Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Sending social security card to a company over the fax.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-23-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interesting in providing translating services to a company, both document translation and over-the-phone translations. They want the following:

Application

IRS Form W-9

Copy of Social Security Card

Professional Resume (including interpreting/translating experience)

The company is http://www.bayareatranslations.com/

How can I find out if this company is legit? I first heard of them through the Las Vegas Craigslist.
Old 03-23-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From what I have heard you should NEVER disclose your SSN to anyone. Especially, to an on-line place you dont know about.

Old 03-23-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking of telling them I'll send in the application and if they are ready to make me an offer I can go in personally (it's California, so it's drivable) and see their headquarters and take my SS# card with me and fill out the W9 and all that paperwork then.

How can I find out stuff about this company?
Old 03-23-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems legit to me. I would go in personally and show your SS# like you said, unless there is a specific reason they need it. They've been registered online since 2001.
Old 03-23-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does the application ask for your DL number and whether you have a security clearance?

Only thing I can think of is to do whois check, address/phone check, and more online research on the company. You already have the credit monitoring service, right?
Old 03-23-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I think they are interested and the SS# is to do taxes and such, like when you get hired as a contractor, not for any kind of check. They already saw my resume. I do have credit monitoring.
Old 03-25-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I was thinking of telling them I'll send in the application and if they are ready to make me an offer I can go in personally (it's California, so it's drivable) and see their headquarters and take my SS# card with me and fill out the W9 and all that paperwork then.

How can I find out stuff about this company?
And what exactly are you going to see at their offices to indicate they are a legit operation?

I have news for you. I can open a business with a downtown New York address, have a 212 area code, and be nowhere near New York. The office could be a forwarding address, the phone number could be obtained very easily.
Old 03-25-08, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^Well, there are ways to find out if a business has been physically located there for a while, and other stuff.

I think giving them the SS# after she's hired is the proper thing. They don't need it if she's not hired.

Second, GatorDeb can ask them for references, and who's used them. She can also visit the local neighboring businesses and ask questions about the business in question.

You can only do so much. Just like with PayPal or eBay, you can do all the investigative work you want, but in the end, it comes down some little dab of trust the person you're dealing with is legit.

http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/dep...Firm_B-BL_.htm

Lists them as a business. Not much, but every little bit of legit info adds up to a solid company profile.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-25-08 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-25-08, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I didn't have to submit my I-9 with my new job until the same time I submitted my W-4 and other similar paperwork. Still, as someone above mentioned, some of it may also be used for background investigations depending on the nature of the job (any job with a clearance is going to require your SSN up front). Normally though, I think they have to tell you that up front.