you buy is going to need work. If not immediately upon purchase, then within the next 1000 miles.

You are mostly going to find 10 year old cars with over 100,000 miles on them and most likely without any maintenance history.

Your best bet would be autotrader.com or a local newspaper and find a local mechanic to give the car a once over for $50-$75 before you buy it so that you have a little clue as to what you are in for.
Old 03-26-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the help. I used autotrader and found a few dealers, one pretty close to where I live and pretty big.

A few more questions though, the dealer has a car listed but then says
prices do not include tax,lic,or doc fees , how much are those usually?

And registration usually costs like 150 or something too right?

I think I remember my sister buying a car for sticker price but it included all tax/lic fees.

any help would be great.
Old 03-26-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
For your price range, you'll probably do better buying from an individual. The dealers will have a couple of thousand markup over what they paid. Around here, dealers give no warranty on cars that cheap and they are sold "as is."

With a private individual you can tell them to smog-test the car before you buy it. If you tell a mechanic that you want a pre-purchase inspection, he'll know what to do. And you get more car for less money, because you cut out the dealer, who is just a middle-man.
Old 03-26-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
thanks for the help. I used autotrader and found a few dealers, one pretty close to where I live and pretty big.

A few more questions though, the dealer has a car listed but then says
prices do not include tax,lic,or doc fees , how much are those usually?

And registration usually costs like 150 or something too right?

I think I remember my sister buying a car for sticker price but it included all tax/lic fees.

any help would be great.
Tax, title, and registration will be different for each state. They're often set by law. Just call a random dealer and ask him how much it is.